Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I have the Gastric Sleeve or Gastric ByPass?

I am 68 had lapband when I was 66 , absolutely no problems, I have been almost at goal for sometime. I had diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol before the band, could not walk without pain in my back, knees and feet. I only took a few days to recover from surgery. I do not have dumping syndrome, I only take a few Vitamins a day my skin looks wonderful and I did not lose any of my hair.. so what is the upside of re-routing your intestines or losing 80% of your stomach forever?

What does your surgeon recommend?

Mine said he would only recommend bypass for me if I had bad type II diabetes.

I was 57 when I had WLS and definitely went with the VSG. I didn't want to deal with dietary supplements for the rest of my life which is what happens with Bypass. The sleeve leaves an intact digestive system so malabsorption isn't an issue. I take two OTC Multivitamins, two OTC B12 and one OTC Biotin per day. No major expense (I can get them at Walmart).

Unless you have some type of medical issue, there are pluses and minuses to each surgery. While lapband is the simplest surgery there is a significant number of persons who have the band slip or have major issues with it which requires another surgery to remove the band. The bypass reroutes digestion, however, is effective for resolving diabetes. The VSG leaves digestion intact and reduces the size of the stomach. VSG has fewer complications overall compared to the bypass. For me, the sleeve was an obvious choice as I ate very healthy foods, however, Portion Control was my biggest issue. I also am not open to the idea of another surgery. Once is enough!

In short, depending on your current health, any of the 3 surgeries could be appropriate. I would suggest you go to some different weight loss seminars and determine what you are comfortable with. Good luck.

I am 69 years young and I decided to get the sleeve. I didn't want to get something done to me that would allow me to cheat with food. I didn't want to do this twice. I am very happy with the sleeve. It was the one for me. My daughter and I both went to the Seminar and we were both convinced the sleeve was the way to go. I had no real pain as it is done lapo.....I was up walking the next day and didn't need any pain medications. The 2nd day I was somewhat nausea. They put medicine in my I V and I was fine. I didn't need any medicine for it the next day. I went in on Friday and I went home on Sunday and I was ready to go home Sunday. I hear with the sleeve you can eat most foods. I also had a hiatal hernia that Dr. Keith Kim dissected and took out. I haven't been this happy since I was 18 years old. I thank God for making this possible for me. They took my insurance and my daughter paid $600.00 fee to Dr. Kim. My sister paid $360.00 for me to see Dr. Kerry Ferguson, Ph D and receive clearance from her to be able to get the surgery.

I am 69 years young and I decided to get the sleeve. I didn't want to get something done to me that would allow me to cheat with food. I didn't want to do this twice. I am very happy with the sleeve. It was the one for me. My daughter and I both went to the Seminar and we were both convinced the sleeve was the way to go. I had no real pain as it is done lapo.....I was up walking the next day and didn't need any pain medications. The 2nd day I was somewhat nausea. They put medicine in my I V and I was fine. I didn't need any medicine for it the next day. I went in on Friday and I went home on Sunday and I was ready to go home Sunday. I hear with the sleeve you can eat most foods. I also had a hiatal hernia that Dr. Keith Kim dissected and took out. I haven't been this happy since I was 18 years old. I thank God for making this possible for me. They took my insurance and my daughter paid $600.00 fee to Dr. Kim. My sister paid $360.00 for me to see Dr. Kerry Ferguson, Ph D and receive clearance from her to be able to get the surgery.

Did you have your surgery at Celebration, in Florida? I'm looking at them right now. They seem to have the most comprehensive "whole patient" approach that I can find as far as follow up care, etc. Although I know very little about the program at ORMC, which also seems to be a center of excellence now. If you chose between them I'd love to hear what made you choose Celebration, and what your experience was like there, overall. (I'm looking at bypass)

@@Katie Loesch-Meyer

The Center that I went to has an actual fitness center in house which is part of a 3 month program. I am not in Florida but I would highly recommend a center that has a fitness center staffed with exercise physiologists. This has be invaluable to me; working with folks who understand the bariatric patient. I was very concerned with hurting myself and I have knee arthritis. I have not hurt myself yet and have made strides that I don't think I would have made without it.

Good Luck.