Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post - 4 1/2 year post op LapBand journey Ups and Downs

I remember many years ago going through these forums reading about the success of everyone post op. I'm sure if anyone will understand my post its people here. I liked reading stories that i could relate to, it gave me hope. Here is my story pre-op to present and what ive encountered as good and bad effects of the process:

I grew up a big kid, the biggest in my class of course, bigger than grown men by the time i was in 7th grade. i was 6 foot tall and I tipped the scales at over 300 at the age of 12, and graduated high school around 318. After high school i ballooned up to 330, yoyo dieted for a few years, losing some weight then gaining it back plus some extra every single time, finally hitting my all time max of 388 by the time i was 27. I don't think i need to go into description of what that feels like but its a horrible life living that way. I was blessed enough to get a job that had insurance that covered the procedure and in late May of 2010 at the age 29 of i started my path to weight loss.

The weight loss came slow as i would drop pounds here and there, never gaining but hitting many many plateaus along the way. By 2011 I was steady at 330, which while a huge improvement, was not exactly where i wanted to be. I read on here about how people dropped massive amounts of weight over 6 months and i wished i could do the same but i guess i just wasn't built that way. Working out was still hard because of my size and eating right was like pulling teeth but like all of you i pressed on. By the time 2012 hit i was back at my high school size of 315 and while i noticed the difference people started to judge me. See to your friends and some family they think this is a miracle procedure that will take you from morbidly obese to Brad Pitt over the span of a year max....wrong.....its a daily struggle and only your true loved ones and real friends will be there for you throughout this, some of us learn this the hard way. See once you start doubting yourself and think everyone is silently judging you it gets twice as hard and because I elected to let everyone know i was getting the lapband i couldn't make excuses - i had nothing to hide. To me it actually gave me motivation to keep with it to feel better that i would accomplish this and to make the doubters in my life see anything was possible.

2012 was probably the hardest year in my life, i had many outside complications in my personal life that changed me and my family. It was the most devastating 12 months I hope I ever have to go through. That being said it drastically slowed down my weight loss progress, I never gained a pound but stayed steady at 315 all the way until November/December where i finally hit a milestone of 298. I was under 300 for the first time since my preteen years.

In February of 2013 I went in for a adjustment, this was probably my 5th or 6th once since surgery and i had around 6.5cc in my band (large "vega" band). When I went to lapband meetings and read older posts people always talked about the "green zone" which is like your magic spot where it all starts to fall in place, well, I had FINALLY reached mine. Finally under 300 i started doing kettle bell workouts and choosing more active assignments at work. I started eating healthy, salads, high Protein meals, no cokes, no more sweets. I still indulged but in moderation. I lost 45 pounds by anniversary date in May and now sat at 249. I felt great, my clothes didn't fit, and finally...FINALLY...people asked if i had lost weight. I thought that was the strangest part so far. I had lost 88 pounds t get to 300..and it was like no one noticed, hell I barely noticed, most of my clothes still fit at that point and i was so discouraged....i mean really 88 pounds and i barely notice a difference, then i lose 50 and its like I'm a new person. You see yourself everyday so you'll never notice the changes, small or big. Take pictures, it will help to show your progress, that's a big regret i have. I was so disappointed with the amount of time it was taking I lost interest in a diary/journal, i wish i would have kept with it. I kept losing weight throughout 2013 until i hit my goal weight of 235 and continued a past it down to 225 by September 2013. Here i have stayed bouncing from 220 (my low was 213, didnt feel right at all) to 230. I did it and i've kept it strong for 16 months straight. It can be done, and you can live happily. I know this was long winded for a first post but i'm working graveyards and i wanted to give a snippet of what its been like for me. I willing to answer any questions you have, there is of course more to parts of this story than i feel like writing so feel free to contact me if you'd like. I tried to attach a picture of different times in my life from pre op and post op but i'm new to this site so i hope i did it right.

The Good:

buying clothes you never could get before

playing with my daughter without having to sit every 5 minutes

no more knee pain

not sweating ALL THE TIME

Better sleep

Feeling more active and not wanting to be locked in my house 24/7 from embarrassment

The Bad:

My wife's reaction once I hit my goal weight. She wasn't used to me looking like i did, and she was concerned with me leaving. Her thought was if i finally feel good and have lost weight i was going to sew some wild oats from my youth. This still causes problems today.

This one will sound arrogant, and i don't mean it to be, just simple truth that I'm sure a lot of us have noticed after successful surgery. People look at you different, you will garner some unwanted attention at times. This causes jealousy in your home life with you significant other. It happens a surprising amount, and while its a ego boost it can really hurt a relationship, even if its out of your hands.

Learning your body, and when to say enough is enough can and will cause you to became sick at the most inopportune time (out to eat with family or friends). I have had at least 5 incidents where i had to quickly excuse myself to go to the restroom because i still struggle with eating slow and proportions. I'll probably always have to deal with it and it can be very aggravating. Take the good with the bad though.

Not having anyone to go through the struggle with. If you can find a weight loss buddy do it. I was basically alone my entire time, its not easy.

post-87747-0-86120400-1421991706_thumb.jpg

I was very touched by your post. You've had incredible success, and it just goes to show that we are all on unique timetables. Your pictures are inspiring! Thank you for sharing this. It gives me hope for long term success.

That is so awesome!! Congratulations on your huge success :D I love reading about people's journey, the good, the bad and the ugly, so I can prepare and know that someone has gone down the same path before me. Thank you for sharing and I wish you all the best!

I feel like I could quote JustWatchMe exactly, lol.

I appreciate your post - your honesty and your story. So many of us look to other people to figure this journey out (when we are getting started) and have yet to learn that our story is our own and that it can look so much differently than someone else's. But I think we do it because we believe inspiration will beget inspiration. And your story is inspiring.

This might sound awkward but there are a lot of vets who come off as super heroes: I did it, I conquered, you can do it, etc., but sometimes that isn't helpful. Hearing about real struggle and hearing that it might continue to be hard is helpful. For me anyway. Thank you for sharing.

James you look great, I am also 4 years 3 months post op. My spouse and I have had our ups and downs along the journey but we had a strong bond do we have made it. He was proud of my weight loss and feels like he now has a trophy wife. ( his words not mine) I am comfortable in my new body now, it took me a while but you are right it does help to have a partner to lose with. I had two friends who also had surgery, one the sleeve and one bypass. They both were Julius because I lost well, but what they failed to relieve is I worked at it day and night. Happy for you, and a great transformation.

You're awesome! It must take a lot of strength to keep working at it and not give up when things got tough! Also i can see why your wife might feel the way she feels you're a very handsome man (not flirting) I'm glad to hear your story cause I'm only 7 weeks post op of my bypass surgery amd it's reassuring to know that even if it takes time with time and work i will too reach my goal.