Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I everyone...just got home yesterday ... Got sleeved on Wednesday ... So a couple of questions for all you veterans... I feel very tired... Normal? Also I have no appetite.... Normal ? She started me on full liquids... Did clear in the hospital and I was able to tolerate it... So if I gave a couple of sips of Soup or Jello is that normal ? Or should I be eating all the soup... Also my Protein Shakes? Drink a whole one? If I get discomfort is that a signal to stop? I gave this info in my book... But I feel like the people that are actually experiencing this are better equipped to give advice. Thanks so much.

It took me a couple of weeks to get past being tired all the time. I have seen other comments saying the same thing & I believe it's very common. I also was put on full liquids when I came home from the hospital & I wasn't very hungry either. Now I can eat pretty much anything I want (but I don't) & I get a very uncomfortable feeling when I get full. In my case the feeling is across the top of my stomach & I have learned not to ignore this feeling. If I eat to much I feel like crap for an hour or two. Good luck with your journey & welcome to the group.

Hi I everyone...just got home yesterday ... Got sleeved on Wednesday ... So a couple of questions for all you veterans... I feel very tired... Normal? Also I have no appetite.... Normal ? She started me on full liquids... Did clear in the hospital and I was able to tolerate it... So if I gave a couple of sips of Soup or Jello is that normal ? Or should I be eating all the soup... Also my Protein Shakes? Drink a whole one? If I get discomfort is that a signal to stop? I gave this info in my book... But I feel like the people that are actually experiencing this are better equipped to give advice. Thanks so much.

First, congratulations on such a huge step. You are in your way to better health.

In terms of what is normal, everyone differs but here's my experience.

I was dog tired the first 2 weeks (sleeved 7/14/14) and didn't get energy until week 3. Part if it was due to caffeine withdraw. I used to down coffee in the am and Dt. Pepsis all darn day. Add to the fact that I just had major surgery--sleeve and hernia repair at once--and I was straining just to stand for 1 minute! I am back to drinking coffee but it is a mixture of 80% Decaf and 20% dark roast caffeinated. I have banned Dt. Pepsi and soda as well as any other drink with caffeine.

Also, your calorie intake is very low due to restrictions in diet so its only natural to be tired. Follow the eating plan they gave you but I say stop when you feel satisfied. I made the mistake of going a little overboard and regretted it the rest of the night. I threw up and had a serious stomachache. Be sure to stay hydrated because you won't find yourself wanting to eat but definitely be mindful about when you feel satisfied.

I am 1.5 mos out and still can't finish an entire shake. I can get down about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of soft foods in a meal then I have to stop. Soup of about a cup.

Good luck to you! I am sure you'll do well. Remember: Protein, Vitamins (if prescribed), Water, water, water, and get up and move even if its only 5 minutes at a time. It gets easier. I still get tired by about 3 pm but I try to power through. Going to start incorporating light strength training into my regiment. That will help with energy.

First, congratulations on such a huge step. You are in your way to better health.

In terms of what is normal, everyone differs but here's my experience.

I was dog tired the first 2 weeks (sleeved 7/14/14) and didn't get energy until week 3. Part if it was due to caffeine withdraw. I used to down coffee in the am and Dt. Pepsis all darn day. Add to the fact that I just had major surgery--sleeve and hernia repair at once--and I was straining just to stand for 1 minute! I am back to drinking coffee but it is a mixture of 80% Decaf and 20% dark roast caffeinated. I have banned Dt. Pepsi and soda as well as any other drink with caffeine.

Also, your calorie intake is very low due to restrictions in diet so its only natural to be tired. Follow the eating plan they gave you but I say stop when you feel satisfied. I made the mistake of going a little overboard and regretted it the rest of the night. I threw up and had a serious stomachache. Be sure to stay hydrated because you won't find yourself wanting to eat but definitely be mindful about when you feel satisfied.

I am 1.5 mos out and still can't finish an entire shake. I can get down about 1/2 to 3/4 cups of soft foods in a meal then I have to stop. Soup of about a cup.

Good luck to you! I am sure you'll do well. Remember: Protein, Vitamins (if prescribed), Water, water, water, and get up and move even if its only 5 minutes at a time. It gets easier. I still get tired by about 3 pm but I try to power through. Going to start incorporating light strength training into my regiment. That will help with energy.[/quoteThank you so much... Glad to know some of this is normal ... I too had a repair of a hernia ...I am do happy to know that I can just have little bits... Again I don't have an appetite but I know I have to stay hydrated and take my vitamins. Thanks again for responding !

