Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Early Stages - confused about a couple of things

Hi all

I have been researching the Lap-Band surgery for over two years now. I'm the type of person who needs to have all of the facts before I make any decisions especially something as long term as this. I've been struggling with my weight since I was a young child.Two years ago I was finally diagnosed with insulin resistance and PCOS after visiting numerous doctors and explaining the symptoms over and over again and after doing numerous diets, prescribed diet pills, low carb this and low carb that but nothing has stuck. I dont eat much(maybe twice a day) but when I do I tend to lean on high carb / high sugary foods.

My primary reason for going through this process is because of my health.Everyone on my mother's side of the family has had diabetes, strokes, high blood pressure. I am seeing those symptoms in myself with the Insulin resistance that could easily lead to Type 2 Diabetes and at 27 I dont want to wake up one day and regret not living my life to my full potential due to my selfish stubborn ways.

I am going for my 2nd follow up with my bariatric doctor in December . I have done the nutrition class and my psych eval is in December as well .. so I am taking the steps towards surgery.

After reading the forums on this website for over two months now, I see that a lot of people are struggling with the aftermath of surgery.

What I would like to find out from some of you that HAVE gone through the surgery is how do you get over the intial shock to your body? I imagine that for me it will be as if Im withdrawing from a drug ( carbs) so Im ready mentally but physically dont know how I'll take it.

Hi Ivona. First of all, congratulations for making this decision. You sound like a wise woman for someone still so young.

All I can do is give you my experience. I am also a big carb lover. Sugar not as much, but I have a sweet tooth and struggle at times. For me, it was more of a psychological struggle rather than a physical one. Oh sure....the liquid diet is tough. I won't lie about that. And yes, I had headaches, nausea, hunger, and was miserable.

The only thing I can say is that it it temporary and once you are eating mushies, it's much better. I've also been very fortunate in that I've had no issues with my band and have lost weight fairly consistently.

Looking back, it's all worth it as I've improved my health dramatically along with all the other positive changes that comes with losing almost 150 lbs.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your status.

Thank you that certainly helps.

I am most afraid of the physical effects ... the psychological I can control but the physical is what bothers me the most. I absolutely HATE feeling nauseous and dizzy .

I do however anticipate that it wont be an easy transition because my life will have to change entirely in order to reach not only my weight loss goal but my health goal as well.

I also have never been the "skinny" girl .. so as excited as I am about losing the weight and getting healthy Im also afraid of feeling uncomfortable in my new body. .. I know these are silly concerns but I do have them :) lol

I also have never been the "skinny" girl .. so as excited as I am about losing the weight and getting healthy Im also afraid of feeling uncomfortable in my new body. .. I know these are silly concerns but I do have them :) lol

This fear is not the least bit silly. I see a therapist to help with feeling like I don't know who I am now that I don't recognize myself. I am physically more comfortable in this small body but psychologically not. I'm not the only one either. There are others on this site who get professional help. Some people love hearing that they are hardly recognizable anymore but there are also plenty of people like me who don't like hearing that. Yes, I know it means I look so much better than I did before but it also comes with a host of other issues. Don't hesitate to ask questions no matter how silly they may sound. I guarantee you that someone on this site can relate to anything you are thinking.

Congrats on making the hard decision to have this procedure. So, I am a month out of surgery and I can honestly tell you it was not as hard as I thought to adjust to my new way of eating. So the pre-surgery diet was a real pain in the butt, for me it was the hardest part of all this. Once I had my surgery things were no longer in my control so that was easier. A couple days after surgery I was feeling really unwell, I was weak and dizzy and was even afraid to take a hot shower incase I fell. I think that was just my body adjusting to the lack of "nutrition" (McDonalds). After I started pureed foods things started to get a whole lot better, I could eat "normal" foods again and would eat about a cup at a time, funny enough my thoughts before surgery were "That will NEVER satisfy me" and I thought I would be starving all the time. Not the case, I didn't feel very hungry between meals but come meal time I was ready to dive into my mashed sweet potatoes or cream of celery Soup and after about a cup to a cup and a half of food and 20-30min later I was full. I will be honest sometimes you "forget" that you have the band, for a split second and don't chew enough but then you are kindly reminded that you need to take your time. Now that I am on almost solid foods I have never felt better, I am down 35lbs and fitting into clothes I have now worn in years. Honestly it is a frightening experience as your surgery date creeps up on you and you will wonder, did I make the right choice, but in the end I would do it all again. Feeling the way I am feeling now is so encouraging. Yes eating after the band is different, yes there will be times when your friend walks by with a pepperoni pizza with double cheese and you want to jump them. But! You will sit down with your small chicken salad or tuna wrap and half an hour later you will have forgotten all about that artery clogging pizza. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey, and don't lose faith in your decision.