Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had an "aha" moment finally (with pics)

So I'm 3.5 months post op, down 50 since surgery, 60 from my highest weight ever. I'm still struggling to see any major changes, except a mighty empty closet. I know, mentally, I've lost the weight, but I think I'm still struggling with emotionally allowing myself to see any difference. Perhaps bc I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and regain the weight?! I don't know, but today I had my "aha" moment. All because of a silly thermal shirt I've always wanted to wear but was too self conscious to do so. I still threw a wrap around it bc it's cold on the east coast but I kind of didn't want to lol

I debated about putting this pic up, afraid to seem narcissistic, but truthfully, the before and afters really helped make my decision when thinking about getting the surgery, so I hope I can pay it forward.

When was your "aha" moment?

post-236336-14205788010474_thumb.jpg

took me over a year, at goal, to see myself as 'skinny' You look awesome! Congrats!

Mine was when I bought a pair of jeans on clearance thinking they'd fit in a few months. Turns out they were already almost too big. -_-

And on another note, you're just too stinkin cute for words. :)

You're doing great! (Except for that Giants gear :angry:.) I've had many a-ha moments during this fantastic journey. At some point, I started identifying with the slimmer me instead of the big guy. That was HUGE! I know some people look in the mirror and see their old self in disguise. I know it's hard, but that's defeatist thinking. I'm choosing to visualize the permanent success I hope/plan to achieve.

Had another a-ha moment this past week when I went to the hospital to visit my best friend who is very sick. I made a big tumbler of Crystal Light for the road, then stopped at Wegman's and bought several bags of turkey Jerky. (Jerky is my on-the-fly food.) I ate a bag on the way there and drank the Crystal Light on the way home. As much as I enjoy both things, the a-ha moment hit me that I was now eating to live, not living to eat. We've all heard that mantra all of our lives, but it really seemed to fit. A-HA!!!

Keep making good choices, and "be" the slimmer person in the mirror!

Thanks everyone. Even a Giants' fan in this horrible season so that's something to respect at least right? ;-)

I actually had a drawer of clothes I bought pre op that were "goals" because I needed NSV for this weeks were we stall. I'm happy to report it is half empty. That clearance NSV made me laugh! Good for you!! I do the same thing. "There's no way this fits" go into the dressing room and am baffled when it does or weirdly when it doesn't because it's too big lol. It happened so quickly that I just can't wrap my my mind around it yet most days.

I need to try that turkey Jerky, I've heard that's a great option.

Edited by LaLoLaughs

Congrats! But a pic in giants gear come on now, lol

Thanks @@Buttercupbrown and @@phillyfan99 I take it an Eagles jersey would be more your speed though @@phillyfan99 NEVER! haha My incredibly loving, but obviously misguided in football, boyfriend thinks he has a shot of getting me into a Dallas jersey-tries to sell it to me as a reward for losing weight. Yeah, I'd rather gain the weight back than wear that thing lol ????

Edited by LaLoLaughs

I agree with you on that one!!! Guess the giants aren't so bad after all when Dallas is around.

This is the first time I am writing on a sleeve forum. This was the first article I really related to. I realized this morning that I am in control. Only ME! food does not control me. I control it. I am 3 months post sleeve and lost 44 lbs. I want to lose another 35. I am stalled for about 2-3 weeks but I need to remember this happens and not to get frusterated. I am in control. P.S. Giants girl looks awesome! I'm from Buffalo, you won't see me in a Bill's jersey anytime soon! lol