Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jodie & jnana , thank y'all for the prayers. It means a lot! My surgery in 33 hours.(: I'm skeered, lol. :)

I know I am nervous for next week too, but God is good...and now you have even more people praying for you. What time is your surgery Wednesday? You too, jnana..what time? I like to do extra praying during that time specifically. Hang in there ladies! We shall overcome!!

I know I am nervous for next week too, but God is good...and now you have even more people praying for you. What time is your surgery Wednesday? You too, jnana..what time? I like to do extra praying during that time specifically. Hang in there ladies! We shall overcome!!

Jodie, you are so right. God is good all the time. It comforts me to know more are praying for me. My surgery is at 730, but I arrive at 6. I'm more scared about the needles, Iv & shot before surgery. I know that's crazy tho.

I will pray for you on the 13 th as well my friend.

Hi all I too had the lab band in 2003 and had to have it remove in 2012 due to the reflux, I currently weight 200 at 5'6 I am have surgery June 25. I too am a little scared but with the power of prayer all will be fine.

I am keeping everyone in my prayers! I pray we all have safe and successful surgeries and we all get the results we wanted the first time around!! God bless

jnana and Jamiep5...how are you two doing? Jnana, did you have your surgery yet? Jamiep5, are you doing your pre op diet yet? I am finishing day 5 of Optifast Protein drinks..will do Clear liquids on Monday, then surgery on Tuesday! Wow, after waiting all those months ... it feels like it is coming fast now. Praying for us all to have a better, more healthy lifestyle.

I am leaning toward the sleeve but this post makes me double think. I used to get bad acid in my stomach and I always had a bottle of tums by my bed. However, about a year and half ago I found out I was type 2 diabetic and changed my diet - eliminating most processed carbs and cutting way back on even whole grains. Since then, i have not needed tums more than 1 or 2 times (usually after caving and eating too much pizza). I don't even keep a bottle around any more. Would this be of concern for getting the sleeve? I think my acid was entirely diet related but I don't know how that works.

@@Travelmego -- be sure to talk to your doctor about this. I have severe reflux and it is certainly influenced by diet but hearing the stories about the sleeve and reflux, there is no way I want to chance that. I'm sure your surgeon will be able to give you the best advice.

I find it interesting how resistant people are to get the bypass - - it is the most tried and true surgery and both sleevers and bypass patients have to take nutritional supplements for life. In my decision-making process, the bypass has better success rates and more overall weight loss (statistically) and with the danger of making the reflux worse, it was an easy decision.

Best wishes!

Thank you for your response. I know what you mean about the bypass. I was all for the bypass when I first started out but after reading about the less post surgery adjustments I have been leaning toward the sleeve. I was told that you don't have to take the diet supplements for life with the sleeve. I will have to check this out some more.

Even if one does have to take supplements - that is still better than HAVING to take diabetes medicine. Supplements are easy to obtain anywhere. This is an issue for me because I like to travel extensively overseas (for months at a time), and getting the diabetes medicine is difficult - especially when my insurance only pays for 30 days at a time. I would have to have it shipped to me each month and it has to be refrigerated. It just isn't very feasible.

Another issue I have with the bypass is that you can't eat certain foods. I would like to be able to eat as normal a diet as I can but in much less quantities obviously. And lastly, the sleeve is supposed to get rid of the hunger sensation. That appeals to me. I am not sure if the bypass eliminated the hunger stuff as well.

Edited by Travelmego

Hi everyone! I also had my band revised to RNY on May 7. My band was placed in 2001 and wasn't the adjustable type. It has been a constant struggle with reflux, vomiting, and I eventually got a fistula in my pouch. Now that I have the RNY my diabetes is essentially gone and I no longer need BP meds. But weight loss is so SLOOOOW!

Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck with your journeys to health. I need to stop focusing on the scale and keep plugging along ????.

Hi everyone! I also had my band revised to RNY on May 7. My band was placed in 2001 and wasn't the adjustable type. It has been a constant struggle with reflux, vomiting, and I eventually got a fistula in my pouch. Now that I have the RNY my diabetes is essentially gone and I no longer need BP meds. But weight loss is so SLOOOOW! Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck with your journeys to health. I need to stop focusing on the scale and keep plugging along dde0a.

Did you have a Molina band?

Hi Miss Tebowfan! Actually, I don't know what type of band I had. It was placed by Dr. David Hall in Lubbock TX and, according to my present surgeon, it was made out of some type of mesh that has been linked to several different issues (scarring, inflammation, etc.) So much scar tissue formed around my band that it had actually become adhered to my liver.

When I got my band in 2001 I don't believe the adjustable bands had been approved by the FDA. Dr. Hall was also not trained in laparoscopic procedures. He stated that he felt that lap wasn't as "safe" as doing the surgery open. In retrospect, I guess I should have run for the hills. There were so many red flags that I didn't recognize at the time!

Hi Miss Tebowfan! Actually, I don't know what type of band I had. It was placed by Dr. David Hall in Lubbock TX and, according to my present surgeon, it was made out of some type of mesh that has been linked to several different issues (scarring, inflammation, etc.) So much scar tissue formed around my band that it had actually become adhered to my liver. When I got my band in 2001 I don't believe the adjustable bands had been approved by the FDA. Dr. Hall was also not trained in laparoscopic procedures. He stated that he felt that lap wasn't as "safe" as doing the surgery open. In retrospect, I guess I should have run for the hills. There were so many red flags that I didn't recognize at the time!

Dr Molina invented the first band and it was not adjustable. In 1999, I had it and for years r I threw up everything. It was so tight nothing could go down. I lost down to a size 2, very tiny. I didn't know, but apparently it was an experimental band. Ugh! It was also not lapriscopic. Bypass surgery is a piece if cake compared to that surgery, not to mention that quack doctor didn't believe in pain meds.

Glad you are getting the bypass! You will be much happier and healthier!

Yes, it's amazing, isn't it? I find now that I don't get the sense of "fullness" when I eat solid food, but I can only tolerate a small amount of liquids at a time. The opposite was the case when I have my band! I'm also losing so very slowly, which is logical but still really disappointing.

How are things going for you?