Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Friends in NE Kansas

Hoping to link up on the forum with anyone who lives in the NE Kansas area who may be patients at the Bariatric Center of Kansas City on Prairie Star Parkway. I haven't been to any of their post-op support groups yet, since I am still awaiting a surgery date. I have met all the other requirements, and my case manager submitted my file to Medicare for final approval this past Friday. I am so hoping for a surgery date soon to begin my weight loss journey. I have opted for the Gastric Sleeve surgery. I met a couple of people at the Patient Education Class, but didn't get their contact info. I was afraid that would have been asking too much at the class. Just want to be supportive of others and get support in this weight loss journey. I noticed a lot of the forum members were from different states and I don't have a problem with that, but thought it might help to find someone who would be a support group friend at the Center where I am going for my surgery and post-op care. A lot of my friends either don't think I am overweight or they say I carry my weight well, but I am overweight by at least 100 lbs and I have significant health problems related to being obese which qualifies me (I hope anyway) for the surgery. My user name is short, as in "For Longer Life". That is my goal, to have a healthy and longer life to spend with my children and grandchildren (as well as friends).

Welcome 4Lgrlife_53,

Here you can find a lot off support and new friends who will listen and chat back at you. Never a dumb question here and if you have a problem you can be sure someone else has had the same problem.

Again welcome, Linda

Thank you Linda. Wishing you success in your weight loss journey too. I'm excited about the upcoming surgery (once I get scheduled; awaiting final insurance approval now). I have been miserable at my current weight (242) and have been unable to get it off -- or I get a little off then I gain it back and then some with conventional diets. I know I poured out over $4000 in gym memberships and personal training sessions to try to get the weight off my belly, upper arms and thighs. After falling down (twice in the same day), and breaking several bones, I was wheelchair bound for almost five months recovering from the two surgeries that followed. I'm bouncing back after all the injuries, but now my focus is on getting the weight off and keeping it off, and getting back into decent physical shape (or as close to it as I can with my age). I cringe sometimes when I see the professional football players' profiles on TV and realize I weigh more than some of those big guys. It's a horrible feeling since I am very self-conscious about my appearance. I hate having my picture taken below my chest line because of my protruding gut. When I went whitewater rafting with 7 friends in Colorado about 6 years ago, the river guide put me and one other lady in the front as "ballast" because we were the heaviest. Although it was a safety measure (heaviest people in front to help prevent the raft from flipping when we hit the rapids (category 3-4 rapids), the statement stuck with me in my memory of an otherwise wonderful time.

Determined to succeed in losing weight with the help of the gastric sleeve surgery and keep it off and stay fit.

Here's hoping your ins approval comes in fast. I'm on medicare and don't need prior approval. They send all the reports in with the bill, they did say they've never been denied and wouldn't say I could go if they new any different. I talked to my ins also and they said no referral is needed. So mine is set for Oct 27. I know time will fly by, it has through my 6 month weight lost appointments. .

I am super excited right now--my surgery is on for the 4th of November!! Count-down has started. I start my pre-op diet on 24 October.