Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I was sleeved almost 6 months ago. Im only down about 51 lbs. My weight loss has never ever been fast or easy which was disappointing but im used to it. I eat high Protein low fat. I also eat all organic. I get about 850 calories a day. But im questioning this because everything I have ever read says you should never go under 1000 calories or your body thinks it's starving. So im curious why we are encouraged to stay at such a low caloric intake. I cant even log on my fitness pal because it says im not getting a healthy amount of calories. Im also part of a health n wellness group n based on my weight they say I should be eating 1400 calories for a weightloss of 2 lbs a week. Im only doing almost half that n losing 1 lb a week if im lucky. Im just confused n wondering if im doing more harm than good.

MFP is not set up for a bariatric diet. Bariatric diets are designed to put up into a sort of borderline ketosis with a high protein/low calorie diet. We can live off of that because are stomachs are much smaller than a normal persons. However it is also why we need to supplement with Vitamins and have out levels monitored with regular bloodwork.

I am 6 months out as well and I average between 700 - 900 calories a day and 75gms of Protein. Your weight loss may just be how your body works. Some people are slow losers, some are fast. You need to communicate with your nutritionist and your bariatric team. They are the ones who should be monitoring your nutrition. 1400 calories is closer to what the average sleever would eat on maintenance.

If you are getting in all your protein/fluids and exercise, you may just be a slow loser, but you really should speak with your nutritionist if you are concerned. As for MFP's alert, I just ignore it because I know it's not set up for my special circumstances.

BLERDgirl said: As for MFP's alert, I just ignore it because I know it's not set up for my special circumstances.

When I get the alert from MFP I ignore it also. On my home page, I just log in the date, my calorie count and my Protein intake. So I have a list right on the front with my numbers.

I'm no expert, but I'm not going to force calories. If I get in my Water and Protein, I'm good with that.

Agree totally ignore it. If u want to complete ur day search and add fake calories to get to 1000 then it will close day and not add other things

BLERDgirl said: As for MFP's alert, I just ignore it because I know it's not set up for my special circumstances.

When I get the alert from MFP I ignore it also. On my home page, I just log in the date, my calorie count and my Protein intake. So I have a list right on the front with my numbers.

I'm no expert, but I'm not going to force calories. If I get in my Water and Protein, I'm good with that.

Agree totally ignore it. If u want to complete ur day search and add fake calories to get to 1000 then it will close day and not add other things

I watch my macronutrients as well so I don't fake add anything. I just close out my day and ignore the warning.

Macro and micro are all zeros in mine

@@Laurac727 - how?

Everybody is different I stay at 800 or less and I've never stalled and lose weekly.

When I first started logging and counting calories post op I was averaging about 900 calories a day. I had lost 28 lbs. pre-op and lost about 10 or 15 post op when I hit a big stall. I tried to be patient but ultimately called my nutritionist. She recommended I add 200-300 calories in Protein or healthy fats. (This doesn't count the occasional "cheats" like a bite of my husband's dessert or a glass of wine.) Two weeks later I started losing again consistently about 6 lbs. a month. It is important not to go so low that your body tries to hold onto the fat. Slow and steady wins the race says the tortoise. lol

I know how you feel about getting the calories right, I'm struggling with the same thing. I'm currently in a biggest loser contest at my gym and I'm up against women half my size and the contest is based on body percentage lost and I'm determined to win, so i have my Protein and Water where it needs to be, i just need to play with my calorie intake to find that magic number for my body and activity level.

I use MFP to track my calories to make sure I'm getting at least 1000 a day. I don't get any alerts ( maybe it's turned off on my phone)

I use MFP to track my calories to make sure I'm getting at least 1000 a day. I don't get any alerts ( maybe it's turned off on my phone)

if I get 1000 its fine but if its under 1000 it doesn't let me close out my day

right now im trying to stay under 850 calories

It only gives an alert if you are under 1000.You can close out your day but it gives this warning. It seems to bother some people, but I just ignore it.

"Based on your total calories consumed today, you are likely not eating enough

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:

• Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
  • Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
  • Add nutritious Snacks between meals as needed"

Edited by BLERDgirl

On MFP, if you are under 1000 calories it will not post anything on your home page. I "share" this every day, for example:

March 30, 2015. Calories: 780 - Protein: 72

hit "share" and it's right there!

Everybody is different I stay at 800 or less and I've never stalled and lose weekly.

@@Elode is exactly right because only above 1000 do I lose weekly. I have even gained if I get below 1000.