Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow weight loss one week out...Ideas?

I was "sleeved" on 11/10. I am just over a week out and I am feeling a bit frustrated. I lost a couple of pounds the first few days after surgery but since then NOTHING. I don't understand. I'm eating around 50-60 grams of Protein a day, drinking Water, and eating some broth or sugar free Jello once a day or so. I get the "full" feeling and I stop. I have been walking everyday and finally have some of my energy back. I am having major fears about this "working" for me. I am obviously "eating" so much less then I ever did before and ... nothing. Why wouldn't I lose? I've read on stalls - but this soon out? I just don't get it. Anyone have advice? I don't know what more I can do - other then live at the gym. Ugg...

Please, please don't give up. I lost 10lbs the first week I was home and then literally stalled for FOUR weeks! I like you couldn't understand what I was doing wrong and I had read about 2-3 week stalls but never 4 weeks. Hang in there, one morning you'll wake up and another 5-10lbs will just fall off. I am 6 weeks postop

Edited by SBovee

Thanks SBovee! I don't feel like I can give up. I mean I can't eat like I did before. My doctor keeps us on a liquid diet for 5 weeks after surgery. Seems a lot longer then most. I am "lucky" in that I have a husband who was "sleeved" in May. But I watched his weight literally fall off over night. I have a lot less to lose but he has been so successful. I feel like I put myself through a lot to lose 14 pounds (including pre-op) and then stop. I know it's only been a week - but it's challenging not to be frustrated!

This has nothing to do with giving up or not giving up. Your body has been through a major operation. Not to mention all the meds. Not to mention the stress on your body. Not to mention the swelling and the fact that it takes weeks for your body to heal after this surgery.

Stop weighing yourself and be patient. As long as you are following your surgeons advice it is bound to come off....Put the scale away for now and bring it out in a month or so. In my case in a year or so. It is self sabotage when you weigh yourself this early and expect big things...

This is not Jane lost more weight then me at a week out or Rose lost less then me. This is about your health and healing right now. Nothing more.

You need to rest and move like walking but this is asking way too much right now!

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Sorry let me clarify. I didn't mean you have the option of actually giving up. It's not like you can get your stomach back. I meant don't get down sometimes it can take a long time to see results. I was hoping to simply offer some up lifting hope instead of telling you to wait it out/stop expecting so much (like the person above). I was told the same thing when I posted the same question. And that's less than helpful when someone is frustrated. Best of luck. :)

Edited by SBovee

Stop looking at the scale. You just had surgery. While many do see an immediate, rapid loss, many do not. Let your body heal, drink your Water, move/exercise as much as you can. STOP LOOKING AT THE SCALE.

Thanks SBovee! I don't feel like I can give up. I mean I can't eat like I did before. My doctor keeps us on a liquid diet for 5 weeks after surgery. Seems a lot longer then most. I am "lucky" in that I have a husband who was "sleeved" in May. But I watched his weight literally fall off over night. I have a lot less to lose but he has been so successful. I feel like I put myself through a lot to lose 14 pounds (including pre-op) and then stop. I know it's only been a week - but it's challenging not to be frustrated!

I was on full liquids for 2 weeks.

I hope you see some results on the scale soon. I know what it's like to be looking and waiting. No matter what nobody else says, if you're addicted to the scale, none of us can make you change that, WTBS, I pray when you weigh again, you see some results! :)

The solution is simple. Stay off of the scale. Follow the guidelines provided by your bariatric team and you can not fail. Meet your daily Protein and Water goals, take your Vitamins, exercise, and stay off of the scale. It will happen.

I feel your frustration and know exactly what you mean. I'm there too. I'm also obsessed with the scale. No amount of telling me to stay off of it will keep me off. I was sleeved on November 4th and lost 18lbs in the first week. Had an over the phone check up with my doctor on my one week anniversary and expressed to him how thrilled I was with the loss. I swear, from the minute I hung up the phone, I immediately stalled. Gained .4 lbs for three days straight. On the last day of week two at my morning weigh in I lost the 1.2 I gained and .2 more. Lost another .2 yesterday, and nothing today. It is horribly frustrating to go from losing to not losing after only a week. I started week three yesterday feeling like a failure already. I know the reality of stalls, but it doesn't make our feelings of frustration any less valid. Just like when we do see the scale finally go down again, our feelings of joy won't be invalid. Good luck on your journey and the roller coaster of ups and downs.

