Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In the Springof the year I was given a life saving option of weight loss surgery. As the weeks turned into months I anxiously but execitedly await my surgery date. I had to check off many things on a list to get the surgery done. Everything up to the surgery was first class. As I sit here writting this I dont know just how much to divulge as I dont want to talk anyone out of this surgery, but will tell you I think the docotors motives behind the surgery has nothing to do with you.

Rouhly 9 days before surgery I was notified of a opening and I was ready. After over a week of a pre opt diet I thought I was ready. I waited in the pre op a few hours after my schedualed time but didnt think too much of it. I was really scared but made myself get through it. I awoke in surgery in a large amount of pain, and was flailing my arms about for unknown reasons. Everyone was yelling at me, the surgery is over. The next few days I spent in ICU, in pain and unable to drink Water or consume the Protein packacks. I think I hit the pain button 87 times in one hour at one point. The button thing only administered pain meds 4 times out of that hour. Your encouraged to walk and drink Water. I quickly fell into a routine of taking two sips of water, taking a walk, asking for pain meds, and laying real still. I wanted to give up on life at times due to the pain. Simple task like peeing was execruiciating.After a few days I was deemed ok to be released.

Once I was home I was able to drink water with no probems, Bowel movemnts were normal, and I felt really good. I pulled out the discharge paperwork and noticed immediatly I was doing some things wrong. I had no anti ulce meds, and the meds I was on before I could not take dues them being large 1000 mg horse pills. I should have been sent home Protein suppliments and anti ulcer meds. This was part of the package I was sold to help me make my decision on the operation. So I get online to the prescribed support site and found everyone else recieved this and much more. So I pick up the phone and call and get a non working number. So I called the Surgery Unit and ask for the Nurse Coordinator, he has left and the new one had not been trained yet. So I guess I could say I can wait during my liquid diet phase. I was also told to call if I had any questions. Well no one returned my call or called in any scripts, imagine that.

Now the good news. Even though I am not taking meds I am feeling very good. My diabetes is at normal levels. Im tired and weak, but able to do things I could not do before. Now mind you I can not do much while I heal up. I seem to be able to tolerate the prescribed diet and I look forward to the next few months. I have lost some weight, maybe a little too much too fast.

In Summary, do not do this surgery if you can diet and exercise. Everyone is different but I would not widsh the pain I had on anyone. I was dying anyway, so the pain was worth it. Now the info I got to make my decision was false. Get it in writting if they make promises about meds and suppliments. I still dont know how Im gonna find out why I have a extra incicsion, or why the phone calls are not being returned. I also dont understand why no follow up appointmenst ahve been made yet. I have already missed my 1 week appointment. I will be contatcting Tricare in the am and give them a piece of my mind about the whole procedure. I was given many handouts with phone numbers, web addresses and such for help. They dont work lol. But still think this is a plus for me. I hate being lied to.

I am really sorry you had this experience. How are you feeling now? Hang in there, and keep the site updated. :) You're in my thoughts.

Sounds like you had a horrible experience and I feel for you. First, there are complications from the procedure going in and my doctor not over went over each complication in as much detail as I wanted. I emailed him question about His particular statistics related to the procedure. It you weren't fully aware of the possible short and long term consequences than you need assess your doctor not the procedure. Second, as a person with chronic diseases (GERD high BP, disabetes, thyroid, arthiritis) I quickly recognized that the surgery subsituted 1 chronic disorder (malnoutrition) for obesity and all the obesity related disorders. I said this to my doctor before the surgery, he looke surprise. But agreed. I have been off diabetes, my bp is running normal and the doctor is talking about decreasing my thyroid medication. Personally I think it is a fair exchange. Finally, this surgery is not about losing weight - if it is a bout losing it quickly AND keeping it off. I have lost hundreds of pounds over the years this surgery provides away to make the lost permanent. Clearly, if you can llose weight quickly and keep it off this surgery is not for you. IN fact, my insurance requires a history of yo-yo weight losss before they will cover.

