Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here.. Sleeved 1/22/15

Hi Everyone :) My name is Sarah. I had my surgery on Thursday 1/22.. I'm 24 years old.. My preop weight was 240 and my surgery weight was 224 (2 week Optifast liquid diet) & my current weight is 218! I've been reading everyone's experiences and I feel like I've had a pretty decent recovery so far, I haven't had to use pain meds at all, just a sleep aid (zquil). I have 5 incisions and only one really bothers me where there is a dent that I'm told will go away with time. It's pretty sore and hurts when I move and bend down but I guess it's better than having all of them hurt. I have the normal gas pain in my shoulders and back but every day it gets better, it kinda hurts when I breathe which is annoying. I haven't got much sleep but I'm grateful for the minimal pain. My big problem is it really hurts when I drink anything so I'm having a lot of trouble meeting my Water and Protein goals. Every sip I take feels like bricks. When does it get easier? When does that stop? All I want to do is drink a glass of water, I am SO thirsty & noticing that I'm pretty weak. Also, does anyone have any other suggestions in meeting protein goals besides the dreadful shakes? Is there any high protein Soups out there? I'm feeling so frustrated today, I just want to feel normal again. I know it's still early & I need to be patient but I can't help but read people saying they can swallow normally after a few days & I'm still having so much trouble :(

Thanks for any advice you can give me :)

S

I found that drinking power aid zero was much easier to drink then Water. I think it was around 3 1/2 to 4 months post op before I could finally drink Water the way I use to.

It will get better, try popsicles too.

hurts when I drink

@@saruuhjean

welcome, welcome , welcome :)

great to have a new family member to our "little" group

sorry about your gas pains in the shoulder :mellow:

having trouble drinking Water :huh:

i have heard people having trouble drinking some water

but not the description you are referring to :wacko: (bricks etc. :wacko: )

try drinking room temperature Water ^_^

that might do the trick

popsicles are great

i luv the taste

at least its "kindof" a liquid

will help "wet your whistle", dry mouth

BUT..........keep plugging away with the water :rolleyes:

important to get in as much water as possible

don't worry about the Protein yet

if you don't drink enough you might get dehydrated :angry:

i guess some people can take 3-4 months :o before they can drink properly/successfully :wacko:

i "think" that might be the exception not the rule

that wasn't the case with me - i never had problems drinking water (thats just me)

you had surgery this past monday

things "should" start improving daily

we all react differently po - recovery

that one incision "should improve shortly", give it time

"the one thing we have in common is that we're all different" ;)

"God Grant Me Patience, Just Hurry Up About It" :rolleyes:

you hurt when you breathe???

STOP breathing!!! :lol:

no better not, then you'll have more problems ;)

congrats on your pre-op weight loss - and weight loss now :)

good luck

welcome to sleeveland

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Thank you so much for the advice. I am going to try Popsicles. I am just worried about staying hydrated when Water isn't sitting well with me :( maybe I'll try the power aid or Vitamin water. I appreciate the help. Thanks y'all :)

I'm not sure what shakes you've tried, but my nutritionist gave me a list of the ones that are considered favorites of their patients so far and we tried Syntrax Nectar and Optimum Nutrition Platinum. We love both. My kids and husband are doing the pre diet with me and they love it too. We mix it with Almond Breeze Original flavored Reduced Sugar Almond Milk. I don't know if those recommendations will help you, but I figured I would offer them up.

Congratulations on getting sleeved....!!!!

Ugh how much I want to be on the other side, "the sleever" Lollllll

But the good thing is your done with the toughest part.... Now the good part and the fruitful journey begins.... I m sure with time your pain and complains are going to subside....

Wishing you a speedy recovery????

And keep us posted on your journey????