Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from Bristol or Essex in UK?

Hi all, I had my sleeve on 1st April 2014 so a couple of weeks ago. I live in Bristol and had my sleeve op there but spend a lot of time in Essex as that's where I grew up & my family still live there.

Anyway I'm looking for a support group and found one in Bath not far from Bristol but it's only every 2-3 months. Their next support groups not until mid May which is disappointing. I was hoping to find some others if anyone knows of any? It would also be nice to know if anyone else locally uses this forum?

I'm struggling a little with feeling disappointed that although I lost weight the scales seem to be staying the same. I didn't expect it to stop or slow down so soon after wls! I'm also finding I feel quite low and head hungers annoying me as I'm not hungry but am really really missing food.

Anyone else feeling the same? Or felt the same in the past?

Hello, I'm from the UK and currently unsleeved. I'm at UCH hospital in London and I'm from Essex. I'm not sure if they have support groups around here, that's why I come on here. It's always helpful to have people you can relate with. Hope things are going good for you! :) x

Hello, I'm from the UK and currently unsleeved. I'm at UCH hospital in London and I'm from Essex. I'm not sure if they have support groups around here, that's why I come on here. It's always helpful to have people you can relate with. Hope things are going good for you! :) x

Hi RobbieKatie,

Are you waiting to have weight loss surgery then? If so have you got a date? Are you having it on the NHS or privately? I agree it's defiantly nice to know other people who can relate to this process. So many people think it's an easy option, they couldn't be more wrong lol. However I am extremely happy I went ahead and can't wait to be a thinner healthier me. It's so exciting to have the opportunity to make this work.

I'll attach a photo with details I found on a website with details of a support group in London. I might even attend that one as well so might see you there. I hope it helps. Where abouts in Essex are you from? I've lived in Chelmsford, Romford & Gidea Park. :)

post-208391-0-48178200-1397681322_thumb.jpg

Hi I am also waiting for an operation at UCL in London they have recommended the sleeve to me as they said the band only has a 50percent success rate not sure what I will go for as the sleeve seems drastic to me. But 50 percent doesn't sound great either.

Androulla

Hi I am also waiting for an operation at UCL in London they have recommended the sleeve to me as they said the band only has a 50percent success rate not sure what I will go for as the sleeve seems drastic to me. But 50 percent doesn't sound great either. Androulla

Hi Androulla,

It's a hard choice but all I can say is it's only a tool to help you feel fuller quicker. So the sleeve might sound drastic but it's a life long tool to help you make permanent life changes for better health. From what I've heard about the band I'm glad I didn't have one. Sounds like too many people have complications with the band. I know you can still have complications with the sleeve so it does have to be your decision and what's right for you. I thought I was having the band until I met with my surgeon. I took her advise and listened to her reasons why straight away, agreed at that appointment the sleeve was right for me.

Let us know what you decide. ;))

Hi I am also waiting for an operation at UCL in London they have recommended the sleeve to me as they said the band only has a 50percent success rate not sure what I will go for as the sleeve seems drastic to me. But 50 percent doesn't sound great either. Androulla

Hi Androulla,

It's a hard choice but all I can say is it's only a tool to help you feel fuller quicker. So the sleeve might sound drastic but it's a life long tool to help you make permanent life changes for better health. From what I've heard about the band I'm glad I didn't have one. Sounds like too many people have complications with the band. I know you can still have complications with the sleeve so it does have to be your decision and what's right for you. I thought I was having the band until I met with my surgeon. I took her advise and listened to her reasons why straight away, agreed at that appointment the sleeve was right for me.

Let us know what you decide. ;))

Hi thanks for your message.Are you having the sleeve done soon? Or have you had it done already I have also researched the band and you are right there seems to be quite a lot of complications with it.Androulla

Hi thanks for your message.Are you having the sleeve done soon? Or have you had it done already I have also researched the band and you are right there seems to be quite a lot of complications with it.Androulla

Yes I had the sleeve on the 1st April 2014 so 1 month ago now. My surgeon explained that due to the success rate and complications of the band they are not doing as many as they used to. The sleeve seems to be much more successful. I'm 30 years old and due to my young age she suggested the sleeve. If I was older she said she might have suggested the bypass but once you've had the bypass if in the future I put on weight again there wouldn't be another weight loss surgery option. If you have the sleeve, loose the weight but then regain weight I then have the option of bypass. Fingers crossed that won't happen but I feel it's good I will have that option if needed in the future. I hope that helps you and let us know what you decide to have done. :)

Hi Gemma

I'm about to have sleeve surgery in Bristol. Can I ask if your surgeon was Sally Norton? If so, did she say what proportion of your stomach was removed? I saw Sally initially but now there's a new surgeon and he seems to take more drastic measures than I originally anticipated. I'm suffering from a lot of delays at the moment. Had my pre-op assessment back in April, eventually had a surgery date for last week but it was cancelled after I'd sat in the waiting room for 8 hours. No new date yet, all very frustrating.

Hope you're getting on well with your sleeve - would be useful to know how other local people are doing.

