Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

General whining

So I have a strange tendency to pick doctors who are a little outside of mainstream. They're opinionated, but usually right, and they're great at what they do. That being said, my hard-nosed surgeon requires 2-3 weeks of Clear liquids post op. It's been driving me crazy.

The first week I was fine, I didn't want anything more. But this week I can't stand the sight of the stupid Protein Shakes. I've tried getting variety. I have 7 tubs of the stuff sitting in my pantry, and all I want is something solid. To chew. I want something that doesn't coat my tongue and make me want to scrape it every time I take a sip. I would even be happy blending some other stuff in, like almond milk, or berries, or heaven forbid a banana, but noooo. That's not in the plaaaaan. I might diiiiiiieeeeee.

So I'm watching tv, trying to distract myself, and the pretty, petite actress on the show is shoveling down more food then I think I'll ever be able to have again, just incidentally. She casually has a hamburger, and fries, and then an apple-cherry tart to die for just because she's flirting with the equally beautiful chef. That's when I realized, I'm jealous of her. Not for being gorgeous, and on tv, and flirting with handsome men, and wearing the pretty clothes, and the expensive shoes. No no. I am jealous of her fake lunch. She's probably not eating any more then the bite or two I will eventually be able to have, but right now that's infinitely more then I get to eat.

I don't get to socialize with food anymore. That's the main way I make and keep friends. It's probably also why I'm fat, cause I like my friends. My current friends will understand, but what about new ones? Seriously, what do I do if, say, I'm at a job interview, and they bring out the pizza lunch? I'm going to have to be that person who's like, no, I can't eat solids. I'll just sit here with my foamy watery chalky thing that I just pulled out of my purse, thanks. Do you have a blender? With enough Water, we may be able to get an ounce or two of something down the pipe. Yes, I am actually worried that I'm never going to eat a solid thing again.

On the plus side, I'm down 25 pounds in two weeks. It would have been more I think, but I'm on my period. I'm off my pain meds, and all the others that were making me drowsy, so I can drive again. My Vitamins are yummy. The incisions have stopped itching, my surgical tape rash is gone, and some of the glue has even come off. My back is not hurting, and my skin has really never looked better. I even walked a hill today. Maybe my cranky-pants surgeon will let me eat some blended things by Thursday. Cottage cheese has never sounded so appetizing.

lol I was like that. First week, no problem. Second week, ugh! shoot me now. That first soft scrambled egg was DIVINE!. Hang in there. It will be worth it.

:) i remember fantasizing about cottage cheese when I was restricted to liquids only post op :|

cottage cheese!

Hang in there; this is all an interesting learning process. You will indeed eat solid food again. It took me a very long time to feel like I can eat "normally"...but it is a NEW normal. Which is exactly what I signed up for!

Keep rockin it, and keep your sense of humor :)

Onward!

You'll be able to eat whatever you want and go to dinner with friends. You just can't shovel in the large amounts any longer. I eat out with friends and family at least 4 times a week and have lost 50 pounds in 3 months. You'll just have to plan on a doggy bag/box. And who cares about a pizza lunch at work? Have one small piece and don't eat the edge crust. 2-3 weeks of liquids only is pretty severe, but you'll make it through. We all have.

So they've let me move on to softish foods. The difference a little cottage cheese makes to my day! I feel 1000% better! Thanks everyone for the support!

My first soft egg was like manna from heaven! BEST. EGG. EVER!

My first non-clear liquid was refried Beans (yesterday) and those were THE best refried beans I have ever had in my life!!! :)

Oh Yeah for the Beans......a little salsa and a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of shredded cheddar.....heavenly. By the time I got my go-ahead for real food, I was so ready. We stopped at Wendy's two blocks from the clinic and I got a small chili with onions and cheese and ate about a fourth of it and a couple of Tony's fries. Best meal I had in four weeks.

Thank you for putting my exact feelings into such a great post!