Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous and excited about surgery

Hi,

I am 26 years of age and my BMI is 32. I want to get this surgery done for SURE as I have dieted a lot and have gained all of it again a number of times and i feel like a YOYO. I have done a lot of research on this surgery and because I have PCOS my gyne also said i should opt for this surgery for permanent weight loss.

I already met with the surgeon and he said i should go for it but have to meet his dietician first. So I am going to meet the dietician in a couple of hours.

I want to know how long is the liquid diet for? I want to get the surgery in June and not any later as I have to travel in August to America for a wedding and I live in Pakistan.

How difficult is the liquid diet? Will I have to wait for a long time for the surgery cuz I read some places that they make you go on a diet for a long time before the surgery. :\

Also what tests do they do before the surgery? I am also worried that if the tests are not ok what if they deny me of surgery??

Any help will be appreciated.

Hope it all works out.

Good morning! That's wonderful you are thinking of this surgery for a tool to assist your weight loss! Each surgeon has a different method for/if you are required to be on a liquid diet. You'll read here that some patients don't have to do a liquid diet at all, but most do. I'm on my 2 week liquid diet now - surgery is day after tomorrow!!! Also, if you are going through insurance, the insurance company may have a specific plan for you to do before they approve you. If you are paying for the surgery yourself, then the process is much simpler. I am paying myself and all has gone VERY quickly. I only met with my surgeon 2 weeks ago, and now my surgery is Friday May 16.

Also, the tests that the surgeon wanted done prior to my surgery are: EKG, Chest X-ray, blood work, Upper G-I, Thyroid test and a letter from my primary doctor that she supported my surgery. Oh, also I had to see a psyciatrist for him to make sure I had the ability to understand the surgery and all involved, as this is very serious.

Hope this helps! There are a few steps involved, but it will be worth it! I'm so anxious to start this new chapter of my life!!! Good luck to you!

Wow thats great. You must be so excited.Hope it goes well.

Please let me know how it goes.

I am getting married in December and I want to lose this excess weight by then. And only my parents know about this decision of mine. I don't want anyone to know as its considered a taboo in my country so i'm looking for online support.

What all are you allowed to drink in the liquid diet? Is it very hard?

AWE!!! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! That's so exciting!! My liquid diet has been very easy. The purpose of the liquid diet before your surgery is for two things....one is to get your liver in a good condition so that the surgeon does not have difficulty getting to your stomach for the surgery. The liver is in front of the stomach, and the surgeon has to push the liver aside, so to speak, to be able to get to your stomach. If your liver is not healthy, or in a good, lean condition, the surgeon has more difficulty doing what he/she needs to do. Also, the liquid diet is to jump start your weight loss. It helps to get your mind and body ready for some major changes.

My liquid diet is 4 Protein shakes or bars during the day, with one Lien Cuisine meal. The total calories must not exceed 1200. The Protein Shakes are very good. I use Ensure High Protein Milk chocolate. They taste just like a great glass of chocolate milk!!! I love them! I usually have one shake in the morning, a Protein Bar late morning, a Lien Cuisine meal for lunch, then a shake late afternoon and a shake for dinner. AND, DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF Water OR CRYSTAL LIGHT!!! I've never peed so much in my life!!!! But, it's all doing what it's suppose to be doing!

Let me know if you have any more questions! I'm anxious to hear how your journey goes, and I'm anxious for my surgery in about 53 hours!!!!! (Not that I'm counting down or anything!!!)

Thank you :) The diet that they have given me is not liquid it's balanced meals low carb.

After two weeks they run my tests and then will give me a date... Hope my parents don't change their minds till then!

Good luck with your surgery. Be safe and careful :)