Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

just checked my insurance policy!

As far as I can see there is NOTHING about doing a diet first! I thought I'd have to do the 6 months thing, but it looks like not!!! Just have a BMI of 40 (I do) and use an in network surgeon and hospital (I will).

I thought this was something that would happen 6 months from now. But it could be much sooner!!! I'm going to go to the information session this week and find out more.

Now, a big question is, if I get bypass, how weird/out of it will I be for a while? I'm an author, and just signed a book deal. I have deadlines coming up, will I still be able to write? How long should I plan on being out of it, not up to speed, etc? I want to be realistic. I have two big deadlines in April, then after that the next in in August. I'm not worried about that one as much, I'll only be working on one project then, whereas I have to turn in the first three chapters of book 3 and the synopsis for it in mid April, and then turn in the completed manuscript for book 2 at the end of April. I've never worked on two books at once before, so this is going to be kind of hard, I think. Im wondering if the best plan is to schedule surgery for May? That gives me time to finish my first two deadlines, then time to recurperate before I have another.

My husband has a lot of deadlines in April too, so he won't have as much time to take care of the kids until after that.

As I'm typing, I'm realizing that's the best plan. But I don't want to wait :)

We will have some more money then too, I think, from my advances.

I felt normal after about a month. (I got the sleeve however, so the bypass could be longer) Personally, I think it's great to keep busy with your book deadlines. It will keep the head hunger at bay.

If your surgery is scheduled in April then thats a different story. You may too moody, fatigued, and just plain worn out from surgery and the changes your body is going through. It all just depends.

I had surgery Jan 16, was discharged the 18th and MLK Day was the 19th and I was back in class on the 20th. I was pretty slow and groggy but I could still function to get all my classwork done.

After my one month post op I felt great!

everyone heals at differant paces. I have underlyning diseases it took me 5 months to get my stamina back. keep us posted..:)

I had some serious medical issues and was pretty sick and tired when I got my surgery. I healed so quickly and had my stamina back and then some within 6 weeks. Everyone is different but I would not be too worried. You should definitely be aim a good place to write.

By the way, what kind of books do u write. I am an avid reader and always looking for something new to entertain me.

Good luck with your surgery!

Mentally took about 6 weeks to full academic stamina - physically was both faster and slower; I could keep up with things after about 2 weeks.. but didn't feel completely myself for about 2 months. I still have days when I'm mentally slower than I was - and surgery was 3 and a half months ago. I can consistently do the mental work I have to at work, but sometimes struggle with attention for a term paper or stamina for a lecture.

I had some serious medical issues and was pretty sick and tired when I got my surgery. I healed so quickly and had my stamina back and then some within 6 weeks. Everyone is different but I would not be too worried. You should definitely be aim a good place to write.

By the way, what kind of books do u write. I am an avid reader and always looking for something new to entertain me.

Good luck with your surgery!

Thanks! I write contemporary romance. My contract is with Harlequin, and my first book, The Puppy Proposal will be out September 15th!

Ok, so if I did the surgery say, mid May (trying to squeeze a family trip camping right after the deadlines in May, to decompress), and took a week or two off totally, then eased back into it, I should be ok. Even if I wrote half speed for a while, that should be fine.

Also, what about taking care of my kids? I have a 15yr old, a 5 yr old, and a 2yr old. I'm home full time with them (which makes writing interesting, lol). My 15 yr old is homeschooled, so he will be home as well. He's capable of picking up the 2 yr old,, changing diapers (although potty training just started and is going well, so that probably won't be an issue), etc. And the 5 yr old is very responsible (my only girl...she's a second mother to the 2 yr old).

How long will I be unable to care for them?

I was only uncomfortable for 4days after my bypass and I went back to work a 2 weeks. I was tired that first week back to work but have been fine since. Good luck!

Everyone is different. I was in the hospital for 2 days. I was definitely out of work for the first week. I worked from home the 2nd week, though I probably could have gone back to work but was definitely a bit tired. I went to work probably the end of week 2 and was fine but tired. Went to work every day after that.

You will not be able to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for a bit but everything else, if all goes according to plan, you should be able to sit and write/type no problem.

PS: I've been trying to write a novel--that is TOUGH!!!! I got scared and haven't touched it in several years now but still think about it. Congrats on being able to do it

Ok, so after a few days I should be ok to say, make lunch for the kids, fold laundry, pick up the house a bit? Not picking up the 2 yr old will be tough, but daddy and big brother will have to step in for that. Oh, and I bet I can't drive for a while, huh?

Oh, and duh, my mom would love to come help out during the day, totally forgot she could do that. Ok, this is doable.

As for writing, yes, it's tough. I entered a contest, which helped me to finsih. Having the deadline pushed me.

Yes you should be able to make lunch for the kids and do some light things. Each day you will get better and better. But don't underestimate how tired you will feel for the first week. I was able to drive as soon as I stopped taking pain meds which was basically the day I got home from the hospital.

For writing, I tried NANOWRIMO where you write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days--quality doesn't count, quantity does. It was fun but I got caught up in silly details that stopped me in my tracks. The main detail was if a former debutant, classy lady who died around age of 80-90--would she be buried with her shoes on? So silly but I could never resolve that. And the shoes were an important part of the story.

Yes you should be able to make lunch for the kids and do some light things. Each day you will get better and better. But don't underestimate how tired you will feel for the first week. I was able to drive as soon as I stopped taking pain meds which was basically the day I got home from the hospital.

For writing, I tried NANOWRIMO where you write a 50,000 word novel in 30 days--quality doesn't count, quantity does. It was fun but I got caught up in silly details that stopped me in my tracks. The main detail was if a former debutant, classy lady who died around age of 80-90--would she be buried with her shoes on? So silly but I could never resolve that. And the shoes were an important part of the story.

LOL, that's when you make a note/comment in the document to check that info later, and keep going :)

But I still get what you mean.