Sounds you have had an experience that may not been characterized by you being fully informed - that is a problem of the surgeon and his team. not the surgery. Have you confronted your surgeon about your feelings? you should.

In the Springof the year I was given a life saving option of weight loss surgery. As the weeks turned into months I anxiously but execitedly await my surgery date. I had to check off many things on a list to get the surgery done. Everything up to the surgery was first class. As I sit here writting this I dont know just how much to divulge as I dont want to talk anyone out of this surgery, but will tell you I think the docotors motives behind the surgery has nothing to do with you.

Rouhly 9 days before surgery I was notified of a opening and I was ready. After over a week of a pre opt diet I thought I was ready. I waited in the pre op a few hours after my schedualed time but didnt think too much of it. I was really scared but made myself get through it. I awoke in surgery in a large amount of pain, and was flailing my arms about for unknown reasons. Everyone was yelling at me, the surgery is over. The next few days I spent in ICU, in pain and unable to drink Water or consume the Protein packacks. I think I hit the pain button 87 times in one hour at one point. The button thing only administered pain meds 4 times out of that hour. Your encouraged to walk and drink Water. I quickly fell into a routine of taking two sips of water, taking a walk, asking for pain meds, and laying real still. I wanted to give up on life at times due to the pain. Simple task like peeing was execruiciating.After a few days I was deemed ok to be released.

Once I was home I was able to drink water with no probems, Bowel movemnts were normal, and I felt really good. I pulled out the discharge paperwork and noticed immediatly I was doing some things wrong. I had no anti ulce meds, and the meds I was on before I could not take dues them being large 1000 mg horse pills. I should have been sent home Protein suppliments and anti ulcer meds. This was part of the package I was sold to help me make my decision on the operation. So I get online to the prescribed support site and found everyone else recieved this and much more. So I pick up the phone and call and get a non working number. So I called the Surgery Unit and ask for the Nurse Coordinator, he has left and the new one had not been trained yet. So I guess I could say I can wait during my liquid diet phase. I was also told to call if I had any questions. Well no one returned my call or called in any scripts, imagine that.

Now the good news. Even though I am not taking meds I am feeling very good. My diabetes is at normal levels. Im tired and weak, but able to do things I could not do before. Now mind you I can not do much while I heal up. I seem to be able to tolerate the prescribed diet and I look forward to the next few months. I have lost some weight, maybe a little too much too fast.

In Summary, do not do this surgery if you can diet and exercise. Everyone is different but I would not widsh the pain I had on anyone. I was dying anyway, so the pain was worth it. Now the info I got to make my decision was false. Get it in writting if they make promises about meds and suppliments. I still dont know how Im gonna find out why I have a extra incicsion, or why the phone calls are not being returned. I also dont understand why no follow up appointmenst ahve been made yet. I have already missed my 1 week appointment. I will be contatcting Tricare in the am and give them a piece of my mind about the whole procedure. I was given many handouts with phone numbers, web addresses and such for help. They dont work lol. But still think this is a plus for me. I hate being lied to.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. This seems like an issue with your specific surgeon. If you can't get into contact with their office call your primary care doctor ASAP and see if they can refer you to another surgeon and take over your care in the mean time.

I didn't realize until after my surgery that I had go take ulcer meds until after. What they prescribed me was like $300. I declined to buy them and instead went and got cheap otc omeprazol. My surgeon said that was fine as long as I was taking something. You obviously know you need to take something, so go get it. It's cheap and the pills are tiny.

MsUjime, thank you. Im glad folks here understand what I am saying and not trating me like a little kid who doesnt understand big words.

I am feeling fine and able to exercise. I have to work on my Protein now and I am following what I was gievn out at discharge.

I have called several times. Been put on hold and told they would call back later. Unfortunately I still am weak and tired later in the afternoon and nap. So I miss calls.

