Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Silver Screen

You pause looking at the red velvet seat and you can remember your last visit to this same theater almost 7 years ago. You squirm as you recall the embarrassment you suffered that night when you attempted to squeeze yourself into that empty seat. You shifted and struggled to the horrified look of your best friend who followed behind you as you fled, embarrassed, out of the auditorium.

Going to the movies, it’s a simple pleasure enjoyed by everyone. Who doesn’t love the smell of the hot buttered popcorn spilling into the giant, glass bins as you pass by, or the sound of squealing children anxious so see the next adventure of Harry Potter? Hidden away in their dark and dismal homes, there are a select few, who have not had the delight of strolling up to the ticket window or relished in the excitement of scanning over the lighted billboard filled with this week’s brand new releases. It has been a long time since they have experienced the joy of watching a movie up on the big screen..

A dark theater is a place of escape, fantasy and whimsy, where for two hours one is transported to another place, day or time. Most people walk through the doorway, past the black satin curtains and head for the middle rows and the center seats…the best seats. But you are not “most” people. You are a tentative visitor, cautiously walking into the theater alone. You inch your way, slowly towards the first available seat…on the end. Your heart pounds as you near what has been a source of anxiety and intimidation for longer than you care to remember. You glance around to make sure no one is watching. They are not. Instead they sit ripping open their giant boxes of Goobers and Sno-Caps, shoving greasy hot popcorn into their mouths. They fiddle in their seats, checking their cellphones before the opening credits begin to roll. You pause looking at the red velvet seat and you can remember your last visit to this same theater almost 7 years ago. You squirm as you recall the embarrassment you suffered that night when you attempted to squeeze yourself into that empty seat. You shifted and struggled to the horrified look of your best friend who followed behind you as you fled, embarrassed, out of the auditorium.

Today, you are here for redemption…a revenge of sorts. You come alone…just in case, well just in case it happens again. You hover in front of the portentous seat, your heart pounding in your ears. You take a deep breath, close your eyes and sit. To your pleasant surprise you glide easily into the seat as you exhale madly. The tears well in your eyes as the big beautiful screen transforms into a kaleidoscope of Technicolor. You settle back into your chair and as the movie begins you smile, knowing inside that you will remember this movie for the rest of your life. The great adventure of the day was finding the courage to walk into the building….the movie…whatever it is, is just a bonus.

Fondly,

Alana Marie

For more inspiration visit my blog:

Pickastrugglecupcake.com

Beautifully written! Thanks for sharing :)

Edited by Elode

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches