Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've had my lap-band for almost 7 years, and it's been a good tool for me. I've lost 100 pounds and kept it off. Recently I've been having a lot of trouble with pneumonia - I was hospitalized for a week and it's still lingering, and I'm a healthy 30 year old female. My doctor told me today that my band has slipped significantly and that it could be causing aspiration pneumonia.

I'm in a challenging spot....do I move forward and have the band removed all together? I'm emotionally/physically/mentally 180 degrees from where I was 7 years ago when I had the band put in. I think I can maintain the healthy lifestyle I've kept for these years. But then I wonder.. do I get the slip repaired, knowing that it may happen again in the future? The fear of gaining my weight back is my biggest worry, it's like being held prisoner psychologically.

Has anyone else out there been in a similar situation? Would love to hear your experiences, hard to find people to talk to about this.

I haven't had a band slip but from what I learned on here most doctors unfill your band and you go on a liquid diet and see if the band doesn't slip back in place. also if you need surgery it is very minor and just a bit invasive. I think we are all or should be concerned about slips. I would love to hear more from the veterans.

I had my band 3 years when it slipped and I began throwing up the lining of my stomach. My band was removed via emergency surgery 3 months ago. I had lost 124 pounds at the time. I have "found" 15 of those pounds. It is a struggle and I only wish they could have kept the band in place. The doctor told me this is normal and keep exercising and let life move along. In a month or two we will discuss my options. I don't think I have many as I don't weight but 155 pounds - I wanted to be 140. I feel fat and out of control. The doctor said that is normal too and just to hang in there. My band was going to kill me or at least cost me my stomach, it had to come out. I really miss it and I don't regret having the surgery in the first place. I don't know what will happen now. I hope you are feeling better and a decision has been made as to your next step. They did remove the Fluid and waited several hours but the band would not move. As I look back. My band probably slipped in January but it was late April before it gave me a hard time. Keep asking questions. That is the only way to take care of yourself. I wish I had been more pro-active. I perhaps would have been able to keep the band. Take care and good luck.

Melinda in Florida

I had my band remove 1.5 weeks ago and I already feel better in a way, and feel sad in a way. This is why it took me sooo long to make the final decision to have it removed. It wasn't totally the bands fault and it wasn't totally mine either. Hind sight is 20-20 so they tell me, so after I heal, I have to make another decision b/c I still have the same health problems as before and I still need to lose 60 lbs. I've tried every diet before deciding on the band, and yes it will be a struggle and I already know that. I plan to hit the gym and try to eat better. I will still start over again by following the lap band rules that I've been taught. My removal was out-patient and aside from my stomach looking as though the band was dug out, and I'm still a little sore, swollen, and itchy, I was told by my Dr. that everything is fine. I took meds and liquid diet the first 2 days and then back to a regular but sensible diet.

Edited by blackonynx