Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm reading these replies and other multiple threads with similar themes and I'm experiencing such mixed emotions. I was banded in Sept of '10. Had back and left shoulder gas pains from day one with them coming & going commonly over the past 3+ years. After my second fill I started having more and more problems. After every attempt of a fill I would swell within couple hours and not be able to get liquids down, and end up right back in the office for a deflate. This repeated for a year. During this time I was never able to eat fruit, fresh or cooked vegetables, chicken breasts, or any healthy lean meat without all of those things instantly getting stuck. The only way I could eat those things is if they were covered in a sauce of some type. And yes, I shared this with my doctor. I was told that “in rare cases….some peoples bodies are just more sensitive to having the band and it can be tricky”.

After a year of this, I started randomly swelling which would result in no liquids going down and me vomiting the saliva my body would produce because that couldn't get down either. This was happening for no reason and would end up in Dr's office for deflate for no reason. After two years of that, I asked for a revision. My doctor told me no, I was still a success story with a total loss of 75 lbs post op (still considered severely obese) and told I must not be compliant with the plan. Define being compliant? I couldn't eat most the time...how was that ok? When I was able to eat, I ate what I could without fear of it causing problems and getting stuck. Don’t tell me I’m not compliant when I’ve expressed the challenges I’ve had from day one and constantly being told there was nothing wrong. At this point I was averaging 1200 calories a day and hadn't lost a lb in over 3 months. I was again told “in rare cases we see more challenges than others trying to figure out what causes the swelling or problems, but it’s a process”. After gaining 25 lbs from sustaining on liquids and slider foods, I again asked for a revisions and was told I was still a success story and having the risk of putting me under again was greater than the potential benfit of having the revision. I ended up asking for a complete deflate and let the doctor talk me into leaving 2ccs in the band as "something".

Another year later, I go to see a new doctor because I relocated. I find out I still have 4ccs in my band and that the dr had only taken out 2cc. No big surprise to me at this point that the other Dr did what they wanted to do. By the time I saw the doctor I had gained another 40 lbs. My own fault, I am not blaming the band or anyone else. I have had a lot big life changes that had me putting exercise and healthy eating on the back burner...and again, it isn't like I was able to eat fresh vegetables and grilled chicken breasts. And frankly, fattening food could go down with no pain. To this day if I want to eat, its chicken with lots of sauce, or foods that easily slide. With that said, the 3 years leading up that didn’t exactly help me develop healthy eating habits and if I didn’t have disordered eating before, it is 100% present now.

So here I am today, the last month having random acid reflux that ends up with my esophagus and band super tight and again unable to get anything down for a day or two. Now the past couple of days I have had the esophagus spasms where I can technically drink liquids and eat soft foods but with extreme pain as it goes down and constant back & left shoulder pain/burning. Just sitting here if I burp the pain instantly hits. I have a very high pain tolerance & pain threshold so it isn't that part that is bothering me. What is bothering me is that if all these people on these boards have similar issues over the course of years, and I have shown increasing symptoms for years of the band being a problem for me, why do the doctors immediately assume I'm non compliant? Why don't they move more aggressively? Why am I treated like an annoyance or problem or immediately assumed that I must have caused the tightening or swelling? Now I will go into the office, feeling like a complete failure because I haven't lost any weight since meeting this new doctor (I haven't gained either). In fact, I don’t even want to call to make the appointment because my emotional state just doesn't know if it can take once more being told some how I must have done something to cause it.

I want it out. I have asked two different "highly respected" doctors who have talked me into believing it must be me somehow. Now, almost 4 years later, I am 10 lbs lighter from weight on the day of surgery, in a lot of pain, and even more emotionally beaten down than I was 4 years ago. I don't usually post or vent like this, but I am truly at a loss for what to do next. Society says I'm unacceptable because of my weight. Heck, even some posters here treat those of us with these challenges like we are a problem child. Anyone who knows me knows that I believe in taking accountability for my actions. This is one time in my life where I feel that has been used against me and now has negatively impacted my health more than it ever helped. Family tells me to just make the appointment and ask for it out. I can do that. I know I need to do that. Yet after almost 4 years of being told it’s me, I’m the problem, it isn’t as easy as it seems.

