Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aetna and panicking

I have aetna and I am totally panicking!! Everything is all done and getting submitted on the 21st. But I have no co-morbidities and a bmi of 37. I have pcos, pre-diabetes, high cholesterol. HELP!! Anyone in the same boat? Any suggestions?

I was in the same boat...had Aetna, with pretty much the same symptoms as you. I got approved, but unfortunately Aetna seems to drag their feet as far as the decision process. What made me feel better was I usually called them every 2 -3 days to get a status in their decision. At least then they know that you are waiting, and you know that someone is looking at your paperwork!!!

Wish you the best success, and a quick decision!!!

I have Aetna,and they wouldn't approve with a BMI under 40 unless I had documented co morbidity. I had high BP, but it was controlled on meds - had to be uncontrolled on three meds for Aetna. High cholesterol didn't count unless I had documented heart disease. I had high A1C and elevated glucose but it didn't count unless I had a diabetes diagnosis and was being treated with medications. I finally was diagnosed with sleep apnea and it was approved with a BMI of 36.1

BryBro63

Posted 18 minutes ago

I was in the same boat...had Aetna, with pretty much the same symptoms as you. I got approved, but unfortunately Aetna seems to drag their feet as far as the decision process. What made me feel better was I usually called them every 2 -3 days to get a status in their decision. At least then they know that you are waiting, and you know that someone is looking at your paperwork!!!

Wish you the best success, and a quick decision!!!

You were able to get it approved? I will call every hour if it works!! I have an extreme family history of diabetes, my uncle died of it at 34. I am 29 and heading down the same path. I am so scared that I have to be that ill to get it approved. I have Migraines, joint pain, blood sugar that constantly fluctuates. I'm miserable, and want to watch my kids grow up!!

I have Aetna also and had BMI over 35 with no co-morbidities did everything NUT visits, PSY visit, six months PCP supervised weight loss). I was denied. Now my BMI is over 40 (since November 2014) still no no co-morbidities. Denied. I have to have documented BMI over 35 with co-morbidities or over 40 with no co-morbidities for 2 years before I will be approved!! I was just diagnosed with sleep apnea in January (so I now have a co-morbidity). If my BMI stays over 40 I can reapply October 2016 if it drops below 40 I can reapply January 2017. This whole process has frustrated me so much I am 5'3" and currently weigh 231. I know I can't do this without the help of the VGS. I have done WW for the last 3 years and the lowest I got was 206. I just loose and gain the same 25 pounds over and over. My goal is to try to keep from gaining until I can apply again next year :(

Approved!!! Surgery date April 7th!!!!

That is SO GREAT!!!! May I ask if you have H. M. O. Or something different? I have aetna as well and am meeting with the surgeon on Saturday and am on pins and needles to see if I will bring approved or not. I'm just like u, no comorbidities but high cholesterol, and pre diabetic and have asthma, 5'5 with a bmi of 37... Just really nervous!

I was so nervous too. I have a PPO, it took about a week, but it worked!

Oh wonderful!! I am nervous because I have an H. M. O. So I had to go through my primary care doctor for most everything before I could see the surgeon. I was approved at my psych evaluation and by my primary care, my sleep study turned out to show I didn't need the c-pap machine but I do stop sleeping some during my rem sleep and so I need to lose lbs. to get rid of that. I also have high cholesterol and am pre diabetic, but am not on meds for it, and have asthma, so I'm really hoping it will be enough to approve me! Today's my very first visit with the surgeon so I am praying all will go well and I will be approved and able to have my surgery soon, trying to get all this done before my busy season hits at work. So happy for you though! I'm sure this is the beginning of a whole new life for you! ????

Edited by Loss78