Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Falling back into habits

What about going back to the basics? You have gained 4 pounds but you were on vacation. What about just getting back into the swing of things of what you did to lose in the beginning? Things like Portion Control, exercise, etc.?

You gained 4 pound on vacation! You're fine! I know what you mean though...I'm a year out and I am obsessive about making sure I weigh everyday because it is so easy to gain it back. Four pounds though on vacation is nothing, particularly if you are stressed out about it. To me that shows that you are very cognizant of the gain and that a week or two of healthy, normal eating, and you'll be right back to your regular weight in no time. :) Now if you had gained 40...we might have to talk, lol.

Hey zayadern - I am fighting the same struggle, though I was sleeved 6 months ago. I have lost 75 lbs since surgery and have 56 more to go - but this past week has found me slipping back into bad habits and I've gained 1.5 lbs. Not a disaster, but a definite warning bell!

It may well be true that 4 lb on vacation isn't much to worry about, but you know yourself best, and so if you need a bit of challenge or encouragement to get back on track feel free to send me a private message and we can 'buddy up' on getting back to what we each know works for ourselves. For me that's logging food, no more sweets (except my Calcium chews) and staying within my calorie range. I'm doing well on exercise though--thank goodness.

Lost 75 lbs. Gained 4 back

@@zayadern

NOT minimizing your gain

but your loss "outweighs" ;) your gain :)

you should/must try and stop at 4 lbs

people have been arrested if they gain more :o ;)

"attempted" analogy

my 85 year old mom has worried she might have dimensia

doc told her as long as she is concerned about it, she is ok :)

you worry that you might be going back to old habits

"hopefully" that means you won't

worry/concernd/aware you might go backwards - old bad habits,

hopefully you'll nip things in the bud :)

the only problem about you gaining alittle weight on vacation

is you forgot to invite me :wacko: :D

@@AvaFern (me too) suggest, weighing yourself daily to make sure you haven't gain.

if or when :blink: i might gain a bit, i work harder and the weight does come off

when i gained 3-4 lbs, I started throwing Protein shakes and yogurt at poor hubby :lol:

its ok/good to be nervous that you've gained a bit, afraid you will go back to old habits

if you really think your are going backwards

KNOCK IT OFF :lol:

keep working hard

i have faith and confidence that you will be great

you will continue to do awesome :)

you lost 75 lbs

congrats!

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Thank you so much for your kind reply. It definitely made me feel better. I worry only because I met a lot of people who had the same surgery and they all went back to their pre-op weights. This scares me bad!!

Hey zayadern - I am fighting the same struggle, though I was sleeved 6 months ago. I have lost 75 lbs since surgery and have 56 more to go - but this past week has found me slipping back into bad habits and I've gained 1.5 lbs. Not a disaster, but a definite warning bell!

It may well be true that 4 lb on vacation isn't much to worry about, but you know yourself best, and so if you need a bit of challenge or encouragement to get back on track feel free to send me a private message and we can 'buddy up' on getting back to what we each know works for ourselves. For me that's logging food, no more sweets (except my Calcium chews) and staying within my calorie range. I'm doing well on exercise though--thank goodness.

I need a buddy like you don't know how to.

Zayadern got your message trying to.respond really need a buddy bettyaaron5@gmail.com

I am just starting this journey and the thought of sliding back scares me to death. Because I did it once. I had the lap band in 2008 and I worked hard to lose and maintain a loss of 150lbs for 1-2 years. But my band slipped while I was pregnant. Ended up weighing like 115lbs!!! (Try to maintain 150 so that was toooo skinny). Ended up in the hospital and almost died. (I didn't fully realize how bad the slip was, just thought it was also pregnancy sickness). Anyway I had emergency surgery to remove the band. The nurses were so interested in my story and I remember them asking if I would have it replaced later on. I confidently answered no! I left the hospital at like 145 (all the iv fluid). I was exhausted and I allowed myself to slip back. Started with ordering out to Celebrate being home and finally being able to eat. Spiraled into a food addiction that is unbelievable even to me. I ended up back at 270lbs before my surgery on 12/2. I had stopped weighing myself. Had every excuse in the book. So I'm scared about failing this time too. Ok... Point of sharing all of that is that no, please do not beat yourself up over 4lbs, but YES- recognize it and do something different. Don't allow yourself to make any excuses or to relax about it because man that weight creeps on darn fast! You can do this (saying this both to you and to me lol). It is going to be hard, there will be ups and downs, but it is so worth it.

I had my sleeve surgery on May 7th, 2014. I had lost 76 pounds. My father-in-law passed away at the end of October 2014, and just last week, I finally realized that I had slipped back into my old habit of snacking even though I am definitely not hungry. I weighted myself tonight and I am up 8 pounds from the last time I weighed in. I know it is from the emotions of being the support that my husband and kids need me to be. I am so scared that I will gain weight back.....and considering that I still have 80 pounds to lose, this is very serious to me. The weather hasn't been a help, as I am generally more "down" during the winter anyway. I just don't know which way to turn right now......

Hey @Sotired92 that's a rough one. My surgery was only a few days before yours in fact. You lost a great amount of weight though, and so you know that you DO know how and that you CAN do this. It's not a once-and-for-all-never-struggle-again kind of thing for some of us who feel pretty well addicted to food or certain foods. I know I see myself start to plateau for a couple weeks, then my logging food slips away, then treats become daily habits and my calories creep up and the plateau continues ... So this last time I let it go to 4 weeks of a plateau and then started being more proactive about what I knew worked. Sort of 'taking myself in hand' if you will, and it really made a good bit of difference, and tiny success built me up for next steps and more successes. By success, I mean my behavior matching up with my goals, not even the scale numbers, although that happened too.

I live in the NW and so I know the frustration of the weather thing! Consider a full spectrum light to lift the emotional gloom perhaps, and try to be bold about outfitting yourself and going out in it anyway. Then you get to feel proud of yourself too! Lots of people are good with the gym - I go for weight training but can't stand running on a treadmill - i'd rather do it in the rain myself.

Good luck and try not to feel too discouraged. Catching yourself at 8 pounds and noticing the habits is such a good thing! Good for you doing that. Next steps are possible - you can do this.

cheering you on - Kate