Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got banded in march of 2014 and have only lost 30 lb, but I have lost a lot of inches. Its now Sept and I feel like I should have lost way more than 30lbs. I have hypothyroid and work a full time job with no time to exercise, when I get off from work I am absolutely wore out I go home and wipe out body and in mind. Honestly I don't feel that the lap band is working. I know they said It would be hard for me to loose weight because of my thyroid but this is ridiculous I have a friend who had the sleeve 2 days after me and she is a bone I know at least a size 6 me a snug 12 I'm very discouraged I need help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced

Carmen

Geez Carmen......'a lot of inches' and 5 pounds a month? BMI 28???

What are your expectations exactly?

We all get frustrated and no one can exactly tell what "they" should be exactly.

If you're in a race with your friend, I wouldn't know what to say or do about that either.

If you are headed for your own goal and still making progress, but 'too slowly'.....lots of people still find reasons to Celebrate.

Maybe others can offer some suggestions.

Cheers on your journey, and welcome to the forum!

No race here it's just she's the only person I know that has had surgery the same time as me just trying to gage what's a normal weight loss I just want it gone gone gone I hate it I hate the way I look I'm scared it want come off I know I have lost some and lost inches but do you know what I see when I look in the mirror a fat girl I have been fat for so long I can't see me as anything else I know my moral is low that's why I've joined Bariatrics pal looking for support

Everyone is different. You can't gauge your success based on what others have done. I'd give anything to have a BMI under 35!

How do you feel about your band's adjustment--do you think you have reached the green zone? What are you eating for calories, and how much Protein? Joining the local heath club did a lot for me... even if you can walk for a few miles a few times a week it may help. Hopefully your doctor provides regular follow up visits--that is very, very important for lap band patients.

Edited by labwalker

Well, you'll get lots if support here, no doubt ! I think you've done great ! 30 lbs in about 6 months is excellent ! !! My Dr. told me I d average a weight loss of 4-8 lbs a month, some time s a little more OR less, so you're averaging 5 lbs a month ! For someone who isnt exercising and has a thyroid problem, id say you're doing just fine ! The band itself IS working, I just think you have to wrap your mind around that idea and not compare yourself to anybody else progress. You'll get there, slow and healthy is better than fast and unhealthy ! Good luck !!

My first few months were very slow also, actually gained weight within that period....it took about 4 months to get the band properly adjusted..for me, and my Dr. was aggressive.......then another few months to figure it all out and find "My Groove"...

It can be very confusing, and sometimes reading these posts make it all the more confusing because so many people have so many different experiences.

I'm old school, don't try to over think it...it has always been about calories in, and calories burned...

Before banding, I ate entirely too much...enough to feed 5 people in a single day, and it showed.....the band took care of that for me,(Hunger and consumption) and I made sure to get active to burn calories (and fat) to be in a negative situation every day..burning more ( a lot more) than I consume.

I'm hypothyroid, too, Carmen. Had one side removed and two biopsies on the other side but no surgery... and thankfully no cancer.

I've lost almost 50 lbs. since February 2014 but have stayed away from breads, Pasta and potatoes. Eat mostly salads. I do walk a lot, tho... with the dogs. Almost a mile a day when I can. I think that exercise is crucial. I lose more when I do. When I don't, I don't.

Karen

Richmond, VA

carmen3529:

the fears and frustrations you mention are shared by many of us, and many of us have difficulty in accurately seeing our own bodies 'as they are'. In a complex mental/emotional relationship called "body dysmorphia" there is a hint of how we try to juggle 'what we think we see' with 'what we think we want' with 'what we think we should be'.

To me, our Weight Loss Adventure is symbolized by the great wagon train migration across the Plains circa 1849. We have all heard of the riches of the new lands to the west. We are all familiar with reasons to abandon the annoyances of our old homes in the east.

We embark upon our journey, often times ill prepared with and far too much unnecessary baggage, that is sequentially jettisoned the more rivers and mountain passes we encounter.

All we have is dedication to our vision at the end of that long trail. Along the way the dust and sweat and fears and anxieties must be overcome a step at a time. Eventually we get to our Goal. Whatever our path and whatever efforts, each day we must find the resources to invent ways to overcome what hinders us.

We must learn how to succeed and leave the fail of prior efforts behind. We must abandon the burdens of fear and anxiety that steal our strength for the next river crossing. The process becomes self reinforcing.

