Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Dr to choose in Mexico

Dr. Illan...Baja Bariatrics..awesome experience! 3 months p/o no complications, down over 50 pds :) Msg me if you want more details.

My sister had the VSG done with Dr. Ortiz and had a great experience. She is now 2+ weeks post op and isn't having any issues! She's following the diet to a T, and just started eating mashed potatoes this week, she was so happy! She was off pain meds by the time she left for home. She did fly first class home so she was a bit more comfy. Good luck!

I chose dr Corvala at hospital Angeles in TJ. I like that fact the surgery is in a full scale real hospital with 100 plus beds and an ER and not a clinic they call a "bariatric hospital." that gives me more piece of mind if something goes wrong and I like being able to recover in a real hospital where the nurses will help me with the recovery process versus being all alone say in the TJ marriot after having a surgery. Dr. Corvala is also the most experienced surgeon in TJ who as taught many of the other surgeons. I'm paying 6500 for the package which appears to be more than the other surgeons in TJ but I believe you get what you pay for and don't want to go cheap on such a serious surgery that could mess one up for life it is botched. Dr corvala and hospital angeles offer the best quality to price ratio in north america in my opinion but i will be able to give a more accurate assessment after I have the surgery. note they just raised their price to 7500.

David, I really want a legitimate full scale hospital at par with u.s facilities. Angeles is giving me five nights in a real hospital...not a recovery facility. Ortiz at OCC is my second choice and Nicholson in dallas is my third choice. I'm sure your affiliated surgeons are good as well.

Dr. Kelly and Jose Rodriguez are also on par with Ariel Ortiz and Juan Corvala IMHO. Of course you pay more for their experience, credentials and hospitals.

One issue I have had with surgery in Mexico is:

What is the back up plan for someone who has a serious complication at the surgical center or even a small basic hospital like an MI or florence? Who does the treatment, where, how long does it take to get transported to another facility, who pays for the care?

Pulmonary embolism is the #1 cause of death for gastric sleeve patients, many of whom are at higher risk due to co-morbidities. PE do occur intra-operatively.

In the US, you would be taken immediately to an affiliated major hospital equipped for such major events. In TJ, some of the surgeons would transport you to Hospital Angeles. Almater Hosp is also equipped formsuchncare. I am not sure what the other surgeons have as a contingency plan. I think it would be helpful to know this info in advance.

Not trying to be negative, just being a realist. The Hospital also matters!

Picture links I took at Angeles, of Dr Corvala and staff etc...

Rocky1 helped me greatly to make my decision. What he has said above was the main reason for me with Dr Corvala at Angeles. Are they capable of handling the "what-ifs" that do occur, and being so far from home, they must be able to and do it well.

I just returned home today and have to say I am even more pleased than expected. But its not just the surgeon, although IMHO he is one of the best, and sweetest too, but equally important is the pre-op and post-op care and those who administer it, which can greatly reduce the potential post-surgery complications. The nursing staff and managing doctors and co-surgeons that check up, evaluate, and pass down orders to the nursing staff who carry out the processes superbly to improve recovery time and outcome. I loved the nurses! David, Roberto, Esmerlada and so many others. But they really take you in and make sure you are well, comfortable and have everything you need to recuperate perfectly. I have never felt that well cared for in any US hospital and I have been in many coast to coast.

Here are a bunch of pictures of my experience with Dr Corvala and Angeles Hospital in TJ. Truly a world class, state of the art facility with top surgeons, staff and protocol .... the icing is the spa like atmosphere ;-)

Pictures:

http://www.bariatric...19th/?p=3761436

and more pictures:

http://www.bariatric...19th/?p=3762637

I am going to Dr Zavalza through bariatric pal and I chose him because he does the surgery in an actual hospital and not a surgery center and also he is great with his patients before and after they have a great team there and I no I will be in great hands with a great team :)

Because your a surgeon and you are in the health system stop being so smug you don't know everything and it sounds like a lot of people are onto you and your antics bashing all these surgeons but the one you work for. David and Dr Zavalza have been nothing but amazing and they don't need to bash other Dr's to get patients get over yourself tootaloo

I am covered by two good health insurance policies in the u.s. But neither covers bariatric surgery which is 25k in my state. It is not legally mandated to be covered. That is why I have considered the travel programs in texas and mexico.

I did not say cost was not anything. If mexico did not have hospital angeles I would be heading to texas. Cost is one of many factors.