Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. in Calgary

Andrew,

When I was first looking into getting the band, I met Kathy from TLBC who was one of the first people in Canada to get the band and now works in patient support. She talked about how men more quickly loose their weight. I am quite jealous of how much weight you have lost. What other kinds of things have you been doing? Are you doing any exercise or is it just diet?

I see Dr. Descoteaux for my fills. I think he is the one heading up getting funding for the procedure and for getting the code for the fills. I will certainly let everyone know the code when it comes through. I don't know how long it will take, but every little bit helps.

One thing that has helped me get back on track is not only the fill but also a book I downloaded on my ipod from the iTunes store is You on a Diet by Drs. Oz and Rozien (sp?). For the first time I am starting to understand why I am so much different than the rest of my family. They talk about hormones, ones that make you feel full, hungry, desire, etc. As well as ways to help you reset the ones that you need. They have great discussions on physiology which really helped me understand my body and parts of the surgical report that I didn't know what they meant. The book is also available at costco for $18.49. I would really recommend it to anyone.

Keep up the great work.

Julie,

It is true that men lose weight faster than women. I am VERY happy with my weight loss to date, and I think that if everything keeps going in the general way that it has I will have lost half my excess weight by the end of may. I might have to adjust my goal up from 210 to 220 due to the body analysis that I have been getting. I have been putting on lean mass pretty well so that will change things. I would like to shoot for about 15%, as of my last fill on April 13 I was at 42% and I have lost about 10lb since then and I dont know how much muscle I have put on.

In terms of other things that I am doing, I spend 50 minutes on the eliptical trainer 4-5 times per week. I work out pretty hard and get my heart rate up to an average of 150 for most of that time. I am pretty fit that way, I like to say I am a distance runner trapped in a sumo wrestlers body. I also have an 11 month old boy who is into everything, and a job with some field work so that keeps me on the go.

I have taken a loot through the Dr. Oz book, and I found it pretty interesting. My wife has a copy. I was aware of much of the stuff in it as I have a biology background, and took nutrition courses at univeristy. I do like the way that he has written the book, his style of writing is really amusing. I also like the section where he talks about weight loss surgery. It is nice to see a Dr. talk about it in a balanced light.

It sounds like you are doing well. I will have to make a point of stopping in the CalgaryLapbanders site more often, but I have been really busy lately.

I will keep my eyes peeled for those AHC codes.

Andrew

I am from Calgary, but had my band done by Dr. Coburn in Toronto. From what I have seen there are no Calgary Bandsters here who were banded in Calgary by Dr.Mitchell/Dr.Descouteux here.

All the bands that are being done in Calgary being paid for by Alberta Health Care, and we dont have the option of paying the Calgary Docs to do ours. The Calgary Clinic is limited to doing 25 bands per year, and this is the first year that they are being done. My Dr. was the one that trained the Calgary Docs, and he told me that they did 12/25 bands for 2006 when he was here to train them.

If you want to have your band done in Calgary you must meet certain criteria for BMI & co-morbitities, be refered by you family Dr., be accepted by the clinic, go through a 6 month supervised weight managment program and be prepared to wait 1.5 years to get a consult and another 2.5 before surgery.

Getting a band in Alberta is really tough right now. I personally was not willing to wait that long, so had to do a self pay in Toronto. There is no option for self pay in Alberta at this time.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

How did you connect with Dr. Coburn in Toronto?? I think I'd like to pursue that avenue, rather than wait for it in Calgary. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.....

How did you connect with Dr. Coburn in Toronto?? I think I'd like to pursue that avenue, rather than wait for it in Calgary. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks.....

Simple as pie. Look here, Toronto Weight Loss Obesity Surgery Lap Band Bariatric Surgeon Gastric Bypass , call the clinic or send them an email and tell them you are interested in the surgery and they wil get the ball rolling.

It starts with a phone consult, and if you are interested they will walk you through the next steps liek some paperwork/questionaires you need to fill out.

