Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I ever will be able to have a nice cup of coffe in the morning again?

I'll have my VSG next Tuesday (48hours) and among a bunch of questions one of them is if i would be able to drink coffe when I wake up like I use to....

Sorry to say coffee is one of my no-no drinks now. Every so often a very weak Decaf is tolerated. I still love the smell of a good strong brew, though so have to settle for that.

I have a nice big mug of black coffee every morning, no problems. I did avoid it for three months after surgery since coffee is acidic and can be hard on a healing stomach.

Omg... quit coffe makes me wonder how I'll be able to start the day since right now it's kind of a fuel for my engine to start the day!!! Thanks for reply... :(

It has been 4 months since I've had coffee. I thought I couldn't live without it every morning.... but now....I enjoy the smell but don't feel compelled to drink it. I have bad acid reflux and the thought of that pain is a turn off. I now reach for a Protein shake.

My doc allows coffee but instead I use chike high Protein iced coffee and a pump of sf toriani Syrup .. Yummmm and I use it as my Breakfast

I weaned off caffeine a couple months before surgery and actually mixed my morning Decaf coffee with Premier Protein vanilla during my preop diet. Post op I replaced coffee with decaf tea. I tried decaf coffee a couple times 2 and 3 months out, but it was too irritating to my sleeve. Now at 4 months I can finally drink it again. I still drink decaf when I make it at home, but I've had regular a couple times when I get it to go (love highlander grogg!)

...well I guess that there will be no coffe for me in a while...,let's see if my sleeve love it o not...

I'm sitting here with a piping hot cup of coffee right now. Yummo.

I had to give up caffeine prior to surgery - I went thru withdrawals and it sucked. After surgery, I wasn't cleared for regular coffee until week 12, but I had to pinkie promise my doctor that I wouldn't go back to my old habits of 4-5 cups of regular coffee per day. I was really frustrated early on - it would take me about an hour to drink a cup of coffee (decaf). I didn't enjoy it.

I'm now 5 months post-op and I enjoy my coffee, even a Starbucks skinny Carmel Macchiato on occasion. I drink 1 or 2 cups of regular strong coffee daily - I sweeten it with honey or Splenda and add a little milk or coconut Creamer.

I was ok'd for Decaf on my liquids phase and had no trouble at all, of course after about 2-3 ounces I was stuffed and ended up tossing the rest. Everyone's different I guess.

I also made a decaf coffee flavored Gelatin and topped with a splash of ff creamer, which was really good and gave me the coffee flavor...

I'm not sure how soon after surgery I started drinking regular coffee again, but currently I drink 4 to 6 cups a day with no problems.

Oh that's a good news, thanks!!!!

I was told to drink what I want. I have coffee, its made no difference at all.

It depends on your Doctor and the diuretic thing is a myth, your body adapts.

Do what you think is best :)

My surgeon and NUT allows Decaf. We've been doing Biggby, Tim Hortons or Dunkin Donuts decaf. They all taste great.

I weaned myself slowly off coffee several weeks before surgery so that I wouldnt have caffein withdrawal headaches while recovering from surgery. Dr. Said I had to give it up for recovery because it irritates the lining of the stomach, and when your stomach has just been cut....well lets just say further irritating it is not the best idea ;)

6 weeks after surgery I started drinking it again and had no problems. Every morning I have a cup of coffee with a vanilla premier shake (i like cold coffee). Then every afternoon I have a Chike coffee Protein shake. Those are SO frikkin good!