Cheers on your journey.

Hi Carmen. As Jack notes, there are often psychological aspects to weight loss. I've been seeing a therapist for several months now because I was losing weight, getting tons of compliments, and hated what I saw in the mirror. Or if I didn't hate it, I certainly didn't recognize it. I would look in the mirror and a stranger was looking back at me.

It's unlikely that you will wake up one day and love the reflection in the mirror. Alot of it has to do, at least with me, with the fact that I have to learn to love who I am and then will hopefully love the package I'm in.

Losing weight seems to bring up all these issues that we've often buried beneath our size for so very many years. I recognize some of your worries and that's why I've written to you. If you need to talk to a professional to help you on your journey, do so. This is about being the best you can be and that means more than the physical self. Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want to 'talk'.

Hi Carmen. As Jack notes, there are often psychological aspects to weight loss. I've been seeing a therapist for several months now because I was losing weight, getting tons of compliments, and hated what I saw in the mirror. Or if I didn't hate it, I certainly didn't recognize it. I would look in the mirror and a stranger was looking back at me.

It's unlikely that you will wake up one day and love the reflection in the mirror. Alot of it has to do, at least with me, with the fact that I have to learn to love who I am and then will hopefully love the package I'm in.

Losing weight seems to bring up all these issues that we've often buried beneath our size for so very many years. I recognize some of your worries and that's why I've written to you. If you need to talk to a professional to help you on your journey, do so. This is about being the best you can be and that means more than the physical self. Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want to 'talk'.

Well Spoken????

I gained 5 to 6 pounds a YEAR for 25 year..........140 POUNDS......

So, I am THRILLED to lose 5 to 6 pounds a MONTH.

My doctor said anywhere from 1 to 2 pounds a week is GREAT weight loss.

Hope one day, you will see your forward progress for what it is....... YOUR JOURNEY..... NO ONE ELSE's, but YOURS!

Best wishes as you continue to reclaim your health, at whatever pace it happens.

Just my opinion........ EXERCISE will help this happen faster and GIVE YOU MORE ENERGY!!!!!

I got banded in march of 2014 and have only lost 30 lb, but I have lost a lot of inches. Its now Sept and I feel like I should have lost way more than 30lbs. I have hypothyroid and work a full time job with no time to exercise, when I get off from work I am absolutely wore out I go home and wipe out body and in mind. Honestly I don't feel that the lap band is working. I know they said It would be hard for me to loose weight because of my thyroid but this is ridiculous I have a friend who had the sleeve 2 days after me and she is a bone I know at least a size 6 me a snug 12 I'm very discouraged I need help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advanced

Carmen

when i had lap band surgery in 2012, i was in size 5x clothes and a snug size 30 stretch jeans

and now i am in 12's....and let me tell you how happy i am about that number

try to look at it from a realistic stand point..having WLS is not about being skin/bones

it is about having a better quality of life..to be able to walk, wipe ones ass and enjoy being alive..just because you are losing slower than you want does not mean its working...

the only advice i can say is be thankful you are losing and seemingly at the correct

place for your body......WLS is about health.....some people seem to forget that..

and some people dont believe that losing inches means one is losing weight..i will take that over what the scale says any day.

all the best to you and wishing you a life long success to your goal.

Carolinagirl I like the way you put that you are so true

I too am hypothyroid had my left thyroid removed in 2005 and was banded in january 2014 and am down 50 pounds. I am exhausted when I get home so I try to walk 2-3 times a week at work during break. When I do I lose more. I too shy away from bread, Pasta, and rice. But I haven't given up sweets entirely. I would be happy with 30 more off. I am not looking to be a size 5 but an 8 would be great! I signed up for this ten week fitness challenge that starts in two weeks. I am excited because it will hold me accountable. Keep pushing through you will be happy when you achieve your goals!

@@carmen3529,

1. Hang in there.

2. Band is not sleeve.

3. Lower BMI patients lose slower. I started at a BMI over 50.

4. Exercise. Walk around the block. Every day. Ten minutes. It will boost your energy.

5. Track your food and talk to your surgeon.

6. If your food is honestly clean then get a band adjustment. I have had four and am just now getting to my green zone.

7. Stay in your surgeon's face and keep all your appointments.

8. You deserve success and are already a winner.

(Hugs)