Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to be free from my cpap

Statistically I'm told over 70% of sleep apnea WLS patience no longer need cpap 6 mo post surgery. Personally I'm told that due to the narrow nature of my throat passage and extreme apnea I have the surgery may not help. Considering apnea is one of the reasons I've embarked on this journey I'm a bit upset at this new finding. Has anyone out there not been able to kick the cpap post surgery. ..why? I need some perspective.

Statistically I'm told over 70% of sleep apnea WLS patience no longer need cpap 6 mo post surgery. Personally I'm told that due to the narrow nature of my throat passage and extreme apnea I have the surgery may not help. Considering apnea is one of the reasons I've embarked on this journey I'm a bit upset at this new finding. Has anyone out there not been able to kick the cpap post surgery. ..why? I need some perspective.

a friend who is in the pipeline to have wls this summer will likely need to continue using her bipap. she not only has obstructive sleep apnea, but central sleep apnea too. she is not too upset, she loves that she is able to actually sleep when she uses it. why do you need to get rid of yours? i purely hated mine but learned after about 5 months to live with it. what is your BMI? your throat will get less "fat" and even extreme apnea will get better, but i dont think there is anyway to know who will and wont need if after losing weight.

I am a year out and still use mine. Part of that could be that I have not been checked out by a physician regarding my sleep apnea and the other part is I LIKE MY sleep. I took it off a few nights back and had those weird dreams again and woke up to go to the bathroom, etc. So I am thinking that maybe I still need it. Why, I don't know for sure, but I have gotten off 3 medicines and my numbers are great in regards to those problem areas so if I have to keep my CPAP in order to sleep, I am okay with that.

My bmi is a 40/41. I hate the cpap. Yes, I sleep better and less tired during the day, but I hate depending on it. I'm married! !! My hubby is super supportive but it can't be sexy sleeping next to me! I'm overly conscious of snoring on trains out planes. ... it's just a nuisance I was praying would go away. We do what we must but I will be praying for this one.

I'm 16 months out and still use the bipap. Took the home oxygen test at home. It was still dropping too low. Just had a vaginal lift surgery and used it in the hospital! Dr said he has kids and skinny people that need it! Disappointed but I feel better with it!

My bmi is a 40/41. I hate the cpap. Yes, I sleep better and less tired during the day, but I hate depending on it. I'm married! !! My hubby is super supportive but it can't be sexy sleeping next to me! I'm overly conscious of snoring on trains out planes. ... it's just a nuisance I was praying would go away. We do what we must but I will be praying for this one.

guessing your H would prefer you use a cpap than walking up next to a dead wife. that tends to be a total turn off, yk? (jk, but you get my point)

guess I am weird but I love my CPAP :P My husband doesn't mind it because the machine is quiet and I don't snore to wake the dead. Having some trouble with my mask fit now that I have lost some weight but I don't miss those wicked ass morning headaches and feeling like crap in the middle of the afternoon :)

I have an appointment with my sleep doc in July and I am hesitant to do that damn sleep study again to see if I need to continue using it--the study, to me, is worse than the machine so I will continue to use it as long as I can.

It is my understanding that some sleep apnea is caused by being overweight and some by the nature of your throat. It sounds like you have a very small passage, I have a friend who is skinny and has been her entire life and she has sleep apnea, sounds like you and she are built alike. ..

Edited by SnohoGal98296

I'm down 103 pounds, weigh 123 and still need the bipap. Dr said he had a woman who was over 400 pounds who didn't have apnea. Has kids on c-paps

I'm finally resolved. I've spoken with my nurse and surgeon and I'm resolved that my apnea will get better, but perhaps not alleviated. As a stance of faith I'm praying and believing otherwise but I acknowledge the potential outcome. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm pushing forward.