Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation - I know Im not alone!

Hi All,

I'm six months post op and like many have struggled with Constipation. I feel like I have tried everything, Milk of magnesia, laxatives, Smooth Move tea, even colonics. I actually had a series of three colonics about 4 months post op and it was insane the amount of crap that came out of me!! My issue now is this, everything that I have tried has offered only temporary relief. I can't seem to get my body on track to be properly regular and while some of the above listed items do offer temporary relief, I'm curious if anyone has had any success with a more natural remedy to make myself more regular.

My sister also had surgery a couple of years ago and suggested Miralax. Apparently she took it for awhile and then slowly lessened the amount over time and after a month or so she was all good. I have been putting that in my Protein Shake for five days now and still nothing!! For the last few weeks, I'm lucky if I go once a week and that just can't be healthy!!!

Please let me know if anyone has experienced anything like this before? I see my surgeon for a follow up next week, but Im just looking for ideas here.

Thanks in advance!!

I'm 2 years post-op and still only go about once every 4 days. I don't have any Constipation problems anymore, but I do eat quite a bit of Fiber in the form of cauliflower, re-fried Beans, and brussell sprouts. Only twice have I had to resort to Milk of Magnesia to get things moving. I took almost a double dose and drank 16+ ounces of Water in the hours that followed. Drinking all that Water seemed to do the trick.

I used to get freaked out, being so long between bathroom breaks, but I figure my system had 40 years of having to deal with 3500+ calories of food a day and the measly amounts of food I eat now don't take up much room.

I've been regular since I had my surgery a month ago but I've noticed, when I'm working I have more of a routine for getting my Water in and I stay regular. On my days off, if I'm running around with errands etc.., I'm hardly drinking much water and I don't have to go those days. I'm convinced the water does the trick

I tried it all, too.....benefiber, Metamucil, miralax, laxatives, colace, MOM, etc but I would still only poo every 3-4 days and it was rock hard. The best thing I finally found was insoluble Fiber. Raw Fiber and Triple Fiber were the two best commercial products that worked, but then I discovered good ol' flax seed meal and Now Healthy Foods Apple Fiber work just as well and is cheaper. I mix these in my Protein smoothie every day and even in my yogurt or hot Cereal or pancake mix, etc. The insoluble fiber has given me regular, daily, easily passable poo. I also like to mix Kashi Go Lean cereal (13g protein/10g insoluble fiber) in my Greek yogurt as a snack.< /p>

Edited by Kindle

I struggle with it a great deal. I use miralax and stool softeners every day but to not avail. I still have to use the tea and sometimes I have to use lactulose (a prescription) to have movement.

Ive done it all even stopped the mirilax my insides were getting to depend on it then script. I started adding raw pecans an i eat some everyday an its been what i needed all along. My first wk was awful. It took the 5th day an then first few months it was about every 3 4 days. After i hit 4 months it got more regular. Then would stop so i tried the pecans here n there an it works like a charm..hope you find something to work for ya..

Regular as rain. I poo at least once a day. I had my first BM on the 3 day I after I came home from the hospital. My doctor started me on stool softeners in the hospital. I was on them for 30 days and haven't needed any assistance since. I'm vegetarian so a lot of my Protein also comes from plant based sources that are also high in fiber like Beans so that may be helping. I do notice on the days when I can also get in green leafy veg or salads along with exercise and plenty of Water, I am even more regular. On those days I may go twice.

I am six months out and although I don't feel constipated, I only go about once a week. Sometimes even a laxative doesn't give me any relief. What is colonics?

Peas and Beans work for me. I cook dried beans in chicken broth with some onion. They are good Protein and the fiber has a fast result for me.

I'm 6 days out and got backed up 2 days before the surgery. First poop post surgery was horrible - needed an enema. Since then I have been drinking Water non stop to help. Have you guys tried squatting? Like feet flat on the floor squatting? It's really helped me with the pain.

I'm with you!!!