Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there, I am 9 weeks and 1 day post op. Down 51lbs, halfway to goal and struggling. Nothing tastes good or even sounds good. I remember when I was fat thinking I wished food would taste like crap so I wouldn't want it. Now I just wish something tasted good! I will often just not eat cause it isn't worth struggling to find something I can stomach. I can't even get any flavor with what I drink. I am missing diet Mountain Dew so bad. I was never a coffee drinker and that was my morning kick. I would only have 1 a day. I know they say no carbonation again EVER... Really?!? Is anyone drinking soda in moderation? Anyone having the same struggles as me?

Mountain Dew is also full of calories. I do know other sthat can down a 6 pack of beer, having no problems with carbonation. If you need a kick in the morning try coffe or tea.

Wow you sound exactly like me! Sorry but it actually feels so much better knowing I'm not the only one with with these feelings!

Diet Mountain Dew has no calories and that is what I drank... And I don't like coffee

I'm still pre-op but I'll tell you what pre-op classes taught me. We were told no carbonation EVER because it can expand your pouch/sleeve/whatever and cause damage. Check with your nut to see if maybe you could drink flat pop. Ewww flat pop just sounds nasty.....lol.

Funny, I was driving home thinking Sprite Zero !!

I was sleeved 4/3, down 75 lbs. and really would like a soda !!!

Flat soda... Ugh! I'm not sure I could stomach that either. It's not even like I want it all the time. It would just be nice to have one every once in awhile. Just when I can't find that something that is satisfying. I don't regret my surgery. The weight loss has been incredible! In 9 weeks I've gone from a size 20 easy to a comfortable 16 and into some 14's. I know over time my body will adjust to the sleeve and it won't feel so weird every time I put something in my mouth. I just never realized that it is almost impossible to find a restaurant that doesn't serve something that comes on bread!!! Lol.

I'd totally be ok with Sprite Zero!!! :)

Edited by babish

Although, I have not had surgery yet, I have read that your tastes change afterwards. You mentioned that you don't like coffee...have you tried it since surgery? Maybe you would like it now. Only a suggestion if you haven't already tried it.

I haven't had soda in years and don't miss it at all...I don't even think of it. There are ample drinks that aren't carbonated, and once you get past the desire it's totally worth it. I think the diet sodas and such made weight loss harder, in hindsight.

Edited by Pookeyism

Here's the thing, studies show drinking carbonation post of is correlates with weight gain and/or failure to lose. That is, they have shown people who drink soda aren't as successful statistically. Is it because it stretches the sleeve? Is it because people who will break that "rule" break others as well? Who knows. Do you want to risk it? Also many many people have a lot of pain with the gas it introduces. Again, do you want to risk it?

My doctor allows for flat soda. I haven't had any or any carbonation since about a month before my sleeve in December. I used to do 5 or so diet coke or Pepsi a day. Now I can take or leave it and with the risks I chose to leave it. Will I ever try it again? Maybe, I don't know. But for now I stay away. With so so many chemicals in it it's better I never go back to my five a day so I don't open the door.

Bright spot is I got my kids to give it up too!

I drink diet 7up I stir out the bubbles I find it very refreshing

Ice cold crystal light. Love it.

Restaraunts will hold the bread if you ask them and serve something on lettuce or "naked". That's what I ordered today for lunch at a diner

They had tuna special. Tuna on white or rye and a cup of Soup. Got Soup to go, tuna on lettuce.

Managed about 3 ounces of tuna

Ate quarter the pickle and a bite coleslaw

Soup for dinner. Yum

If it's the caffeine you think you need there are caffeine pills available. If it's the Diet Mtn Dew that you really crave then it's just head hunger. I weaned myself off caffeine about two months before surgery and have never looked back. I do like coffee (and tea), I just do Decaf now.

Go ahead and take a couple swigs of Mtn Dew. The pain from the carbonation will probably stop your craving for it. That's what I did with beer, which I drank a lot of before surgery! Or you might not feel a thing, and you can go ahead and start drinking it again. You are a grown up and you can make your own choices, good or bad...whatever makes you happy. I'm not saying this to be a smartass, it's just that sometimes you gotta touch the stove and find out for yourself whether or not it burns.

Hi there, I am 9 weeks and 1 day post op. Down 51lbs, halfway to goal and struggling. Nothing tastes good or even sounds good. I remember when I was fat thinking I wished food would taste like crap so I wouldn't want it. Now I just wish something tasted good! I will often just not eat cause it isn't worth struggling to find something I can stomach. I can't even get any flavor with what I drink. I am missing diet Mountain Dew so bad. I was never a coffee drinker and that was my morning kick. I would only have 1 a day. I know they say no carbonation again EVER... Really?!? Is anyone drinking soda in moderation? Anyone having the same struggles as me?

It can stretch your pouch & push food thru it can also cause worse gas & bloating its so not worth it. If you have to have caffeine there are some Protein Shakes with it in it Click, but whatever you do don't go back to soda it's not ok it's bad. Plus at 9 weeks you might just be ok with your surgeon for coffee depending our center that's pushing it.