I feel your frustration and know exactly what you mean. I'm there too. I'm also obsessed with the scale. No amount of telling me to stay off of it will keep me off. I was sleeved on November 4th and lost 18lbs in the first week. Had an over the phone check up with my doctor on my one week anniversary and expressed to him how thrilled I was with the loss. I swear, from the minute I hung up the phone, I immediately stalled. Gained .4 lbs for three days straight. On the last day of week two at my morning weigh in I lost the 1.2 I gained and .2 more. Lost another .2 yesterday, and nothing today. It is horribly frustrating to go from losing to not losing after only a week. I started week three yesterday feeling like a failure already. I know the reality of stalls, but it doesn't make our feelings of frustration any less valid. Just like when we do see the scale finally go down again, our feelings of joy won't be invalid. Good luck on your journey and the roller coaster of ups and downs.

Can I ask what you did with that information other than feel frustrated? Did you increase your Protein, increase your Water,exercise more? Did you take into account Water weight, hormonal changes? See for me that's empty info. However with my food diary, I look at what I ate. Was it processed food? Was it high in sodium, high in carbs? Was it mostly complex carbs or an overabundance of simple carbs? Did I drink the bare minimum of water? Those thing are more concrete for me. I can't change my hormones, but I can make sure to avoid processed foods. I can make sure that my carbs are modest and mostly complex carbs. The effects are almost instantaneous. When I regulate my sodium, mys feet and legs don't swell. When I meet my exercise goals, I have more energy and my knees don't hurt. Best of all when I do all these things that I monitor in my food diary every time I get on the scale I show a loss.

Can I ask what you did with that information other than feel frustrated? Did you increase your Protein, increase your Water, exercise more? Did you take into account water weight, hormonal changes? See for me that's empty info. However with my food diary, I look at what I ate. Was it processed food? Was it high in sodium, high in carbs? Was it mostly complex carbs or an overabundance of simple carbs? Did I drink the bare minimum of water? Those thing are more concrete for me. I can't change my hormones, but I can make sure to avoid processed foods. I can make sure that my carbs are modest and mostly complex carbs. The effects are almost instantaneous. When I regulate my sodium, mys feet and legs don't swell. When I meet my exercise goals, I have more energy and my knees don't hurt. Best of all when I do all these things that I monitor in my food diary every time I get on the scale I show a loss.

I didn't do anything with that information. What was I supposed to do with it? I am still on full liquids, so I don't bother with charting anything yet. I drink one mega muscle milk Protein Shake a day (40 grams of protein). I drink my water. I drink 3 oz of Soup once a day. I fell and sprained my ankle on the 14th so no walking for me. Lots of laying in bed with my foot raised above my heart.

What do you do when you have feelings of joy from success? Do you feel like you have to validate those feelings or do something about them? Do you feel the need to process the information you receive from your joy? I'm going to guess no. You just feel happy. Same thing for frustration. I don't feel the need to process it or get information from it. I just feel frustrated and move on. Feelings - good and bad - are part of life. You don't have to analyze or try to validate them all the time. You just have to keep on going.

I didn't do anything with that information. What was I supposed to do with it? I am still on full liquids, so I don't bother with charting anything yet. I drink one mega muscle milk Protein shake a day (40 grams of protein). I drink my Water. I drink 3 oz of Soup once a day. I fell and sprained my ankle on the 14th so no walking for me

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I'm honestly trying to figure out why you would weigh yourself daily when it frustrates you. I did 2 weeks on full liquids and logged every day. Why? Because I did 3 different Proteins, (a powder, a liquid and a protein) and I made my own Soups so I still wanted to make sure I met my Protein requirement. Why? Because that was something I could do. I don't repeat actions that frustrate me. Even though I only weigh myself once a month, I under some people need to weigh more frequently. I can understand the weekly weighers. I really don't understand the daily weighers or rather I don't understand the people who weigh themselves frequently when it frustrates them if the scale doesn't move. I just choose to work my program in a way that provides the optimum positive reinforcement.

Edited by Blerdgirl

I was sleeved on the twelfth . Waited a week to weigh myself only to find that i GAINED 8 pounds. So don't feel too bad. I am feeling frustrated also. I am been doing everything I am supposed to . I just don't get it . I would be inpossible to gain weight on eating less than 600 calorie a day!!

@@bettyann1015 - relax. Your body has undergone major surgery and now it has fewer calories than normal coming in. It's going to hold onto every calorie it can. The weight loss will come.