Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand Forum going away?

B-52

Is the Lap Band forum discussions slowly being phased away? Perhaps by natural selection?

I always click "New Content" under lap band forums, and find it is predominantly all posts from people with other surgery procedures, such as Gastric Sleeve....

At first I thought that maybe people were not aware where they were posting,and that there are different categories, but lately there seems to be no boundaries between the types of surgery forums.

Nothing against other surgery types, but I feel experiences between them are different. And when I see a post, and it is from someone with another type of surgery, I cannot respond having no experience....and when there is a thread concerning the Lap band, people with other surgeries respond giving a less than sincere-accurate opinion.

I have heard that most Dr.'s are no longer doing Lap band surgeries and that other procedures are preferred...Least that is what is being said....so is that reflective on this forum also??? And eventually the Lap banders will be over-run and extinct?

thanks for posting this B

i have noticed even though i have (made my search for lap band)

i see many sleeve/bypass threads on my view

could be a reason some of us banders dont post as much...

esp since we are the (outcasts and no one is having band surgeries anymore..)

I think this observation is accurate. Bands are no longer the Gold Standard for WLS.

But in 10 years, the sleeve will not longer be the predominant WLS, either.

It would be super interesting to have the industry predict what will be the Gold Standard for WLS in 10-20 years. I wonder if it will actually be a pill form, rather than a surgical method. I know that the goal of bariatrics is actually to replicate the results of WLS but in a pill form. It's apparently very tough to do from a molecular standpoint and the researchers aren't even close at this point.

Say it isn't so!

I get so much info, comfort, support, & ideas from the bandster community forum thanks to all the last remaining band-people.

I see value in co-mingling with other WLS patients- all supportive & informative too. Still, it's good to hear from same-kind re: complications, tricks of the trade, successes...

I've often felt that melding several WLS sites into the bariatricpal would end up like this. I know the band works for me, and I know other WLS works for others. The incessant drum beating by a few band haters wears thin. That is one reason I've slowed down and visit here less often. I'm here for support, and not to listen to some b***h drama queen diss the band because it makes them feel superior. Sorry, but this is a support group, or it was supposed to be.

Edited by labwalker

:( I hope what you're saying doesn't come true! I was just banded last week and I've found and received so much information from the banders on bariatric pal. Why are surgeons not recommending the band? I've read some awful things but you can't believe everything you read online right? ;) My surgeon loved the idea that I wanted to get banded and was very supportive of my choice. It makes me a little sad when people say things like "a good surgeon won't even do the procedure anymore."

Once upon a time....

Several years ago a company named Keravision developed Intacs, a corneal ring implant for mild myopia. The rings worked, and were reversible. There were complications in some patients.... but when the rings were removed they regained their presurgical vision. Sound familiar :)

At the same time Companies like Visik were promoting Lasik vision correction. Alas, there websites full of horror stories about Lask gone bad! Like any procedure, the problems were due to improper presurgical screening. But once the tissue was ablated, there was no going back for those patients suffering with severe dry eyes or thinned corneas.

Keravison as company failed, although Intacs found a niche market for patients who needed treatment for keratonconus. They didn't fail because the devices were at fault, but because doctors were able to achieve similar results using laser surgery, without leaving implants in the patient. There was a learning curve for Intacs, and it was a small market since the rings offered a very limited range for diopter or astigmatism correction. Now, I am nearsighted, and I would have consider Intacs, but the idea of someone ablating my eye tissue with a laser bothers me. I would opt for reversible, but surgeons promote what works for them, and their business model. There are many surgeons who still promote gastric banding. I would not use that as a gauge to determine which surgery worked best for my needs. I was comfortable with the band, my doctor advocates the band, but I would not want to have my plumping rerouted or most of my stomach removed unless there was no other viable option.

And regardless, I suspect twenty years from now bands, sleeves and RNY surgery will be considered to be archaic an barbaric. You can't live in the future.

Edited by labwalker

We all go with what we are comfortable with. I chose the sleeve because I did not want my plumbing re-routed or have a port in my abdomen. I also believe that by the time my grandbabies are adults the current treatments and surgeries for obesity will be obsolete.

