Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post of story

So I was sleeved on the 16th of this month. I must say the first 48 hrs were the worst, but i had to keep reminding myself that I just had major surgery. Day one out of surgery when I went for my swallow test they told me I was the best patient so far they had, even though I was moving around like a pro, I was still in pain. I didn't wanna get any blood clots. Speed up to day 3, I was doing much better. I decided to go to my bff house to hang out she had a cook out. Now even though I wasn't feeling that well I still went, and decided to "try" and have a turkey burger. HORRIBLE IDEA. I felt it in my chest going down slow so much nausea it was unbelievable. I went home with massive gas that night. So the next day my bff mom had a cook out I taught maybe I could try it again. I had literally 2 strean Beans, a scoop of sweet potatoes, and a bite of chicken. This time my chest felt so tight I couldn't even play it off. Everyone was looking at me, about to call 911, I'm trying to convince them I was ok. I put on a fake smile and walked out side to my car soon as I bent over I spit up twice. The worst I tell u. I guess that's the dumping syndrome my surgeon was talking about not a pleasant experience. I swear I will never do it again, even though I felt much better after I spit up it was so awful I wouldn't wish that feeling on my worst enemies. Moving on to today. I am about to have a Protein Shake and do a mile with my preggo cousin. I feel a lot better even with my pain from the incisions. I go back to work on Thursday so let's see how it goes.

Did your doctor say it is ok to eat real food. Most people are on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and then soft mushy foods.

Your stomach was probably still swollen from the trauma of surgery. It wouldn't have healed enough for that kind of food yet.

Edited by pinkbarbie

You really need to stop eating real food.

You should be on Protein Shakes.

Did they not tell you this?

Wondering if your doctor gave you a diet to follow post-op? If not I think you should call and ask for some instructions regarding eating for these first weeks after surgery.

I am aghast. Have you not received a food plan for post op? Clear Liquids, full liquids, runny, mushy etc. Over several weeks. You run the risk of a serious complication up to and including death. Please, please read and learn before you do any further damage to yourself.

Oh, and that's not 'dumping syndrome' that's eating something entirely inappropriate for your stage of healing. Educate yourself quickly.

Please follow up with your doctors office for the appropriate coaching post op. Not sure if it was already shared with you but if not you need to seek help ASAP. My surgeon had a patient that tried eating chicken wings 3 weeks post op and ended up with a massive leakage and back in the hospital for days. It's absolutely not worth the additional pain and suffering. Please reach out to your bariatric center. You need to talk with a nutritionist and therapist ASAP. Hoping all works out better.

Thanks for all the concerns, to answer one if the first questions no, I was not instructed to eat regular food. But I just wanted to fit in. I spit everything back up later on and felt so Much better. I felt the food in my chest it never went down but I will not do it again it was so terrible. I am not gonna die over poor decisions like that. Truthfully I didn't even crave the food, I wanted it because it was there and everyone else was eating but I'm def sticking to Protein Shakes I can deal with them. I see my Doctor on Wednesday I will confuse but this is a lesson learned. Thanks for the concerns guys : )

. But I just wanted to fit in.

Truthfully I didn't even crave the food, I wanted it because it was there and everyone else was eating

That kind of thinking is probably what got most of us to our heaviest weights.

Take care to eat well in the furure :)

Yeah take it easy. I would avoid parties for at least a month until u can have solid food