Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospital or Surgical Center

My doctor asked me if I preferred to have my Tummy Tuck surgery in the hospital or at the surgical center. If I go to the surgical center, they will want me to stay the night in a hotel near the surgical center rather than drive all the way home. (I live about 40 miles from both the hospital and the surgical center.) I asked her which was the least hassle. She said that most people prefer the surgical center because they sleep better in the hotel than they could in the hospital. But she also said that I would have to leave the surgical center and go to the hotel very soon after surgery is completed. So, which should I choose?

I would definitely choose the hospital. While you may not sleep as well, help will be there in seconds if you need it.

I would choose the surgical center. I hate staying in hospitals, though. Every surgery I've ever had, including my sleeve surgery, was done outpatient so I didn't have to spend the night in a hospital. The one exception was my hysterectomy, but I was out by 9:30 the next morning.

I would most definitely go to the hospital. I had my lower body lift at the hospital and stayed over night. I wasn't ready for my 40 mile car ride home then either. I don't think I could have done it the day before. I also had my arms done, and it was a 6 hour surgery, so the anesthesia really knocked me out.

I had my thighs and breasts done at a surgery center, and that also ended up being about 6 hours. My surgery was later in the day and I had a hard time waking up, and didn't leave till about 10 pm. I kept trying to, but just couldn't stay upright. They should have probably sent me to the hospital, because my blood pressure was too low. I passed out at home in the bathroom, and the only reason I wasn't hurt is because my daughter caught me.

So, if you have an option, go with the higher level of care. This is a major surgery, and the pain management will be much better in the hospital.

I would stay in the hospital , because I would want the extra 1 on 1 car for at least the next 24 hours, i am currently looking into a Tummy Tuck and I have noticed most want to do it in one day and then you are release. I am sure that you will make the right choice for you . Good luck,

Tough one. I had my band surgery in a German hospital. Excellent care, but i felt imprisoned. They kept me for like 5 days (a very German thing to do I might add). I thought I was dying and the surgeon recognized I was having the hospital blues and finally released me. :)

I had my band removal in day surgery, surgical center - went home same day.

I had my sleeve in a surgical center, and they kept me overnight because they changed the protocol for people with sleep apnea. That was a great experience. 3 patients, one nurse, and just knowing that I was being watched over, but not in a hospital was perfect.

My rather extensive plastics was done in a surgical center attached to a hospital. I stayed for 3 days in the "surgical center" which was more detailed care than any USA hospital I have ever been at. One of the key reasons I went to Mexico for plastics was that I could not visualize it as day surgery - and that is what was offered to me here in Seattle. I needed the care and am grateful for it. Plastics is a much bigger deal in terms of the surgery than the sleeve was.

Take the option that gives you the most "help"

I would choose the hospital. You will have plenty of time to catch up on your sleep when you go home.

I forgot to mention that I would be visited by a nurse at the hotel if I chose the surgical center. But even with that help, I think I'll go ahead and opt for the hospital. In the first 12 hours after my breast reduction I was in no shape to go anywhere. I think the recovery from the TT will probably be similar.

@@IcanMakeit good choice. However, there is no comparison between a Tummy Tuck and breast surgery. Cutting the skin hurts either place and that part is similar, but the surface area is much larger with the tummy tuck, and your entire abdominal skin is separated from the underlying tissue. The manipulation and sewing of the muscles is what causes the most discomfort. Everyone responds differently, and I've heard some people say they had little pain, so maybe you'll be one of them. If not, it doesn't hurt to know that pain is normal - and so totally worth it!! I would absolutely do that again.

Thanks for all the info and advice. I'm really looking forward to getting beyond the surgery. From what I've been reading, recovery can be slow and problematic, but the end results are worth the trouble and expense.

Good luck on your surgery. I think going to the hospital is the best choice also. For me, I like the idea that if there is a problem, staff is right there to deal with it. Much safer option, in my opinion.

I recently had a Tummy Tuck and was given the same two options- to stay in the hospital or the surgical center. My last several experiences in the hospital were horrible, so I opted to stay at the Plastic Surgeon's surgical suite. I got terrific nursing care!! Nurses were attentive and were like private duty nurses. I felt pampered and in excellent hands. The doctor checked on me multiple times because he was in the office practicing. I paid a little more to have the surgery in the Plastic Surgeon's surgical suite, and so glad I did. I would definitely do it again. BTW, you may want to request experal, a pain medicine that is injected right into the abdominal muscles during surgery. It helped me tremendously with managing pain. As a matter of fact, I stopped all pain meds on day #3. Good luck to you.

I would also say Hospital. After having surgeries - ANYTHING - can happen. And you need to be ready for any eventuality.

A Hospital has all of the equipment you might need in any eventuality. They are ready for anything be it emergent care or just some non emergent care. It is why they exist.... So I would definitely feel safer at a hospital than a hotel.

Good luck