Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months post-op today! Living on the other side for half a year...

Wow, so today is 6 months since my sleeve surgery, unbelievable! It went really fast, I am down 65 pounds and 4 sizes smaller. My question is: what happens now??? What happens next??? How do I continue to "just be" day in and day out? Year in and year out?

I am still really struggling with how to use my time now that I am not turning to food all day. I guess I use to just graze the days away and do nothing else. (I didn't realize this) Now I really don't know what to do with myself in the hours between my meals and Snacks. It's emotionally uncomfortable a lot of the time. Sometimes I just sit.

I also didn't anticipated this, but I feel that I'm at a disadvantage emotionally and physically having the surgery at my age. I am in my early 50’s so my body isn’t doing what I know it would have done in my 20’s or 30’s, etc. I haven't been able to achieve that excited athletic feeling I used to love. (Will I be able to??)

My life is also settled at this point: My career is established and I’m in a 9 year relationship. I don’t have all those "future" goals to aim towards. All those youthful hopes, dreams and wishes. Life gets tough for me when there isn’t a feeling of striving for the future, aiming to achieve something, working towards a goal. My life is very routine when I am wanting to be free and adventurous. It feels like such a waste to finally have the body and the look but no freedom to enjoy it. I just have to keep dragging my new beautiful self into the same boring office everyday. I'm struggling with this concept. Weight loss surgery should come with a one year sabbatical!!

Even so, I am on this amazing Journey that still feels so completely surreal. I cannot believe I did this and that this is my life and that I have actually been able to lose weight that I've had on me since I was 17.

Life is grand!

@@Blazzrr

Rock you're 50's life is far to short. What have you been aching to do but you have put off due to career, family and weight? What do you want to do before you're 60th birthday? It's not so much looking at future goal's (goals are still a great thing) It's the hear and now savoring life before it's gone. This age has been the best time in my life. I'm far more relaxed. I have wasted many years. I don't want to have regrets.

I'm 57 and as much as I'd like to say retired, I really am unemployed. I didn't want to stop working, my job was abolished and I haven't been able to find a job since July of 2013. So I finally figured out a routine - daily chores, lots of longs walks, TV time etc when WHAM! my husband retires at 59. So now my routine is gone, he spends all his waking time with me talking about his job of 37 years, and I'm going crazy. I feel younger, healthier, so much better about myself since surgery and a 41 lb weight loss........but yesterday I wanted to just run away from home, no forwarding address and hide. food isn't comfort any longer, so I don't know how to find peace right now.

So I guess I understand what you're going through. I'd love to tell you how lucky you are to have an office to go to each day, but I don't want to minimize your agony. But I do want to share that there are other 50 somethings out here looking for more than the day-to-day, same-old, same-old routine. Since you're in a positive relationship, maybe plan a weekend get-away. Not a blow the budget type thing, but a lets get out of town and see something different type of weekend. Sometimes a change of scenery can help.

Good luck on your journey. Congratulations on your weight loss. Good luck finding your new "normal".

I'll be 61 in May and was sleeved November 26, 14. I have many of the same feelings you have. Our mortality starts to hit us and can be a bit depressing but those feelings will come and go from time to time but try to focus on the positive things you have in your life, like your job and your relationships. Look forward to retirement and being healthy to enjoy it. I'm still working but am seriously considering retirement soon. I live in Virginia and I think the cold weather affects my mood as well, so I may move south to get to a warmer climate all year. You still have things to look forward to so hang in there and enjoy your healthy body!!

I'm 54 so I'm right there with you all. My children are grown (yay). I work from home (yay again) I find life tremendously exciting. I love watching the pounds melt away. (slowly, but I am determined) I love that I can touch my toes - hell, see my toes. I bought a second hand bike. I downloaded the couch to 5K app (running sucks) so i can surprise my daughter by running with her. I love finding hiking trails in the local area. I can FINALLY do the things I have always wanted to do but couldn't! I am about the most non-athlectic person in the world but I am determined to make use of my transforming body. I think the fresh air and exercise helps...If I didn't have to work I would volunteer -animal shelter, hospital, nursing home, etc...You have done great with your weight loss keep up the good work. Find something that excites you...write a book...ride a horse...your just beginning the second half of your life...the BEST half as a healthier new YOU!