Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been a bad CPAP wearer

OK, so after my surgery I was really good with wearing my CPAP for the first 3 months. Then I got a cold and stopped wearing it for a week, then I got a delivery of new tubing and a new mask and I couldn't get it adjusted right. I fell off the wagon and completely stopped wearing it. So yeah, 3 months of wearing it and 7 months of not. Now mind you, I don't really think I had bad apnea to begin with--My setting was only a 6 when I weighed 300+, and now at 220 I sleep just fine without it. The sleep doc wanted to see me next month, and now I feel awful that I haven't worn it. So I tried again last night but it was not very comfortable. I think it's just too much air or something. I end up ripping it off half way through the night.

I don't want to wear it, but I want to be cleared for the apnea so it's not on my medical record. So, I can either suffer through wearing it for a couple months to please the sleep doc and prove I don't need it, or just fess up and face the music. What would you recommend I do??

My sleep apnea went away 6 months after WLS ( yay !) So I understand the problems with the mask, etc. But if I were you, I would def let the sleep Dr. know that you're not wearing it and why. He/she is'nt going to yell at you, but they need to know the details. Remember, one of the issues with people who have sleep apnea is a high risk of stroke. The more they know, the more they can help you, so put on your big girl panties and deal ! Good luck ! PS - great job on your weight loss !!!!!

sleep apnea can lead to weight lgain. And there are other serious medical issues.

I use my bi-pap and never go even one night without it. I have severe SA, so it isn't optional for me. I'm to the point where I wouldn't feel comfortable without the Bi-PAP.

Your pressure was on the low side. It is possible that your SA has become mild enough and you may not need to use the cpap... but that is up to your doctor. I'd guess he would order a new sleep study to see if you can either do with a less pressure, or maybe even get off the machine. Don't be afraid to see the doctor.

My worry is that I will be labeled noncompliant by the insurance and not get a new sleep study. But you're all right. I need to go see him. I am going to give it another week with the cpap (so he has at least some data) and go see him.

You definitely need to see your doctor and more than likely have another study done if your pressures feel too high. Is it a comfort issue with your mask or the pressures? My son has central apnea from brain cancer. Does the same thing to your body just from a different cause. His pressures are 20/7 which are extremely high. But after spending 2 months trying to get him comfortable with it (he's only 7) the doctor finally found a mask that makes his pressures tolerable. I swear we went through 6 different masks. We found one that is comfortable, doesn't leave blisters and he can sleep on his side. Have you tried the nasal only masks. They let my son try them but since he's a kid he was allowing too much air to escape out of his mouth. But again his pressures are high. It was comfortable and allowed him to sleep on his side though!

Thank you for all the input, everyone! You are right, I have to go see him.

Yes @@Jenn Cooper, I have a nasal only mask. Thank you for the info.

I hope you will be free of the machine. My pressure runs between 20 and 18 on the BiPAP. My doctors doubt that weight loss will ever full alleviate the need for some sort treatment. I really hope that you will end up being free of the CPAP thanks to your weight loss.