Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have searched and saw old post. Just wanted a more updated response. What's anyone been experiencing bad periods since having surgery. I was sleeved on July 1st. Since then I have had a full week and then spotting, I just started with an extremely heavy flow ( sorry if TMI ) I did read that hormones are stored in the fat and can caused abnormal periods. Just wondered if anyone else is having the same experience. Thanks

I've only had two since surgery -- the second one was horrible -- so much bleeding at first and then it seemed to last forever. I'm guessing it's just what you thought -- the hormones stored in fat knocking things out of whack. But it wasn't anything I felt I needed to go to the doctor for. At my age (48) and not planning any more babies, I wish he could have just taken all that out while he was in there doing surgery. I am SO over having periods! lol

i had my period the day of surgery (6/25) and i just completed my july cycle this past monday. it was normal, however, and i hope it stays that way! good luck!

Thank you for the responses.

When I had surgery my period started and never ended till three months later. After numerous tests and ultra sounds and a different doctor. I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) Usually being heavy hides PCOS for certain individuals, I would bring it up with your OB to see what he or she says. Its never fun to have irregular periods. Hope all the best for you!

I had my period day of surgery and it was over that day. Since then, I've just had spotty periods, but I'm on BC, so I assume that has a lot to do with their regularity.

Thank all for the responses. It is appreciated.

Both of mine since surgery have been heavier than normal for me. I am not on BC but they have at least been regular so that's nice. didn't seem to last longer than normal, just heavier than normal. I am 3 months out so maybe it will change after awhile?

I did some research and expected some spotting post op, which i had on post op day 3 and 4. Then about 16 days later i SWORE i ovulated and then a couple weeks after that i had a spontaneous period. the first in over 20 years. i know i had to have ovulated when i thought i did- also the first time without fertility drugs- probably since high school!

estrogen is stored in fat so melting off pounds may help to induce normal ovulation and menstruation. I called my OB and got back on birth control pills. I have PCOS and although this first 'natural' cycle is good, it will take many more pounds to shed before my PCOS is affected.

tmi- it was a VERY heavy cycle (having been off the pill for 6 wks prior to surgery) and lasted for many days.

I was wondering the same thing. I am on birth control and i am usually a 3 day cycle and it was 2 days longer this month plus some spotting for a day. Its been my first period since my surgery. Although it was longer, it was on time. But yes....definitely more of than usual.

I just posted this yesterday regarding similar issue:

Sorry if this is TMI, but I'm sharing incase someone else is going through the same thing. I had my surgery 11/26/13 and got my period 11/30. It was heavier and longer than usual. I talked to my bariatric nurse and Dr., they both said the same thing, it's normal. Well fast forward 8 months, I continued to bleed off and on. We tried switching my birth control 4 different times.They assured me that it was normal because of the rapid weight loss. I called my ob/gynecology just to get her input cuz, I was so tired of it. She wanted to do an internal ultrasound just to check things out. Turns out that due to my hormone levels changing so much with the weight loss, it spiked my estrogen causing 2 grape size polyp's on my cervix. Finally after 8 months of bleeding I had an answer that had I solution! She said that she has seen this in a lot of her WLS patients. I will have them removed on the 8/4 and should finally have a normal period again!

I'm exactly one month post-op. Had my period the day of surgery (6/30) and have it now. Today I had the worst cramps I can ever remember having, to the point that I almost vomited and thought I was going to pass out. Tylenol did NOTHING. Anyone else ever experience this?

Thank you all for the responses.. Newjulie yes very much so. That is why I posted to see if anyone else was going through the same thing. I researched so much before the surgery but never thought about researching about female cycles. Tylenol did not much either. I am so used to Motrin, that I know I will have some adjusting to the Tylenol.

Edited by Ree224

so glad i searched for this on here since surgery 4/2/14 i have had the worst experience with periods before surgery they were so abnormal id get them for 5months straight go 2 years without 1 and now there regulated (somewhat) but ive never in my life experienced these types of cramps they are so painful!!!!.... needless to say the spawn of saitian greeted me this morning :( and i have set up an OB appointment just to make sure its nothing more serious thnak you ladies for the responses helped me a ton

• I.ve haven't had a cycle in several years, my OB said because of me being on BC pills. However, I'v had the same experince as Katie74. I have had two ultra sounds and discovered polyp's on my cervix. I have a biospy scheduled for next week.