Congrats! U have just went thru major surgery. Everyone's body reacts different. Dont think your going back to everyday routine bc it's not going to happen. Your bodys energy is going to healing. Drink as much as u can..if it's sips every 15 minute that's it..an it's normal. It takes a week to several wks for tummy swelling to go down. Dont rush the diet. Shoot for ur 64 oz Water or liquid requirements so u stay hydrated. Drink as much Protein as possible my min required is 60 grms daily. I went thru several different brands of unflavored protein. .I would add a teaspoon to hot tea,coffee,pudding Soups u name it I added it. I wanted to make sure I got my protein in. My surgeon told me my liquid of anything went towards my Fluid count. Which made it easier to get in. Yes sipping all day is a job. But I just keep it by me an grab it all the time. I'm 7 wks out an energy still an issue but for me I struggle with many diseases an so it's the norm with me. I'll fight with it for life. Take ur Vitamins it's crucial. Do wat u can. Trust an comply fully with ur surgeon protocol. It works. An be careful don't get irritated over numbers on scales. It will play mind games. Wish u the best.an this forum is awesome a lot of great advice. Hang in there an just get thru one day at a time. Call ur Dr when u feel u need to..:)

alyce,

Right now you need to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Sip, Sip, Sip :)

MY body had PLENTY of reserves of fat to live off of after surgery. Once your swelling goes down it will be easier to get the Protein in. Listen to your body and rest when you need to rest. I had a surge of energy about a week and a half out and then BAM I was dog tired and it took me a couple of weeks to get my energy back. Delayed reaction? Everyone is different. The caffeine withdrawal could be a HUGE factor in your lack of energy. I'm so glad I got off the caffeine weeks before surgery. Hang in there.

Kathleen

<p><span><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' class="" href='http://www.bariatricpal.com/user/228506-alyce/' title=""><span>alyce</span></a>,</span></p> <p><span>Right now you need to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Sip, Sip, Sip :)<span> </span></span></p> <p> </p> <p><span><span>MY body had PLENTY of reserves of fat to live off of after surgery. Once your swelling goes down it will be easier to get the Protein in. Listen to your body and rest when you need to rest. I had a surge of energy about a week and a half out and then BAM I was dog tired and it took me a couple of weeks to get my energy back. Delayed reaction? Everyone is different. The caffeine withdrawal could be a HUGE factor in your lack of energy. I'm so glad I got off the caffeine weeks before surgery. Hang in there. </span></span></p> <p> </p> <p><span><span>Kathleen</span></span></p>

thanks Kathleen

I was released this morning also. I had surgery on Wednesday. I'm at home doing ok. I'm trying to stay ahead of the pain but the oxy makes me feel really sleepy. I'm concerned about getting all my fluids in because I keep dozing off. I was released with a clear diet restriction until tomorrow.

I just got home as well. I was sleeved yesterday. I'm having horrible incision pain. I'm doing real well on liquids. I just can't believe how much pain there is getting around. It makes me realize how false the movies are when some one gets stabbed in the abdomen and they keep fighting. Inigo Montoya would not have been able to kill Count Rugan.

I also was sleeved on Wednesday ... Everytime I drink I can feel it and gas starts...it is scaring me like I'm never going to eat again...is it always going to hurt going down. And then I start burping...I am having water....jello and Popsicles... I throw it away about half way through. Please tell this will pass.

I was sleeved aug. 20th, and i wont lie, the first two days sucked! I had trouble getting Water down and it was very painful, on day 3 it loosened up and i was able to take a normal size drink, i dont have any pain now, bit my incisions are itching like crazy... I too get pretty pooped by 3 pm. Congrats on your decision, it is a mental game for me, but i try to keep my eye on the prize, i am down 16 lbs since surgery... I think about that when i feel a little hungry, but thank goodness it passes quickly :)

I also was sleeved on Wednesday ... Everytime I drink I can feel it and gas starts...it is scaring me like I'm never going to eat again...is it always going to hurt going down. And then I start burping...I am having water....jello and Popsicles... I throw it away about half way through. Please tell this will pass.

It gets better! Remember everything is swollen. .my first few wks were ruff. .I didn't think the first wk would pass quick enuff. .but after the 7th day I felt so much different! I had hernia repair so the esophagus spasms OMG I thought I was doomed! But hang in there. I played a heating pad on my chest an took my pain killers as needed. I ate a few bites of this n that n thru rest out. Sip as much as possible. U don't want to get dehydrated. You'll b fine. ..the inside needs time to heal. I'm 7 wks out an over 50 pds down..I still stand by my desicion. ..hang in there..:)

Home today at noon.

The pain med in the hospitol are way better!

I'm have quite a bit of incision pain, and burping when I drink anything

Chris... That is me also... Was sleeved on Wednesday the 27 of august .. So Saturday which is today however it's 1:30 in the morning...I burp when I drink... Hope this will pass.

It will get better!!! Everything your experiencing is very common. I was so tired for the first couple of weeks, I slept a lot! The pain when drinking I experienced for about the first week. Hydrating is super important but don't freak out cause your not drinking 64oz of Water, you won't be able to do that for a while. The burping is a pain in the butt and will continue for a while. I am 5wks out and still burp just not as much. I didn't really start to get my appetite back til week 3. Make sure you don't try to eat anything solid for now, Soups only, and you will feel full very quickly. That is normal, stop eating or you can get sick. Water, Protein Shakes, and Vitamins are a must!!!

That is all that matters right now. I wish you the best in your recovery, and just remember it does get easier. The first month is the hardest.