Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm post-op 3 wks today and I was wondering how long the pain I'm having in my left side will last. I've asked my doctor but all he will tell me is that I'm a "special" case. He refers to me as a special case due to the fact that I'm a right leg, above-knee amputee. He says I'm the first amputee he's ever performed RNY on and therefore unable to give me a time frame for just how long the pain will last. A friend had the exact same surgery, just 3 days before me and the pain on her left side recently returned. Mine has been here since day one. It makes it very uncomfortable to bend and move. It feels like I have a knife stuck in my side.

Anyone have any idea?

My pain lasted at least a month with my RnY. I don't know how or why being an amputee would have any bearing on how long you're in pain in the abdomen. The reason is just that this is a very major surgery and some of us take longer to heal and feel better than some others. I imagine it won't be much longer for your.

That said, if the pain is too excruciating and your surgeon is not doing much to help you, maybe you can refer this problem to your regular Dr. or go into Emergency. Get a 2nd Opinion.

Best of luck.

Mine went away around 2 weeks post op. Then I bent over the wrong way and it was back. It took another two weeks for it to go away. I made a point to baby my left side so I wouldn't make it worse. It makes moving around a huge hassle.

I kept seeing posts from people about how little pain they had from surgery and didn't need pain medication. They were up and back to working by week two. That was NOT me. It took a lot of pain medication and four weeks before I didn't have any pain and felt human again.

Each person is different-try to get some rest and heal. Good luck to you!

I am continually bothered by patients that say they are not getting quality care from their surgeons. YOU DESERVE BETTER!! His (or her) answer is of NO USE or value. You need to let them know that. And if they still don't give you a better answer, GO TO SOMEONE ELSE!! This whole journey is huge and a long road! His smug answer is simply not acceptable.

I'm an RN; I see no relation between an amputation and GBP. Is the pain by a trocar site? Maybe it nicked a nerve; unavoidable, but it will get better. Do/did you have a JP drain there? Do you have lung issues??

You deserve better. I agree with the above; GP or ER if you're not satisfied. And of COURSE you're special!! We ALL are. That's why we deserve a physician who can deal with these variables. Stay strong! Good luck.

Thank you for your replies.

I have an appt with my primary this coming Monday and will be mentioning the pain to her as well because my normal everyday pain meds don't seem to give me any relief where the pain in my left side is concerned.

Re: my being a 'special' case due to my being an amputee, HE said because my left side is my more dominant side, since my right leg is the one that was amputated, my muscles in my left side were messed with when the incisions were made. Still makes no sense to me, especially since I also had laproscopic surgery for my gallbladder removal AND I've also undergone 2 separate c-sections.

Not sure exactly what a trocar site is, but if its an incision, then the pain is located between the two incisions that were made on the left side. No drains and no lung issues.

Thanks again for the replies. Praying for some relief sometime soon because the pain really is unbearable.