I have many of the symptoms of MsUjime and am working towards financial and working solutions to get what I need. As I have a family I have always sacrificed for them and dont feel comfortable taking much needed recources away from them.

Thank you all for your kind words as it is hard for me to be nice when interacting with the Dr's Staff. It is pure laziness to not write presscriptions that cost me nothing as I am service connected. To deny me care, and hide from your responsibilities is unacceptable to me. There was a lot of things included in the package to get me to do the operation. They basically lied. My attempts to talk with a doctor have failed.

Just wanted to be clear on that. I dont want anyone making a mistake based on bad info.

I do need to contact TriCare, but just busy living life at the moment. Im hitting the fluids and exercise as hard as I can to make sure I dont get sick and end back in the hospital. I have what I need to take care of myself. But sure could use the help the prescritions could provide. Being a service Connected veteran I can get meds and stuff at a pretty low co pay. Im not going to let this make me mad anymore or get me down.

I think it is essential that you get a doctor to manage your care-- may be your primary doctor. If the post surgery is not managed correctly - there could be life threatening consequences.

I do need to contact TriCare, but just busy living life at the moment. Im hitting the fluids and exercise as hard as I can to make sure I dont get sick and end back in the hospital. I have what I need to take care of myself. But sure could use the help the prescritions could provide. Being a service Connected veteran I can get meds and stuff at a pretty low co pay. Im not going to let this make me mad anymore or get me down.

Yes I notified my Primary care today(again) about it.

I have just noticed a large bruise that wasnt there yesterday on my lower stomach. Is this normal? I hope you all dont mind me sharing a picture of my belly.post-237663-0-70131200-1413612405_thumb.jpg

Hi I just want to say I am NOT a doctor but that may be blood settling under your skin are u in any pain? I would call your surgeon asap and ask to be seen as soon as humanly possible the surgeon office should have an on call dr 24/7 for these purposes I'm still pre op but my surgeons office has this u can get in touch with someone anytime if u can't then maybe go to urgent care just in case or emergency get an ultrasound X-rays to make sure there's no blood clots or internal bleeding did u bump into anything at all or somehow inadvertantly injure yourself? I hope all is well and good luck let us know how u make out

I bounced this off a lot of folks and another forum and it is most likely from the shots I recieved. Its not painful, and the Surgical unit is not returning my calls. I havent fell or did anything to hurt myself. I am keeping a eye on it.

Can you clarify what you mean by calling the surgical unit? Are you calling the hospital where you had surgery? You need to call the doctor

If he works only out of the hospital and isn't returning calls. Call the coo at the hospital.

I am not sure if you are active duty and so this makes a difference on where you receive and obtain care?

I've never heard of calling the surgical unit at the hospital after surgery. They can't help once you're discharged

I know you're healing but maybe have someone drive you down to the actual program place you went to. Then demand they help you while you're there. It seems like they are dodging calls and being there will make them have some type of responsibility. I'm sorry you have to go through all of this.

Can you clarify what you mean by calling the surgical unit? Are you calling the hospital where you had surgery? You need to call the doctor

If he works only out of the hospital and isn't returning calls. Call the coo at the hospital.

I am not sure if you are active duty and so this makes a difference on where you receive and obtain care?

I've never heard of calling the surgical unit at the hospital after surgery. They can't help once you're discharged

Well printed instructions gave several numbers and emails(most non working) you should call if you had any complications or questions. Questions are not being answered, calls are not being returned. Did that help.

I know you're healing but maybe have someone drive you down to the actual program place you went to. Then demand they help you while you're there. It seems like they are dodging calls and being there will make them have some type of responsibility. I'm sorry you have to go through all of this.

Unfortantely it is out of state and I do not have the funds. I would love to go into this but it would confuse the forum trying to explain service connected and travel pay stuff. There was some promises made and they lied. While others seem to get help, myself and family are left to cope by ourselves. I think Im loosing weight too fast. I was 281 pounds on the 9th of October. I am now 256 pounds out of the shower.