Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shot and Pre-mixed shakes.

Today I was in Walmart and ran across the "New Whey" Protein Shots with 42grams of Protein in them (My NUT had recommended them) at $2.40 a piece it didn't seem like a bad option so I picked up Acai berry and Watermelon, Both flavors were a little over powering but not nearly as bad as I thought they were going to be. I took the watermelon one and put it in the freezer for a while and took the shot and cut it with Water then blended some ice making like a slushie with it. Not Bad!..

I also picked up some Muscle Milk which is 20grams protein per container, These are a great option considering you can find them everywhere now even convenience stores!. I chose the chocolate one which wasn't bad but a little sweeter then I was expecting, I could see cutting this with Almond milk or Skim milk to dilute the sweetness.

Over all I thought both were great options for after surgery if I can stomach them.

I was told that those New Whey product isn't enough Protein because it's collagen based and really doesn't end up being enough protein at all. I'm still looking for other options myself for post op.

Please let me know of any protien items for before and after that you find that are tolerable, I'm in the picky or sensitive taste bud category..

I'm looking into it and asking in support group next week. I'm getting my shakes.. Different varieties tomorrow to try. I'm told (unjury) is easy to tolerate so I'm ordering some to try. I'll post when I hear more. I did look at Walmart and found pouches of "whey isolate Protein gel" it didn't say collagen based so I'm asking about those next week. Found a fruit punch powder online but can't find the name right now:( reviews said mixed with crystal light was great. I can do rasberry crystal light.

@happymama2014 I tried a few of the Unjury products and liked the taste better then the Muscle Milk, but I like the MM because it's convenient and can be found almost anywhere. I'll probably end up ordering more Unjury sometime soon though.

As far as the shots, I was told by my NUT that they were fine in the early stages when your trying to get as much Protein in as possible other then that I don't really know too much more about them and will ask for more information in my pre-op class on the 12th. "Syntrax Nectar" has a fruit punch powder that I've heard is pretty good, I might pick that up offline as well.

My NUT and Surgen both recommended the New whey Shots. And as far as I am concerned. Ill take 3.8 ounces over 16-20 ounces any day.

I was told to do New Whey for the 2-3 days post op that i was Clear liquids only. i did use them but didn't really care for the taste. i cut them with Water and a TON of ice to get them down.

the Muscle Milk 100 pre-mixed are the only Protein shakes i have been able to have since surgery. i loved them pre op and still do post op. i mix them with skim milk and ice for a little more Protein and a little more liquids...

Syntrax nectar comes in a LOT of flavors. you can order sampler packs for under $20 and you will get a variety of their flavors to try. i used them pre-op as i was told to start getting my protein habits in, but post op i don't care for them anymore. the fuzzy navel, fruit punch and Roadside Lemonade were my favorites. the only issue i had with nectar was mixing it thoroughly. it seemed however i mixed it, there were still little lumps of whey floating in my drink and not at all appealing.

good luck!

Really helpful thread. Thanks, all.

Where did u get the sampler pack of syntax nectar. I tried looking for them on line and didn't find them except for full sized pkgs. would like to try samples of diff flavors.

Where did u get the sampler pack of syntax nectar. I tried looking for them on line and didn't find them except for full sized pkgs. would like to try samples of diff flavors.

Bariatric choice- online

My nut recommended unflavored injury Protein post op. Said taste buds change and usually don't like flavored protein. Can add to anything and make own Protein Shakes with sugar free flavoring like Hershey's Syrup sugar free and coffee mate and tortellini coffee flavoring. Also said crystal light. I'm not sleeved yet though so just going by preop class.

Thank you for all the information!

I just ordered the sample of Syntrax nectar package on: mybariatricpantry.com

Edited by Cody's mom

@sbeltermann I would get some unflavored Protein and test that theory first before committing to it..

I tried the unflavored Unjury and not only does it not mix very well (Clumps up a lot) but it gave my drinks a weird taste even though it's "Unflavored". I guess it wouldn't be so bad in thing's like pudding or homemade protein pops.