For example, in 1973 (at the age of 21) I had my gallbladder out. Back then, they still cut you half in two, and I was in the hospital eleven days. Now they do it lapascopically, and some places send you home as an outpatient. Medical science never ceases to amaze me.

My understanding, at least with the surgical program at my hospital, is that the surgeons are no longer comfortable with the complication rates associated with bands. Lots of people follow the instructions to a T and still experience a slippage or something else. And the two surgeons at my hospital are no longer willing to entertain those possible issues anymore. That is why, at least at my hospital, the surgeons prefer not to do lap bands. A diligent patient wants to know about complication rates when they choose a surgeon. And surgeons know they don't look good with those issues on the books.

I don't think lap band is being phased out. It may have a smaller share of voice, but I think many prestigious institutions and surgeons still band. The long-term results with sleeve for large patient samples are still to be determined.

The risks quoted to me before surgery were that 1-3% of patients have serious complications with the band such as slippage or erosion. A 97% success rate is good with me.

I've stood by the LAP-BAND since day numero uno and I will continue to do so. The company that purchased it from Allergan (ApolloEndo) has very good intentions and it's in very good hands. They have some really interesting advances coming in the near future. There will always be a vibrant group of Bandsters on here who will keep the fire going. Let's remember our roots .... LapBandTalk.com is what started this all :D I'm here for the long haul, hope others will come along for the journey. In 5-10 years from now you'll see Sleevers standing where Bandsters are today. At the end of the day, we're all battling the same disease!!! I hope one day it'll be cured via pill. Until then.....

I've stood by the LAP-BAND since day numero uno and I will continue to do so. The company that purchased it from Allergan (ApolloEndo) has very good intentions and it's in very good hands. They have some really interesting advances coming in the near future. There will always be a vibrant group of Bandsters on here who will keep the fire going. Let's remember our roots....LapBandTalk.com is what started this all :D I'm here for the long haul, hope others will come along for the journey. In 5-10 years from now you'll see Sleevers standing where Bandsters are today. At the end of the day, we're all battling the same disease!!! I hope one day it'll be cured via pill. Until then.....

Very well said!! I agree!! We are all battling the same disease, regardless of the way we choose to battle it!! Thank you soo much for this wonderful community you have created!! I know I am just beginning this journey, but knowing that there is a wonderful online community that I can come to, makes me feel like I can do this and so much more. From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much!! :)

My understanding, at least with the surgical program at my hospital, is that the surgeons are no longer comfortable with the complication rates associated with bands. Lots of people follow the instructions to a T and still experience a slippage or something else. And the two surgeons at my hospital are no longer willing to entertain those possible issues anymore. That is why, at least at my hospital, the surgeons prefer not to do lap bands. A diligent patient wants to know about complication rates when they choose a surgeon. And surgeons know they don't look good with those issues on the books.

My understanding is that your doctors are quacks.... whatever. The band works. There are many success stories. Can you back their assertions that the band has high complication rates--and please, don't use dated studies. I am sick of this crap being posted on these forums. It was a sad day when the various WLS surgeries were melded into one group. I am sick of this crap. If you have sleeve complications, and it happens, would you like it if successful band patients come back and give you a bunch of crap??

Edited by labwalker

My understanding is that your doctors are quacks.... whatever. The band works. There are many success stories. Can you back their assertions that the band has high complication rates--and please, don't use dated studies. I am sick of this crap being posted on these forums. It was a sad day when the various WLS surgeries were melded into one group. I am sick of this crap. If you have sleeve complications, and it happens, would you like it if successful band patients come back and give you a bunch of crap??

Um, I was just positing a reason why some doctors do not do the band any more. I'm not going to post some study because said reason made you mad. I'm also not saying the band doesn't work. But that was told to me by the clinicians in my program. You don't have to like it, but you also don't have to be defensive about what I posted either. That is the reality with a lot of programs. It is what it is and if you do not like it fine, but no need to go of on me.