Andrew

Simple as pie. Look here, Toronto Weight Loss Obesity Surgery Lap Band Bariatric Surgeon Gastric Bypass , call the clinic or send them an email and tell them you are interested in the surgery and they wil get the ball rolling.

It starts with a phone consult, and if you are interested they will walk you through the next steps liek some paperwork/questionaires you need to fill out.

Andrew

Thanks so much for your help on this, Andrew. Congrats on your success!....Bella.:cool:

Thanks so much for your help on this, Andrew. Congrats on your success!....Bella.;)

Hi Andrew,

Just wanted to says thanks so very much again for all your help and info. I contacted the Toronto clinic and.....well....I'm scheduled to be banded Nov 22. This is so amazing. I can hardly wait! My new life is about to begin. Thanks for sharing. And congrats on your continued success!...........Bella :)

Congratulations Bella - you won't regret it. The support offered by the staff, nurses, and physicians at the TLBC clinic is wonderful!

Cindy

Hi Andrew,

Just wanted to says thanks so very much again for all your help and info. I contacted the Toronto clinic and.....well....I'm scheduled to be banded Nov 22. This is so amazing. I can hardly wait! My new life is about to begin. Thanks for sharing. And congrats on your continued success!...........Bella :)

Great choice and congrat on making the first step. Nov.22 will be here in no time.

Andrew

Yes, I am Dr.Coburn patient so I see Dr. Botha, and there is Dr. Mitchell who will take all patients irregardless of surgeon.

Send me a PM if you need the numbers.

Was Dr. Coburn your surgeon, or are you still looking into the procedure.

Andrew

Thanks for the info Andrew. If you could give me Dr. Mitchell's number I will call to ensure I can go to him after surgery. I'm still getting all my facts together before I pick a doctor but I'm leaning toward Mexico.

Thanks for the info Andrew. If you could give me Dr. Mitchell's number I will call to ensure I can go to him after surgery. I'm still getting all my facts together before I pick a doctor but I'm leaning toward Mexico.

I will look up the number & send it to you. I have it at work, but I am not going back until Monday.

Andrew

Hi Koobiesmom

I requested a referral for WLS 2 years ago. After about 6 months I got a letter from the Edmonton clinic (Weight Wise, out of the Royal Alex Hostipal). I started trekking up to Edmonton for all my appts. It's not so bad. They put me on a diet and I've seen a dietitian, physiotherapist, phsycologist and finally this last time, the Dr. All have approved me for surgery and now I have one more hurdle: a psychiatrist. BAH! Always one more thing. At any rate, I'm almost 2 years in (will be by Feb 08) and I still don't have a surgery date. HOWEVER, the Weight Wise clinic is so incredibly professional and organized, I'd highly recommend them. I've lost 22 lbs with the dietitians help and look forward to my surgery appt soon. :)

Hi Koobiesmom

I requested a referral for WLS 2 years ago. After about 6 months I got a letter from the Edmonton clinic (Weight Wise, out of the Royal Alex Hostipal). I started trekking up to Edmonton for all my appts. It's not so bad. They put me on a diet and I've seen a dietitian, physiotherapist, phsycologist and finally this last time, the Dr. All have approved me for surgery and now I have one more hurdle: a psychiatrist. BAH! Always one more thing. At any rate, I'm almost 2 years in (will be by Feb 08) and I still don't have a surgery date. HOWEVER, the Weight Wise clinic is so incredibly professional and organized, I'd highly recommend them. I've lost 22 lbs with the dietitians help and look forward to my surgery appt soon. ;)

Do they do lapband or are they strictly a bypass program?

Andrew

The Weight Wise program does both LAP-Band and Gastric Bypass and is the only one in Alberta to do either laprascopically. That's why I'm going up there all the time. I'm only 33 and don't want to look like I've had open heart surgery at this age. I might actually want to wear a bikini some day! LOL! :eyebrows: