Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I had my surgery April 2nd, 2014. So I'm about 3 months d 3 weeks out. I've been trying to adhere to my guidelines but get worried that I'm messing up often as I'm struggling with my addiction to food. I find that I've started getting hungry in the last month which is really frustrating because in the beginning I wasn't hungry and I could tell when I was having head hunger. Now it's hard to differentiate. When I eat I can comfortably eat about 5 oz or maybe slightly more. Is this too much at my stage? Have I stretched my pouch out? I try to just measure out 4 oz for each meal to be safe, though sometimes I still feel slightly hungry. I rarely get a full pouch feeling which I used to get often in the beginning month or so. So I'm worried my pouch might be stretched. My doctor said this wouldn't be an issue at my stage, but I worry since 5 oz seems like too much. Thanks!

Hello everyone! I had my surgery April 2nd, 2014. So I'm about 3 months d 3 weeks out. I've been trying to adhere to my guidelines but get worried that I'm messing up often as I'm struggling with my addiction to food. I find that I've started getting hungry in the last month which is really frustrating because in the beginning I wasn't hungry and I could tell when I was having head hunger. Now it's hard to differentiate. When I eat I can comfortably eat about 5 oz or maybe slightly more. Is this too much at my stage? Have I stretched my pouch out? I try to just measure out 4 oz for each meal to be safe, though sometimes I still feel slightly hungry. I rarely get a full pouch feeling which I used to get often in the beginning month or so. So I'm worried my pouch might be stretched. My doctor said this wouldn't be an issue at my stage, but I worry since 5 oz seems like too much. Thanks!

I am also going through the same things as you are. I had my surgery on March 31 and I have also started to get my appetite back. But I think the issue with me is that a lot of my foods are slider foods (cottage cheese, Soup, Protein shakes) and I need to eat more denser meals but even then I tend to eat more frequently now than vs right after my surgery. And yes I tend to eat about 5 oz at times. But then again I take more than 30 mins to eat my meals. What I have found is that we have to finish your meals within 30 mins and eat denser meals that are super high in Proteins. I highly doubt that we have stretched out the pouch. And in my case I have started to work out and I think that might be a reason for my appetite to go up. Hope this helps and I am hoping others can also advise us.

One more thing...how many calories are you consuming daily and how many Proteins do you get in your intake daily? I keep a track of all my foods and I get in about 60-80grams a day and I stay on an 800-900 calories a day. My nut said to focus on the proteins and the rest will work out on its own.

I feel the same way. By the way, someone mentioned that we have to eat our meals in 30 minutes--why is that? I hadn't heard that. I take longer sometimes because I thought that was better to eat slower. Is it because food starts to move through the system and empty out the pouch by then?

I feel the same way. By the way, someone mentioned that we have to eat our meals in 30 minutes--why is that? I hadn't heard that. I take longer sometimes because I thought that was better to eat slower. Is it because food starts to move through the system and empty out the pouch by then?

I also take a long time to eat and then end up eating more than I should or I get hungry quicker. So I did some research and found some info online that if you take a long time to eat, the food starts to move through the system and empty out the pouch by then and you are hungry again. But make sure all your meals are dense and high in Protein. But I still think that our pouches give us a signal that we are full and we need to stop. Early on in the process it would hurt if we ate too much and I still feel the pain but now the pain has subsided.

Btw are you girls on MFP? If so add me

St1614@nyu.edu

Love to connect

I totally agree with RNBSN - I was recently at a wedding and although I ate the correct kinds of food, I realized I had eaten way more than usual because it was served slowly in little courses. Taking over an hour to eat let me eat fruit and cheese, then Soup, then salad, then chicken and veggies and I even had room for a bite of my husband's slice of cake!

I normally eat 1 cup of food around 5 or 6 times a day (3 meals and 2-3 snacks) - I weigh my Protein (3oz) but use volume for everything else. So I guess I'm eating 8oz at a time which is what my doc suggested at 4 months out. I take 15-20 minutes to eat. He said my pouch will stretch out to around 1½ cups later. I also use MFP and consume 60-80g Protein and around 800 calories per day.

Hmmm. What is "dense"? (other than me! lol).

