Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight gain years after gastric bypass surgery?

anyone having problems with weight gain years after gastric bypass surgery? I need support! help please, we can do this together and lose that weight gain! Thanks in advance, Sharowna

I am still in the weight loss process and doing well but I had to reach out. Have you tried resetting your pouch? From what I understand there is something called the pouch test, you can google it.

It is basically like starting over/fresh. It will help you get back on track very quickly.

If I am ever in your situation it is the first thing I would try.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Sharowna,

My surgery was almost 4 years ago. I started out around 250. After surgery got down to 185 but have gained

around 15 lbs gradually. I have slipped into eating whatever I want whenever I want- in other words like I did

before surgery. How are you going to start reversing your weight gain? I need to make a plan.

Thanks, Luciessa

Hello. I haven't gained any weight but every now and again I find myself taking bites of this and that that I know are not good choices. Those this and that bites were happening more and more often. So Monday I cleaned out the house again and wrote out a meal plan and am sticking to it.

Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and 3 birthdays since New Years had me nibbling all the time. It was just around. I don't want to slip back into old habits so I had to make a plan.

It just has to be mind over matter. I had to decide if I wanted to keep nibbling until it was totally out of control or if I was going to put a stop to it right now.

Now when I start that mindless walk to the kitchen there is nothing but good choices. And....I have a huge supply of those crystal light Water enhancers so I can get more Water in and trick myself into having something sweet in my mouth.

Best of luck to you. You did it before, you can do it again! No doubt!

For those that say they can eat what they want when they want (with bypass) is it without getting sick? I ask because I'm trying to decide on which surgery and the my reason for leaning toward bypass is because I don't want to worry about regain in the future. I want to not be able to eat anything HOWEVER I do not want to feel sick or weak all the time. I would also like to eat certain foods from time to time in very small portion if I choose to.

Do you feel your weight gain is from no reaction to certain foods when you eat or have you just learned to eat through the "pain"?

Hi, Protein, protein, protein! Gets metabolism on track. Drink 1 cup of water(8oz) every 2hrs in between meals. I love greek yougurt. I eat 1/2 cup twice daily with one including a full fruit, apple, pear, dried cranberries, etc. this makes for a very large bowl full that you could even use a 1 full meal. Its filling and satisfying. For Breakfast I have whole grain bread 1 slice toasted with 1 tbl Peanut Butter spread on it and 1 full banana sliced into rounds on top. So good, and it looks like alot so its really satisfying. When I crave something sweet, I slice 1 full apple and dip it in 1 tbl peanut butter, Or. sprinkle the apple with cinnamon and honey or splenda and eat it in a bowl.................. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Also I love hot green tea (liptons) with 2 bags in cup with refill of boiling Water added for 2 more cups, really fights the bloating feeling you can get with eating yougurt or gluten.(carbs,foods with flour). Hope this helps all! Its been 1month with me and I've been post op 7+ yrs with weight gain of 40lbs. I knew I was heading to stretching my little pouch to a point of NO Return. So I'am so glad to have bucked up with a diet change to feeling healthy and to loose that 40lb gain. Good luck to me and anyone who reads this for advice from a 7yr veteran of gastric bypass surgery.xxoo Sincerely yours, Sharowna

oh I forgot to add, to me it was worth all the pain, dumping syndromes, and experience to listening to what my system needs as nutrition to obtain my goal weight with the much needed body element including taking Vitamins that I know I have to take for the rest of my life because of my decision for gastric bypass surgery because I learned that post op my body will not absorb enough nutrients without my willingness to assist and maintain a good, healthy, and happy quality of life! Any one near rochester, ny want a swim buddy to the YMCA? xxoo