Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 days post-op, no restriction, and HUNGRY

Hi everyone, I am 11 days post-op and am healing well. Problem is, I am SO hungry! Went to my first post-op doctor's appt yesterday and was cleared for soft foods, which is great because I was literally drinking 8-10 of those Atkins Advantage Protein Shakes a day - plus I'd have at least a gallon of Water, pureed Soup, etc. I'm not having my first adjustment until 12/17 and am scared because I can seriously eat SO MUCH. I lost 15lbs on the pre-op diet and haven't lost a pound since. Actually this morning the scale said I GAINED a pound. I feel like the liquids and soft foods go through me SO quickly that I don't stay full for very long... then next thing I know, my stomach's growling! I know I'm eating a ton of calories because I'm feeling sluggish, feel as if I'm retaining water, and just have that overall "food hangover" feeling. My pre-op diet consisted of fresh veggies and lean meat; both of which my nutritionist said NOT to eat right now, or else I would just go back to my pre-op diet.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do? I'm feeling so weak and out of control :(

Hi! How are you! Hope you're healing well. I too have my first fill on the 17th and I was talking with my sister (she's been banded for 3 years has lost over 150lbs) about hunger after the swelling has gone down. She said it's basically mind over matter. She said that her hunger came back with a vengeance but she stuck to the post op diet until her first fill. I would stay away from the Atkin shakes, especially since you're drinking 8-10 a day. I noticed that they have waaay more fat than the other shakes (eas muscle milk, ensure high Protein, etc.) I know we shouldn't be concerned about losing weight during this time, but it's soo hard not to!! I had to put my scale away so I could focus on the healing process.

Since you're on soft foods already, just focus on eating your Proteins first, veggies second. Protein, protein, protein as my sister would say!

Edited by Sophie139

Hi Ladies!

I feel your pain! I felt the same way and I was surprised how much I could drink. It helped me when I could go on the mashed foods, I liked the refried Beans and low-fat cottage cheese because it would stick with me longer. My surgery date was Oct. 29th, so I think you are just a little over a week after me. I'm curious if your doctor has limited you to 1/3 cup per meal serving size? I'm with you as far as feeling a little weak and I know I need to keep busier and try to focus on the positive side. It is nice to have your sister there to help you and it is so awesome how well she has done. I like seeing other people's success as it gives me hope and inspiration. I hope we can keep in touch and help each other out through the new chapter in our life. :rolleyes:

I would love to keep in touch!!! We can use all the support and motivation we can get!!! I'm pretty new to this app, is there a way to add friends? Would you prefere Facebook? Yessss keeping busy is a great way to try to keep hunger at bay! I remember while I was on my pre-op diet I kept so busy, my house and classroom have never been cleaner lol

Im 3 yrs banded, but if I remember right, you're going to have a somewhat normal appetite because you haven't been filled yet. The fill is what stops you from eating so much because once you hit the green zone you fill up much faster and stay full longer btwn meals. This and exercise is what will help you lose the weight. The time you're in now is called "Bandster Hell" for a reason. Just follow your Dr.s orders and concentrate on getting/keeping your body healthy, NOT on losing weight. The better you treat your body NOW, the easier it will be for your body to let go of the fat SOON !! I did that per my Dr. and it worked ! Get rid of the scale for now, too !!

Thank you Pink dahlia,

That is really good advise. I need to get rid of my scale and try to just allow the process to work.

Sophie139, I'm new to this app as well and I'm not quite sure how we can keep in contact. I will play around and see if I can figure it out. Wow cleaning your house and classroom that is really good ~ maybe I will just go shopping. LOL

Lol... This was all pre-op... I haven't been at school in two weeks so I'm sure I'll have tons to do when I get back and the house is looking so so, thanks to one of those long reach griper thingies... I was trying to play around with the app... It seems like you can only add people from your desktop or the desktop version.

You guys are awesome! I'm so grateful for this forum. I haven't really told many people about my surgery, and it's wonderful to be able to have people who truly understand what "bandster hell" is!!! lol

You guys are awesome! I'm so grateful for this forum. I haven't really told many people about my surgery, and it's wonderful to be able to have people who truly understand what "bandster hell" is!!! lol

I feel you!! I haven't told anyone outside of my close circle of friends and family. People are very judgmental and always have something to say whether you want to hear it or not. Being that I've been HANGRY, I do not want to deal with anyone's unsolicited advice or opinions on how I could've lost weight the "normal way" instead of the "easy way". Easy my, soon to be small, behind!!

Right?! One of my coworkers had gastric bypass about 10 months ago and has lost SO much weight. She looks great and is so much more confident and happy. She was not shy about telling people about her surgery; she didn't shout it from the rooftops by any means, but she told people that's why she took time off, etc. However it seems like people are trivializing her weight loss - like she took the easy way out. In NO WAY is surgery easy!! They even talk about her saying things like, "she should be losing more weight considering she had surgery." Seriously? This woman has lost over 100lbs in 10 months!!! It's a shame that we feel like we can't share this part of our lives with some people. I've lost weight the "regular" way SOOO many times, but it always comes back... with a vengeance!! I'm thankful modern day science and technology has made it possible for me to lose weight and have an actual tool to help me keep it off!! :)

It shouldn't be called "the easy way out", it should be called "the last resort, end of the road, I've tried everything else and got nowhere but frustrated and disappointed again !!! Easy way out, my ass !!!

That's what I'm afraid of if I tell people at work. That they'll say things like that and talk out of their asses out of sheer ignorance! But I'm sure people at work will put two and two together. I was out for two weeks and all of a sudden I'm losing weight. I keep telling myself that I'm reaching an age where I should care what people say!! Easier said than done!

Pink dahlia I completely agree!! Nothing about this process has been easy!!! When I came to in my hospital room, the first words out of my mouth we're "did I make the right choice??"

I literally never heard a negative comment from anyone, but if I had I would of told them " My Dr. and I feel WLS is the best choice to get my body healthy, strong and closer to a good weight. Thanks for your support ! " Its your journey, not theirs, so don't worry about other people opinions. I am so happy with my results, my only regret is I did'nt do it soone! Best of luck to you !

This thread makes me happy :) I, too have only told a few close friends and my immediate family. No one else needs to know, and this really is OUR journey. I have an advantage, though, because I don't work.

As for post-op hunger, I was banded last Monday and I am starting to get a little hungry. But, my first fill is Dec 9th, which seems to be quicker than what must people experience (3 weeks). I'm OK with that though.

I had surgery on 11/13 and I'm right there with you. I initially lost 17 lbs with preop diet and surgery, but haven't lost anymore. I'm on soft foods and desperately want to 'crunch' on something......lol. I feel little restriction, but feel like I could eat just about anything. I'm trying to stay focused. My first follow up/fill will be Dec 8. Not sure how Thanksgiving with the family will go.