Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Matt and I just got a gastrc sleeve done

My name is Matthew Rauterkus and I am currently on day 2 of post op. My surgion was Dr Adam Smith from Fort Worth Lap Band. Originally I was interested in the lap band, but since I live 4 hours away from Ft Worth, we both decided that the best thing would be for to get sleeve.

I felt good apin wise after the surgery. The only thing I am having trouble with is the gas that I am still expelling slowly. That is the only pain I have and it makes it difficult to drink anything.

I weighed 382 at my pre-op appointment and went on full liquid diet for two weeks before my surgery. I lost a little under 30 pounds byt doing this. The clear liquid diet is hard, but mainly because it hurts to drink sometimes with gas coming up all the time.

Hi Matthew! The best thing for that gas is to walk and get your body moving to work that gas out. GasX strips work for many people too. Hope you have a speedy easy recovery!

Welcome to the forum @matt56. I'm happy that your surgery went well and I hope that your recovery continues to be smooth and easy. In these early days, the best things you can do for yourself are walking and sipping. Take a couple of good walks every day. It helps with the gas and raises your mood level. Also keep a water bottle with you and sip as constantly as you can. The most common problem after the sleeve is dehydration. Your new stomach is swollen and angry right after surgery and it's really hard to get enough fluids in the early weeks.

Congrats to you for getting the sleeve! It's a great choice. I was sleeved 3 months ago and so far so good!! I hope you have a speedy recovery.

@@matt56 welcome!! I'm really glad to hear you are doing well. I was sleeved on Wed, March 25th and I have been doing pretty good. I walk every day and I drink Water all day. Getting Protein in has been a little difficult but I think I figured out a better way.

Keep up the good work.

Hey Matt!

Welcome. As many other have said, walk that gas out and make sure to sip slowly. Congrats on the beginning of your journey.

Hi Matt,

I had my sleeve done on the 25th, it is great to hear you are doing well, it sounds like you are experiencing similar gas pains that most of us have. Gas-X and walking has helped me, I still have some, but nothing like I had.

Stay positive, hydrated and let all enjoy our new journey.

H Matt,

My sleeve surgery is in two days. Your post helped me understand what is ahead. I lost 18 lbs during the two week pre op diet. Started at 268 lbs and am now 250. It helps to hear what other men have experienced. Keep us updated on your progress.

Thank you all for the support. Going on two weeks post op and I am down 50 lbs so far from my pro op date. Everything is going great so far. No pain and all the gas pain is gone. All I can say is keep walking daily and a heating pad helped tremendously. I had some real food yesterday for the first time. Does not take much to fill me up anymore. That is going to take time to get use to but it is for the better.