Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Date 1/19: Random Missives

Hi All: Maybe this is more for my own benefit so that I can look back in a few months and compare what I was thinking now to what I will be thinking then. So let me begin a random missive of my thoughts, in no particular order. So much has been running through my mind this last month and I need to get it down on paper so to speak :) Again, no particular order......

1) Concerned that my son (22) is not completely on board with this decision. You know how idealistic a 22 year old can be, especially one who is super fit, exercise ever day, eats organic, etc. I'm worried that if I have any complications at all, even small ones, that he send silent messages (or verbal) that infer disapproval in some sense. I know he's worried for me, and he has wanted me to lose weight for a long while, so hopefully his fears will subside when he see's my progress.

2) Worried about hair loss - I have very thin hair already. Taking 10,000 mcg Biotin and using Nioxin.

3) Have had great success so far since October, just eating low carb. Makes me wonder if I should have the surgery sometimes....sigh. I'm pretty committed at this point, just that nagging feeling that perhaps I could do this on my own....

4) Have only told immediate family, nobody at work. Which is the way I want it for now.

5) It's just me and my son at home. Concerned about putting my son in a position of having to care for me the first few days. I don't think that's fair to him, although I know he would. No other family close by, so will try to convince my sister to stay with me for a few days, but not likely. May have to go to her place........still thinking.

6) Like my surgeon and the clinic staff very much. It's a little chaotic there as they are down one surgeon and a few staff but they are handling it well and I feel well cared for.

7) Haven't done any support groups - like socializing, but don't like taking the time to get there and back. Poor me..lol.

8) Planning on taking two weeks off work - can extend if I need to or work from home.

9) Am I scared? Hmm, not scared of surgery, have had those. More scared that I will regret it, but I've read enough to know that passes. Still - who could do this without being anxious a bit right?

10) Have not been hungry much at all since I started a low carb diet. Has been fairly easy to stick to.

11) Worried about nausea a lot! I have a tendency towards this, but doc has prescribed Emend to take the morning of surgery to ward it off. The surgeons PA says he's a ninja at mastering nausea, so we'll see.

12) Bought a Nutri Bullet - returned it, thought it was kinda lame. Got a Ninja Kitchen System, love it.

13) Darn it anyway! I'm going to get botox or a filler on the lines between my eyebrows. Makes me look old and mad all the time :) I'm also going to get my teeth whitened, and maybe get a new haircut, so there!! :)

14) Will I get surgery for loose skin? I might, but only on my stomach. Long past caring about my boobies.

15) Exercise? Have done some, mostly hikes through the woods with my son, some rather strenuous. Love it. More regimented exercise, not so much. Noticed there was quite a few exercise routines on cable for free. Think strength training is most important. Kettle balls?

16) Have been doing a fair amount of "I won't ever be able to eat a big plate of food anymore and go back for seconds", "I won't every be able to guzzle a tall cold glass of Water again". That's grieving of a sort isn't it....

17) Generally feel certain I'm doing the right thing, but it's getting a little "real" now.....one more week.

Thanks all for reading if you made it through....again, was mostly for me.

Thanks for sharing

Hi! My surgery is scheduled for the same date. I'm going through most of the same things as you.

1. I plan to have my brother check in on me every afternoon. If we're up walking around soon after like everyone says, I'm sure we can take care of ourselves at home pretty well.
  2. Not worried about Hair loss. My hair is thick, and worst case, I don't think I'd look too weird shaved bald. Glad to be a guy.
  3. I told my boss because I needed the time off. Mistake. He brought it up in performance evaluation. On the other hand, our HR benefits person has been wonderful and helped me navigate our insurance plans to get the best coverage possible.
  4. I haven't done any support groups either.
  5. I've also been doing the no sugar / low-carb / high Protein thing since October. My brain hates me. I would trade my right arm for a bowl of Pasta right now, but I'm not actually hungry. I've only recently learned the difference.
  6. I also am grieving food. We're both weird, I guess.

Good luck! I wish you lots of success.

How are both of you doing??

It's good to vent. I say to people about anything "It will all work out" @@JALUVIC I understand your anxieties. I am sure your son will help you. My 17 yr old was there to help. My 23 and 24 year old were very helpful even though they are not home. The hubby was the best.