Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, my surgery is next month! I was very excited until everyone close to me started discouraging me. Today my boss told me don't do it , u don't need it, ur gonna be sick all the time, just work out, change your life! I'm like hello don't you think I have tried that! But they don't understand....I'm 5'7 and weigh 260. Please help what should my response be...because now I'm getting discouraged!

My response to that type of comment was thank you for your concern and I will continue working with my medical team to do what's best for me. Almost six months later and everyone sees the positive effects for me :-)

There can be lots of naysayers out there that do not understand our struggles. Some out of concern and some simply do not want to see us succeed! Stay focused on your health and the positive people in your life. I am 2 weeks post op and have no regrets.

I'm 5'7 and I was 260 when I decided to have my surgery. Now, over 3 months later I'm 203. I've never been this weight as an adult despite decades on dieting. I couldn't have done it without surgery.

What were your reasons for getting surgery before talking to your boss? Remember those. Remember everything you learned while researching the different surgeries. You need to choose for you. I was sleeved three weeks ago and even though I sometimes eat too fast and regret it, and even though I'm tired of shakes, even though i know there are always risks, and even though I hit the three week stall a week early, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I did this for my health. Not anyone else's. You need to choose for you.

You can do this! Good luck!!

Your response could be, "I wish I had never said a darm word to you!"

I work in a doctors office as a manager so I told the medical director what I was going to do. I kept going back and forth on whether to tell my staff or not and asked her advice. She told me to tell them because the weight I'll be losing I'll look like I have cancer and they might worry. I just thought that was an odd response

Thank you that's a very good response :)

My response to that type of comment was thank you for your concern and I will continue working with my medical team to do what's best for me. Almost six months later and everyone sees the positive effects for me :-)

Thank you that's a very good response :)

thanks....there really is a lot of naysayers that don't have knowledge. It very irritating and upsetting at times. congrats on your new sleeve!!!!

There can be lots of naysayers out there that do not understand our struggles. Some out of concern and some simply do not want to see us succeed! Stay focused on your health and the positive people in your life. I am 2 weeks post op and have no regrets.

whoo hoo that is awesome...your giving me some motivation!!!

I'm 5'7 and I was 260 when I decided to have my surgery. Now, over 3 months later I'm 203. I've never been this weight as an adult despite decades on dieting. I couldn't have done it without surgery.

That's awesome advice!!! I need to print this out to motivate me every time my mind wonders!!! basic reason is for my health!!! funny thing is I never told my boss about the surgery he found out from HR.

What were your reasons for getting surgery before talking to your boss? Remember those. Remember everything you learned while researching the different surgeries. You need to choose for you. I was sleeved three weeks ago and even though I sometimes eat too fast and regret it, and even though I'm tired of shakes, even though i know there are always risks, and even though I hit the three week stall a week early, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I did this for my health. Not anyone else's. You need to choose for you.
You can do this! Good luck!!

That's a really odd response. I was thinking of saying I went on Kaisers medifast program , which is all liquids for a certain amount of weeks!!!

I work in a doctors office as a manager so I told the medical director what I was going to do. I kept going back and forth on whether to tell my staff or not and asked her advice. She told me to tell them because the weight I'll be losing I'll look like I have cancer and they might worry. I just thought that was an odd response

Hello, my surgery is next month! I was very excited until everyone close to me started discouraging me. Today my boss told me don't do it , u don't need it, ur gonna be sick all the time, just work out, change your life! I'm like hello don't you think I have tried that! But they don't understand....I'm 5'7 and weigh 260. Please help what should my response be...because now I'm getting discouraged!

You don't have to say anything to them. They don't run your life. Stop talking with them abut it. You cannot change others behaviors, you can only change your reaction. A simple, "Thank you for your concern, but I don't want to discuss this anymore" is all you need to say.

That's awesome advice!!! I need to print this out to motivate me every time my mind wonders!!! basic reason is for my health!!! funny thing is I never told my boss about the surgery he found out from HR.

WUT!??? That's a HIPPA violation. I would file a grievance with OSHA. They had no right to divulge personal information to your boss without your explicit consent.