My lunch almost always consists of a couple ounces of chicken and then an array of fresh veggies (red onion, cukes, cherry tomatoes, red and green peppers, a bit of feta cheese all covered with balsamic vinegar). But that doesn't sound dense to me. Hmmm. I think I'm doing this wrong. I am really struggling on what/how to eat. I'm 6 months out and am at a stall again. I am just starting to do my food log again after a few months of not doing it. It can make a difference. I realize I stopped getting enough Protein in.

S

Hmmm. What is "dense"? (other than me! lol). My lunch almost always consists of a couple ounces of chicken and then an array of fresh veggies (red onion, cukes, cherry tomatoes, red and green peppers, a bit of feta cheese all covered with balsamic vinegar). But that doesn't sound dense to me. Hmmm. I think I'm doing this wrong. I am really struggling on what/how to eat. I'm 6 months out and am at a stall again. I am just starting to do my food log again after a few months of not doing it. It can make a difference. I realize I stopped getting enough Protein in. S

So dense would be mainly all Proteins like some sort of meat and Beans or salmon kebabs or chicken kebabs. Or a hamburger with a slice of cheese or baked fish. Shrimp with cocktail sauce, sashimi with no rice, Deli meat with cheese or meatballs with sauce and cheese. I personally don't eat much of salad or any starches (potato, Pasta bread). I eat crackers sometimes with my chili. But that's rare. This might sound crazy but I love Protein Shakes and I have at least one a day or 2 a day. And I am still at stall for the past 2-3 weeks and I am 4 months out.

Sorry I kenaf hamburger with cheese and no bread. I also take mozzarella cheese with cherry tomatoes to work for lunch.

So I"m doing a disservice to myself for having veggies? crap! OK, I can modify that. In fact, I wish I would have known before because my work cafeteria had turkey meatloaf the other day and I should have had that instead.

What are people's thoughts on fruit? Specifically for a snack or dessert? I think I'm going to hear a no but I have been. Sometimes for Breakfast with an egg. No wonder I'm on a stall!!!

So I"m doing a disservice to myself for having veggies? crap! OK, I can modify that. In fact, I wish I would have known before because my work cafeteria had turkey meatloaf the other day and I should have had that instead. What are people's thoughts on fruit? Specifically for a snack or dessert? I think I'm going to hear a no but I have been. Sometimes for Breakfast with an egg. No wonder I'm on a stall!!!

I think it's ok to have fruits and veggies in moderation. I just prefer having more Proteins but for fruits I add half a banana in my shake and I have been having blueberries and cherries cause they are in season. Sweet tooth comes and goes but usually the Protein Shake takes care of that need. Last night I bought this quinoa blueberry pudding with coconut milk and I have tried their banana one with chia seeds and coconut milk pudding and it's delicious and low in sugar and high in Protein. The brand is called comfy house foods. Oh I also have skinny cow or weight watchers ice cream time to time. I have it as a treat 2-3 times a week. But all in moderation. Also I don't dump. I did early on but not anymore but then again I don't eat much sweets to begin with. But def eat eggs and meatloaf. I also add benefiber to my shakes or yogurt to get Fiber cause I am not having much of fruits and veggies

Thank you. That was actually the most helpful info I've received yet! I guess I am eating too much then. Need to go back to just basics.

For breakfast every morning I have a green smoothie. I put banana, strawberries, spinach, Water, and Chia seeds. Sometimes I also add almonds. It gives me some much needed fiber and some liquids as well, and I have plenty of opportunity to get all my Protein in during the rest of the day. You could also add in some Protein powder.

I researched which fruits and veggies have the most fiber. With this shake I get about 17g fiber and less than 150 calories (without the almonds).

Edited by pookybear

I found a good article/blog about this with a table of the energy density of various foods at:

http://oliakcenter.com/blog/what-to-eat-after-weight-loss-surgery/

The ideal food choices after weight loss surgery are foods that are mechanically filling (solid high Protein foods like chicken, fish, beef), and foods that have a low energy density (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy).

Good luck! Eat more chicken and less veggies for lunch to feel full - and don't forget to drink your Water before and after :)