Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood pressure and weight loss

For all the veterans of lap band who previously had high blood pressure, I have a question. When you reached a normal (according to charts), weight loss level, how soon did you see a drop in your blood pressure? I have had high blood pressure since I was sixteen and 118 pounds. By the time I was 20, I was taking high blood pressure medications. At that time, I was told I most likely would be on it for life. I did not see any improvement in regular (monthly) dr checked blood pressure readings, until last month. For the first time it was low. Periodically, I have been checking it at home, a few minutes ago it was 97/67. I'm thinking that may be the reason my energy level has been so low lately. Obviously, I will be addressing this with my physician, but on one hand, it's exciting this Heath issue may be resolving, on the other side, how odd to possibly not take medication, and I do have concerns because my father has had two strokes and occasional TIA's. Mom also had hbp, as well as sibs. So, if there are medical professionals who can shed some light, or if you have experienced this, please weigh in! I have an appointment after Columbus Day.

Seriously, because of the low weight I had started at taking the meds, I think we all thought genetic, kidney etc causes, not weight.

Good morning! I too have been on blood pressure meds since my 20's. But I also have had a weight problem for my whole life almost. I can lose weight and it goes down but the minute I start to gain it goes up. I had lapband surgery on the 23rd of January. I am on 4 blood pressure medicines. Last time I went in for a fill it was 100/69 which is low they said. I just recently heard a doctor on the radio say it is almost hard to keep going if the top number is 100 or below so I do believe that is why you dont have any energy. Definetly talk to your dr about it and he will probably start weaning you off slowly. I have gotten off one with hopes of getting off all the others as well. There is a family history with me as well. My father passed away at the age of 51 after having surgery for high blood pressure that would not go down with medicine. He also ended up having over 16 mini strokes before he passed away. My mother also has high blood pressure. I do think genetics plays a part in it but I cannot remember a minute that my mom or dad excersised which is something I try to do regulary. Hopefully we can overcome the genetics part of it with a more healthy lifestyle. Thats what Im hoping for in my journey anyway. Good luck!

I'll preface this by saying that I am not a doctor or health care provider.......

I never took blood pressure meds until I was very heavy....at an older age. When I dropped my first 20 pounds, I was able to get off the meds. But I didn't have an extreme blood pressure issue; definitely obesity related.

Your issue sounds genetic. If you've had high blood pressure since the age of sixteen at 118 pounds, then it's certainly not weight related. The reading you had this morning is low, but I wouldn't rush to stop taking the meds. I suggest making an appointment with your cardiologist. Let him do a current work up, and make any changes he sees are necessary. Given your family history, I would definitely proceed with caution. Yes, weight loss can definitely effect blood pressure (as many of us know), but it sounds like you may have some other things going on.

Edited by mrsto

Too add to my above comments, I was told to go off the blood pressure meds when I became very lethargic. The nurse at my surgeon's office said that I probably don't need the meds anymore; it could happen that fast. And my blood pressure readings confirmed it.

I am not sure, my blood pressure was borderline (at 150/90)... I've been taking the lowest dose prescription since then. I asked my doctor about possibly getting off the meds, but he feels that staying on them is more beneficial as we age. I know one thing, I was wiped out for months when I started taking BP medication, and my dosage had to be reduced.

This is one of those things that varies widely from one person to the next. Your doctor is the only one who can advise you properly on this particular subject due to the complexity of the variables involved.

Having said that, I can tell you a little bit about my experience. I had only been on blood pressure medication for about 3 yrs when I had my lap-band surgery. I was on 4 different medications to control my blood pressure at the time of my surgery on Dec. 20, 2013. My doctor monitored my blood pressure closely and had me monitor it at home between visits and slowly weaned my BP meds. I had only lost about 20 lbs when he started weaning the meds and I was off of all of those meds by July. My blood pressure actually runs low now in spite of the fact that I am on no medication for it. My heart rate is also low. However, I work out, run, and exercise more now than I ever have in my life AND I'm at a normal weight so that's why they're low. I don't have any issues related to it so it's all good.

I never had high blood pressure even at my top weight. Have now dropped into upper category of low blood pressure. Don't take any meds, but when I get out of bed I have to sit on the edge of the bed and wait for room to stop spinning and sometimes the same when I get out of a chair. If I stand too quickly I have been known to fall against something or someone, but docs all say "just stand slowly."

Lee, one thing my son did say to me was to be mindful of staying hydrated. Good point.