Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not sure what to do so i'm posting in different places on here and hoping for the best. I'm tired of being overweight I have been like this my whole life. I know that I need help but don't know what to do. Theres just so much stuff on wls where do you start?

Hi Capricornsleever,

Welcome to the boards. You will find many answers to your questions on this site. I guess I'd say to start at the beginning like the rest of us did. The first step is to make an appointment with a weight loss clinic and/or go to a seminar about WLS. Once you have completed the seminar you will complete paperwork and the staff at the clinic will guide you in all of the steps you will need to follow. Many of us on this site have been overweight or obese for many years so understand your feelings in that regard. We too hit the that final wall where we just couldn't take it any more and started researching the best way for us to change our weight and our lives. What kind of surgery are you looking at? There are many forums on this site that address each kind of surgery and there is a group for each that feels their surgery is the best. Of course there are certain surgeries that are better at addressing various health issues so please discuss these with the staff and your doctor when you go for your visit. We are all here to support and answer questions. I'm a fairly new sleever myself but I'll be happy to answer any question you have. Good luck and don't be a stranger.

Hi Capricornsleever,

Welcome to the boards. You will find many answers to your questions on this site. I guess I'd say to start at the beginning like the rest of us did. The first step is to make an appointment with a weight loss clinic and/or go to a seminar about WLS. Once you have completed the seminar you will complete paperwork and the staff at the clinic will guide you in all of the steps you will need to follow. Many of us on this site have been overweight or obese for many years so understand your feelings in that regard. We too hit the that final wall where we just couldn't take it any more and started researching the best way for us to change our weight and our lives. What kind of surgery are you looking at? There are many forums on this site that address each kind of surgery and there is a group for each that feels their surgery is the best. Of course there are certain surgeries that are better at addressing various health issues so please discuss these with the staff and your doctor when you go for your visit. We are all here to support and answer questions. I'm a fairly new sleever myself but I'll be happy to answer any question you have. Good luck and don't be a stranger.

I am not sure what surgery yet. My biggest problem is that i don't have insurance or a regular doctor. I am healthy other than my weight, don't really get sick, so i have not been to a doctor in years.

Hey there. My name is Jen and I had my sleeve done back on 3/12/2014. My surgery was done by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. I can only tell you what my experience was but I hope it will be of some help. I have struggled with my weight all of my adult life. Some of it I attribute to laziness, some to three child births, some to certain Meds, and poor diet too. I wasn't really a grazer when it came to food. I

Anyway...I have 2 friends that had sleeve surgery in the US. They paid twice as much. Dr. Ortiz was my Doctor. Everything went just fine. I was one of 7 people having surgery on the same day and five of us came alone. We were only at the clinic for one night. They sent me back to the hotel with a bag of Meds ( they cost extra...$130.00ish) and a sheet explaining what the Meds were and when to take them. The pain medicine is a joke so if you have some, bring them. You will be glad you did. I went back to the clinic once to change out my dressing and, on day three, they took out my drainage bag. My friend that had her sleeve surgery in La. didn't have a stomach drain. I guess it depends who u go to. I am on week 7. I decided not to weigh myself until day 90. Just a personal preference. I will say that I am happy with what I see in the mirror and I have def dropped weight. Hope this helps. Good luck. You'll do great.

Anyway...I have 2 friends that had sleeve surgery in the US. They paid twice as much. Dr. Ortiz was my Doctor. Everything went just fine. I was one of 7 people having surgery on the same day and five of us came alone. We were only at the clinic for one night. They sent me back to the hotel with a bag of Meds ( they cost extra...$130.00ish) and a sheet explaining what the Meds were and when to take them. The pain medicine is a joke so if you have some, bring them. You will be glad you did. I went back to the clinic once to change out my dressing and, on day three, they took out my drainage bag. My friend that had her sleeve surgery in La. didn't have a stomach drain. I guess it depends who u go to. I am on week 7. I decided not to weigh myself until day 90. Just a personal preference. I will say that I am happy with what I see in the mirror and I have def dropped weight. Hope this helps. Good luck. You'll do great.

How much did you pay if you don't mind sharing? And what are the requirements for surgery in Mexico? What is the follow up like?

Hmm I thought from your screen name maybe you were looking at the sleeve? :D

Anyway where are you located? There are many places in the US that offer this surgery on a self pay basis for a very reasonable price as well if Mexico doesn't appeal to you.

Normally when you are paying your own way (whether in US or Mex) there are not too many requirements. I think they probably want you to be at least "obese" which is a BMI of at least 30. That plus the cost of admission is about it!

Some medical conditions (I know you said you don't have any) can cause a surgeon to recommend one surgery over another one for you -- but for the most part the choice of which surgery to have is left up to the patient (customer!).

Good luck.

I payed $6400 plus my plane ticket. They may be offering a special price that is cheaper. It doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe they will work with u on the price. As far as follow up, I haven't followed up with anyone yet. The one place I did call wanted a $500 new patient fee. Uh-BIG FAT NO THANKS. I really do need to at least make an appt with my GP or maybe a nutritionist . I am very good about making sure I take my three bariatric Vitamins each day, my B12 and my calcium citrate chewables also. I plan to see someone in the next 2-3 weeks.

Hmm I thought from your screen name maybe you were looking at the sleeve? :D

Anyway where are you located? There are many places in the US that offer this surgery on a self pay basis for a very reasonable price as well if Mexico doesn't appeal to you.

Normally when you are paying your own way (whether in US or Mex) there are not too many requirements. I think they probably want you to be at least "obese" which is a BMI of at least 30. That plus the cost of admission is about it!

Some medical conditions (I know you said you don't have any) can cause a surgeon to recommend one surgery over another one for you -- but for the most part the choice of which surgery to have is left up to the patient (customer!).

Good luck.

Yeah, i am leaning towards vsg, but open to suggestions. I guess if I choose something else the screen name would have to go lol. From everything I am reading, I am from the south, next to the NC border. I don't think the band is for me. I am 5ft 4, 265lbs, so that leaves me with bypass or sleeve. How bad is the mal-absorption as with the bypass, what about dumping syndrome?