Just out of curiosity....have you ever had an adjustment using fluoroscopy?

Just my experience, but a small tweak ( I'm talking .2cc's ) in volume can make a BIG difference...once you're close to correct adjustment. And there is NO WAY anyone can guess a blind fill that close....

I'm 5 years post op and have never had any band caused issues....maybe I'm just lucky? But I think it has a lot to do with followup, and fantastic aftercare by my surgeon.

It sounds like you've really had a tough time with your original surgeon. Hopefully, whatever you decide on, you'll find what works for you. Best wishes.

You sound like you are deeply struggling with the whole process. I am sorry that you didn't get better service from your first doctor. It sounds like he/she really let you down.

My suggestion is you start keeping an exact journal of what you eat, drink and when you exercise. Ten when you are ready start over with a new bariatric surgeon.You really need someone on your side who can guide you whatever direction is best for you.

Please don't give up mentally or physically. Fight for yourself to get this worked out in a positive way.

I have been banded twice. The first time worked wonderfully and I lost all my weight and maintained it for many years. I had that band taken out because I was living a thin life and started dating. I was terrified of telling my boyfriend about my port and surgery. It really hindered a healthy relationship because I avoided physical intimacy so he could not see the port and so I would not have to feel like a failure and tell him I have a lap band in my stomach. Anyway, years past and I could never find the resolve to learn how to be proud of my band so I got it out. Surgeon wasn't concerned at all and accepted that I wanted it out because of the dating situation. Then I gained all the weight back. It is not worth getting the band out when it works and is genius. You need to establish a good relationship with your band. You stated you are not eating right. Sliders and high calorie foods so you are not following the rules. You, like all of us, have to follow the rules. I gained weight by eating late at night. I ate every night after starving all day long. I ate ice cream. I ate fast food and I was numbed to the world. Food is a drug that numbs us. You have to stop numbing yourself and start respecting the band because it will work for you. Go to your appointments and be honest about what you eat and what you experience because we are lucky to live in a world that affords us the luxury of a lap band.

I am now banded for the second time. I am not in the green zone yet and I endure a lot of hunger. I have been filled too tight and was miserable for days. I was nauseas and couldn't keep liquids down. I was spitting up so much and burping I couldn't be around people but I went to the doctor and got unfilled. I don't eat late at night anymore because I am determined to be the thin happy person I used to be!! You are worth it dear......so please don't give up. Really think hard about getting the band out because I really regretted it and learned the hard way. Now I had the surgery all over again but I have a new respect for the band. I know it is just one part of many tools I must practice. Don't give up on your band yet..Jenn

HI!

Im sorry to hear how miserable you are and how having the band has contributed to that. I hear you being honest and forthright and genuine.

What's happening now is not healthy. From what you wrote, I understand you have brought symptoms to your surgeon(s) attention and whatever was done, did not address them to resolution.

I think, in your shoes, I would request a consultation about removing the band.

I'd be interested in a surgeon's reason for keeping it at this point.

Some people's bodies simply reject the band -- no one's "fault". It works for some and does not work for some.

I'm really sorry that your pain and discomfort were not adequately addressed from the very beginning. I understand how hard it can be to try to maintain any semblance of changing bad habits under that kind of duress.

I hope you can step away from "societies expectations" and away from perceived expectations on this board....and make your next move based on what is actually good for YOU. Just YOU.

This struggle with the band has gone on a long time.

I would get a consultation for removal. If it is decided to be in YOUR best interest to remove it, have your eating plan mapped out as well as your exercise plan and what you'll do for ongoing support from other people.

Keep moving toward your own personal goal of good health -- and make decisions based on THAT.

Having a lap band or having weight loss surgery is not the only way.

I had a similar experience as yours and toughed it out for 3 years until I finally saw clearly that I am the one who truly has my best interest at heart.

I was fortunate to find a second surgeon who wasn't invested in my being HIS success story.

Be your own success; blaze your own path. Focus your energy there.

I'll be interested in hearing how things go and what you decide to do.

You intervened on your own behalf to have the band put in; remember that.

You may need to intervene again :)

In the meantime, Keep your head up.

~hiddn