Hello Maggie,

I really do feel for you as the same thing happened to me. I waited all day, the first patient was having skin removed and took a lot longer than they thought. Another lady was cancelled and sent home. I finally went to theatre and when I woke up my operation had been cancelled as there was apparently a power cut right before they were going to start! I was told to continue on the pre op yoghurt diet and had my op the following week. So I really do understand how disappointed you must be feeling. Yes Sally Norton was my surgeon and despite the power cut etc I was really happy with her. I think Sally told me 75% was removed. I have heard about the current delays and change of surgeon and does sound like a nightmare. How much is the other surgeon saying they remove?

I'm doing well thankyou. Weight loss is slower than I thought it would be but at my follow up appointment I was told my weightloss was good and to try and slow it down as its healthier to loose at a slower rate. So that's what Im trying to doing. I am finding it tough though and keep reminding myself its only a tool to help feel fuller and so its all down to me to loose the weight. I'm trying to be more active and go to the gym daily.

Have they got any idea when your op will be? Keep your chin up, I know its hard and also mental tourture but your get there soon Im sure.

Gemma xxx

Hi Gemma

I'm about to have sleeve surgery in Bristol. Can I ask if your surgeon was Sally Norton? If so, did she say what proportion of your stomach was removed? I saw Sally initially but now there's a new surgeon and he seems to take more drastic measures than I originally anticipated. I'm suffering from a lot of delays at the moment. Had my pre-op assessment back in April, eventually had a surgery date for last week but it was cancelled after I'd sat in the waiting room for 8 hours. No new date yet, all very frustrating.

Hope you're getting on well with your sleeve - would be useful to know how other local people are doing.

Hello Maggie,

I really do feel for you as the same thing happened to me. I waited all day, the first patient was having skin removed and took a lot longer than they thought. Another lady was cancelled and sent home. I finally went to theatre and when I woke up my operation had been cancelled as there was apparently a power cut right before they were going to start! I was told to continue on the pre op yoghurt diet and had my op the following week. So I really do understand how disappointed you must be feeling. Yes Sally Norton was my surgeon and despite the power cut etc I was really happy with her. I think Sally told me 75% was removed. I have heard about the current delays and change of surgeon and does sound like a nightmare. How much is the other surgeon saying they remove?

I'm doing well thankyou. Weight loss is slower than I thought it would be but at my follow up appointment I was told my weightloss was good and to try and slow it down as its healthier to loose at a slower rate. So that's what Im trying to doing. I am finding it tough though and keep reminding myself its only a tool to help feel fuller and so its all down to me to loose the weight. I'm trying to be more active and go to the gym daily.

Have they got any idea when your op will be? Keep your chin up, I know its hard and also mental tourture but your get there soon Im sure.

Gemma xxx

Hi Gemma - sorry to hear you had the same delays - it makes it more nerve-wracking doesn't it? Yes I thought Sally said around 75%, so it was a shock to me when the new surgeon said he would be taking 90% and leaving me a stomach the size of his little finger. I do have a new date now - the 18th - and I'll be first on the list so fingers crossed I won't get cancelled/delayed again. At least I had a few days break from the yoghurt diet and will be going back on it on Friday. I've been keeping to a low carb diet this week anyway though.

I'm glad you're doing well even if it's a little slower than you anticipated - maybe that's why the new surgeon takes more away - at the moment I can't imagine how I'll manage to get good nutrition with a stomach that small but I guess I have to trust he knows what he's doing!

It's a shame there isn't a support group in Bristol - I would have thought there were enough people having the op in a city this size to make one viable. Don't want to travel to Bath to attend one.

Anyway, thanks for your reply and good luck with the weight loss.

Hi there how are you all doing. Getting sleeved in July 2015. Good to be reading about other peoples experiences in Uk

Hi there how are you all doing. Getting sleeved in July 2015. Good to be reading about other peoples experiences in Uk

Good luck with your surgery chrisredJeep. Looks like your starting BMI is similar to mine. I'm feeling so much better since surgery. Weight loss has slowed down a lot now (nearly 9 months post-op) but I'm happy with that as I don't want to be on an unsustainable diet. No regrets at all.

Hi. I am new and getting sleeved on in July 2015. MY Surgeon is Chris Wong in Bristol. I am a little scared about this as it is only recently I have ever though about having surgery after many years of failed dieting.

Can I ask a silly question, post surgery will I ever be able to enjoy a kids meal and a drink, or will it be a choice between one or the other? I am scared that eating out will be a situation I will avoid in future. Obviously I know that my portion size will be tiny, but if I have to choose between have a couple of (non-alcoholic, non-fizzy drinks) and a small meal, I think I may struggle.

Also, are there any sleever "in real life" meetings. I am from nr Bristol and would love to catch up with people that are in the same boat.

If there is ANY information you think I should know, good and bad, please let me know.

Hi Maggie May. Tell me how did you manage for the first 6 weeks. I have bought some items just wondering about slim fast?

Hi excited but nervous, when is your date, Im 16th July and counting the days. Im in Wales, up the M4 from you!

Mine is 23rd July with Chris Wong, who is your Surgeon Chris? Also, I was told by Mr Wong, that you can use SlimFast if you have them, but don't necessarily go out an buy any.