Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Artificial Sweeteners?

There appears to be justified concern that artificial sweeteners cause the very thing they are intended to prevent. I find it puzzling that bariatric centers are still pushing them.

Any thoughts? Did you or will you use artificial sweeteners for weight control? If so, are you concerned about their impact on your gut biota?

Edited by Trillium

My surgery was on 12/23/2013. I feel like I have given up every vice there was, except there was no way that I was giving up artificial sweeteners. Any coincidence that I have been on a plateau for nearly six months and the minute I finally give up sweeteners, the weight started falling off again????? I am convinced.

A fear years ago I switched to stevia from all the other artificial sweeteners. I'll use them if I have NO OTHER CHOICE.

I use Stevia. Some people say it has an after taste. It comes from a plant from Asia--I believe. I've grown them in the summer. They love heat and hate cold. I've never processed the leaves into stevia but they have tiny white flowers when they bloom.

I don't like artificial sweeteners because I don't know what the chemical combination will do to my body with heavy long term use of them. I've noticed some food companies are advertising their food is sweetened with stevia. I'll buy those products even if they cost more than the chemical sweeteners. I realize most people on a strict budget don't have that option.

For my gut flora, I drink a 1/2 bottle of Kombucha every day. It's a fermented beverage that has to be refrigerated. It has a very slight alcohol content and has a vinegar taste. I'm used to the taste, some people can't get beyond it. It is chock full of pro-biotics. The brand I use costs $3.49 a bottle at Whole Foods. So it's not an inexpensive proposition. I also take a pro-biotic capsule twice a day. I find if I get my Water in every day and drink the 1/2 bottle it helps me to not get constipated. Maybe it's just the Water consumption and exercise I do but that's my personal experience.

Blessings,

Kathleen

I'm allergic to stevia and most artificial sweeteners. Splenda aka sucralose doesn't seem to bother me so far, but I am leery of over using it. It is listed as an ingredient in the whey powder I sometimes use and so far I haven't had a reaction to it. I still use natural sweeteners like raw honey, coconut sugar, organic sugar and occasionally maple sugar. I've just learn to use them sparingly. I try to eat as clean as possible so once I stopped using the stevia, I just gave up on fake sugars. I do think over reliance on them could hinder weight loss. Surprisingly once I gave up processed foods, my taste buds stopped craving sweets as much as they used to.

I have to use Splenda b/c I am diabetic, and I didn't like stevia or the other types of artifical sweetners. I don't think its affected my gut.

I told my nutritionist that I was willing to use artificial sweeteners for recovery, but not beyond. (I am persuaded that my Diet Pepsi addiction helped get me to where I am, and after weaning myself off of it, I find the aftertaste repellent.) She was not interested in discussing sweeteners or my preference for a whole foods approach to weight loss, which makes me wonder how current her training is.

However, the bariatric nurse assured me I would be back on whole foods quickly, and it was truly the best thing to do for my health. So I won't be stuck in sugar free, fat free, fake food land forever.

While not everyone is sensitive to the biota-changing effects of fake sweeteners, I will discourage my kids from using them, even though their father, who shared my 20-year diet Pepsi habit, is thin and still fits into his high school jeans.

Getting them to take Probiotics is a tougher nut to crack! They'll eat fermented sauerkraut and pickles, though -- and occasionally kombucha and yogurt. They are not fans of kimchi and miso.

Other than what is in my whey Protein power I do not use any artificial sugars. I've learn to do without except for the occasional bit of honey(less than 3 x's a month). My body reacts negatively to most fake foods.

I am always surprised about how people think it is okay to give children diet soda. It seems like more and more people are getting the message about the overuse of sugar, however, giving a child diet soda instead of regular is not the answer. I work in the school system and have noticed the changing of of the Snacks in the vending machines and from regular soda to diet soda in the soda machines. I witnessed the principal giving young children diet soda as a reward more than once.

@@Miss Mac. Wow, so you believe it did have something to do with the long stall. When did you give it up and how much did you lose after? I lost 4 big fat pounds on my two week pre op diet. I was using the Bariatric Advantage vanilla shakes. I couldn't stand them the minute I had my surgery. I wish now I had used unflavored Protein Powder in skim milk. But I used what my surgeon told me to. I have a huge bag of that stuff sitting in the cupboard.

I have not had my surgery yet. I am in the pre-op phase. However, years ago I lost 60 pounds just by cutting out artificial sweeteners. They do hinder your ability to lose weight. There is a medical explanation for it but I cannot remember it.

So now I have been trying to find flavored Protein powders that do not have any artificial sweeteners. I found the Jay Robb brand and the Syntrax nectar Naturals which both use stevia. I ordered sample packs of both. So far I have tried the Jay Robb vanilla powder mixed with skim milk and some powdered Peanut Butter. It was good.

Studies have found that artificial sweeteners create a false dependency. They stimulate your appetite, Increase carbohydrate cravings and stimulate fat storage and weight gain. In short artificial sugars prepare your body for food that often is not coming and thus confuses your system while also making your body crave more and more sweeter things.

very interesting topic! I have recently discovered that Splenda (sucralose) contributes to my hunger. I stopped Splenda & started Stevia a few weeks ago, and I find I am not as hungry in the morning after my Stevia-laced coffee, as I was with the Splenda coffee. On another note, since

I've been post-menopausal, my sweet tooth has been insatiable!

I use Splenda in my coffee and hot tea, but that is it. When I bake and cook I use regular sugar. I had type II diabetes pre op, but have gone into complete remission since. But I don't think sugar was my issue as much as bread/pasta/rice/potatoes was my issue. I ate a lot of white carbs. I avoid these now.

Holy smokes! If I gave up artificial sweeteners I'd drink nothing at all. I drink 120 ounces of hot and cold drinks with sweeteners all day, every day, and I lost 100 pounds in 6 months. So unless they tell me my organs are going to rot from it, I'm still in. :blink:

By the way, your link requires a login to get to the article. Can you copy and paste the important info into a post?

I'm not far enough out from the surgery to quit the fake-sugar yet, but I asked my NUT point-blank when I was still pre-op if she ate any of that crap. She said "nope". I plan to go back to whole foods and regular sweeteners for the majority of things when I'm further out. Agave nectar is my coffee-sweetener of choice. :)