Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you keep your surgery a secret?

I've not been very secretive about my surgery. I've told everyone that I'm having it, when and why. I work in plus size fashion and so I'm in an environment where over weight women are the majority. When I lose the weight, I hope I might be able to motivate and inspire people and I feel I can't really be that to them if they don't know the full story.

Did you keep your surgery secret? Why or why not? I'd love to hear from you all :)

I kept my choice private for a number of reasons: 1) I found that people felt free to openly express disapproval whereas if someone said they were having a different type of surgery, like heart bypass surgery, no one would openly judge or discourage 2) my body, my business. I wouldn't tell everyone about upcoming hemorrhoid surgery if I were having that either 3) I want to live my life without food police or watchful "is that all you're going to eat?" eyes.

HI

I HAD LAP BAND SURGERY IN JULY 2010 I DID NOT TELL ANYONE. MY FAMILY NEVER HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOVE WLS . MY AUNT HAD GASTRIC BYPASS IN THE 80'S LOSS A LOT OF WEIGHT (400-171), BUT SHE AGED AFTER SHE LOST WEIGHT EVEN HER KIDS SAID SHE LOST TO MUCH WEIGHT(REALY) THEY DID NOT TALK ABOUT HER BEING ABLE TO WALK UP THE STEPS OR HAVE A GREAT BLOOD PRESSURE ETC.....YOU WOULD THINK I COULD TELL MY AUNT,BUT SHE TALKS ABOUT MY COUSIN WHO HAD RNY, BUT HER WEIGHT LOSS WAS NOT AS MUCH AS HERS (319-250) ANYWAY I NOW HAVE A INFECTION IN THE LAP BAND PORT AREA AND IT HAS NOT HEALED SO I WILL BE HAVING A REVISON TOTHE SLEEVE IN A FEW WEEKS

I didn't keep it a secret, but now I wishing I would have kept it to myself. As ERP said once people know especially family they have no qualms about telling you how they feel. My friends are very supportive because they know of the health issues.

SD Kelly I am with you my immediate family knows but not the rest of the nuts lol my close friends know and they are a great support. When did you have your surgery??

@@lovingdavid I am scheduled to have surgery tomorrow. Have to be at the hospital @ 5:30am. So many emotions

SD Kelly I am with you my immediate family knows but not the rest of the nuts lol my close friends know and they are a great support. When did you have your surgery??

The craziest thing is my friends are more supportive than my family.

@@lovingdavid I am scheduled to have surgery tomorrow. Have to be at the hospital @ 5:30am. So many emotions

Yes, pretty much. Only my husband, adolescent daughter (sworn to secrecy), and fairly new friends (married, 1 had rny years ago, the other in 2 weeks, very supportive). No other family or even my best friend (this one feels weird, though).

I contemplated not telling my daughter, then I found out I had a hospital stay and realized the change in my eating habits pre and post would be too drastic to explain away.

Maybe I will feel different later, but I didn't want to hear anyone's opinion or any of the other inappropriate crap offered, when it is no one else's business.

Everyone knows here. I told everyone. And so far most have been great. The negative bellies were asked to zip it.

It is very emotional. It will all be fine. Good luck tomorrow, SD! Let us know how you are doing once you get a chance.

SD Kelly you will be fine and it's normal. You need to rest and relax because you have a big day tomorrow. Will keep you in prayer. Best of Luck and of course when you feel good post an update.. And yes friends are so much supportive that is the reason I didn't tell my other family which the good thing we live in different states so don't see them much ;)

Some I told some I didn't. My friends said I was lazy n should learn to eat better. N exercise. I tried to explain my other health issues but they didn't seem to believe me. I was heartbroken. Now im saying nothing. Tomorrow is my surgery n I'm scared. I guess you need to do what you are comfortable with.

Wishing you the best during surgery. The good thing you have us to stay focus and share your journey. Sorry that your friends had to be so rude and negative. Yes, just keep it to yourself and those that support you. We are all here for the same reason ;) hugs and please give an update

I've not been shouting it from the rooftops, but I'm not going to keep it a secret because I guarantee you if you lose a bunch of weight people are going to say you've had surgery anyway. Also, not that it's anyone's business, but if I did keep it a secret and someone asked me how I did it I'd feel like a fraud and a liar if I pretended I didn't have surgical help. Everyone has to make up their own mind on what to do, though.

Thanks guys! I just saw my surgeon to set my date. Having the sleeve, hiatus hernia repair and gall bladder removal on 15th September! About 30% excited and 70% crapping my pants!!! But this is actually happening now!

Good luck SD! Hoping all goes well for you and look forward to seeing an update soon!