Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trouble Getting Water in a Curse or a Temporary

Hi, folks:

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I am slated for April 7th. I just watched a YouTube Video with someone that has undergone sleeve surgery giving tips to folks thinking about surgery. She mentioned only urinating twice a day, because she had trouble getting her Water in. Is this an issue within the first 6 months or do it get better?

I don't want to be on the constant verge of dehydration. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Dawn

I'm not having any issues getting Water down at all. i think it all depends on the person. Some can handle it and others cant. I wish you good luck.

It varies person to person. I never had any issues getting in fluids, but it took some time to work up to drinking 64 ounces or more of Fluid a day.

I have trouble drinking plain cold Water and am 8 months out. I don't find myself dehydrated because I drink other fluids and I pee probably more than I did pre op because I drink more.

I had trouble in the first few weeks, because I had issues with swallowing due to the swelling. Once that was better, I didn't have trouble getting Water in, though I did discover it was MUCH easier for me to drink really ice-cold water. I've heard others have an easier time with hot beverages. I do fine with hot beverages myself... it's just like room-temperature water that my sleeve still doesn't like very much.

It was very hard for me the first 4 weeks. Water tasted really weird, almost metallic. Most liquids tasted weird as did all food. I had to force myself to sip a little all the time. I got dehydrated the first week and ended up in the ER for IV fluids. I also had diarrhea and slept a lot the 1st 10 days so I didn't drink enough. I would not suggest this, it was not good.

It's better now at 10 weeks. I can just about gulp a glass of Water after 3pm. Before 3pm it seems my tiny tummy is still waking up so I just drink slowly and do Protein drinks. By 6-7PM liquids are easy.

I CANNOT drink after eating at any time, it is very uncomfortable and might come right back up along with part of my meal.

I CANNOT drink after eating at any time, it is very uncomfortable and might come right back up along with part of my meal.

You're supposed to leave a window of at least 30 -60 minutes before and after eating. I don't think that changes for quite some time. Even at 6 mths even attempting to drink after eating is uncomfortable.

@@BLERDgirl

Yep, thanks but I know that. I think its very interesting that they tell you not to, but there is no way I can.

I have to take my pills and Vitamins with food in my stomach so I have to drink something. I had trouble swallowing pills even pre-surgery. Taking pills with food doesn't work with the sleeve. Then get stuck. So I have to drink a little Water. I try to do it mid-meal and that seems OK. Just a few sips to wash the pills down. But if I wait till after a meal, even 30 mins, it is bad. I couldn't take pills for the first 5 weeks after surgery. They'd come right back up.

My doc said we can drink before eating. I do and it's fine.

I was a champion pill taker before surgery. I had no problem taking pills with food. I pretty much have a tummy made of steel. I've had no issues eating and drinking anything.

I only had problems getting my fluids in for the first 3 days. Since then I have easily got 64 oz or more daily. Ice Water, hot tea, Protein drinks, etc... all go down easily.

Fluids can be slow going at first because your stomach is swollen, you just keep at it and yes it gets much better.