Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very First Post - Several Questions

Hi All. First off, I've been lurking for quite some time and I just wanted to say thank you SO MUCH to the caring people who take the time to respond to questions and encourage others. U guys rock.

Some info: I am 38yo married mom of two precious young men, ages 9 & 6. I weigh 195 and am 5'4". So on the lower end for WLS. If I decide to do the VSG, I will b self pay.

I have a few questions, but let me say this.... I will absolutely ask the dr (of course), but sometimes MDs give u statistics which r good, but I am also interested in actual WLS patients' personal experiences.

Here goes..1) I have reflux since the birth of my first son, I've taken Prozac for 19 years, and I've consumed a lot of Diet Coke and BC powders over the years so I'm concerned about the overall condition of my stomach. Is there anyone else who has taken SSRIs for an extended period and done well with VSG? I'm concerned about ulcers. 2) I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder with a history of panic attacks. This has led to a lot of health anxiety. (I don't like the word, hypochondriac). My husbands biggest fear is that I'll have WLS and then keep running to the ER/drs office thinking I'm having complications. Is there anyone else with GAD that has faired well?

Thanks in advance for any replies ????

Correction... I lied. I made a post over a year ago. This is post #2. Oops

Amyecpa, first off, and I really hope this helps your second issue, being on the lower end of the bmi scale prior to surgery actually reduces your chances of risks. I cam honestly say that the only issue I have had in this process was an allergic reaction to the dissolving stitches in my abdominal wall, which I expected as I have had previous surgeries. Also, I suffered from acid reflux for years as well, and used to drink a TON of soda pop when I was younger, and my stomach was fine. If it helps to ease your mind, I've seen that some individuals who go through this process do get scoped to check for issues with stomach lining and structure, so if that is a concern your surgeon will likely address it during the process of getting you ready for surgery. Lastly, I have panic attacks as well, mine are more specific but usually related to something happening where I might not be able to care for my daughter. This led to second thoughts the week leading up to the surgery, and fear in the preop area. Luckily, they can offer medication to reduce the anxiety at that point. For you, if you need support from your surgeon after surgery, just call them. You are paying a lot of money to them, they don't just send you on your way after they get it. But, if you need to get everything checked twice a week to appease your mind, go do it. If you can afford it of course. If you need basic reassurance, that's what we are all here for. Hope it helps :-)

Have you had a consult with a surgeon? VSG can be contraindicated if you already have GERD, because it can actually make it worse. GERD is one of the potential side effects of VSG and severe cases actually get converted to bypass. Many doctors will only do RNY on patients that already have GERD. Definitely look into this, and I'd imagine, with your history a scope will be mandatory to assess your stomach and esophagus before any WLS.