Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a pre op EGD because I have acid reflux. During the EGD Doc found that I have a "large hiatal hernia". I also need to have my gallbladder removed, so I will have all 3 procedures done at once. I really like the idea of taking care of everything while I am already on the operating table, but I wonder how this will effect recovery. Has anyone had hernia repair, gallbladder removal and sleeve at the same time?

I don't have a PhD, but I'm pretty sure that it is very common practice to fix the hernia with the sleeve. A hiatal hernia is where a portion of your stomach has bulged above the diaphragm. The surgeon would fix this in order to even perform the VSG. A high majority of surgeons remove the gall bladder if there are any stones present, or remove it as a preventative measure.

I know I went back to work about a week after my gall bladder was removed with no problems at all. I haven't had my sleeve yet, so I'm unable to help with an estimated recovery time.

Good luck and best wishes on your journey,

April

I had the sleeve and hitial hernia, which I didn't know I had until I woke up. I'm suppose to be on purees but sticking to liquids

I had all three. Left the hospital the next day. Needed no pain meds, had zero gas, and had very minimal nausea. Was walking 5 miles a day by one week out. It was amazing. But everyone is different.

I just had my sleeve 4 days ago but also woke up to having a hiatal hernia fixed and my gallbladder removed! The problem I'm having is gas, drain tube hole but they took me off work 4-6 weeks!

Just found that I will also be having all 3 done at once. That's is provided my surgery is approved soon. Dr wants to remove gallbladder within a few weeks at the latest .

Checking in post op. I was sleeved + hiatal hernia repair + gallbladder removed on 10/22/13. Wherever I got the idea that this would be a painless procedure was CRAZY!!! Pain has been severe from incisions and gas. I just got released yesterday 10/26/13 because my blood count levels had dropped and they had to make sure I didn't have internal bleeding. That was slightly scary. I walked a lot while I was at the hospital, but probably didn't drink enough. Drinking Water and Protein Shakes have been easier since I've been home. I got a tub of Pure Protein chocolate frosty flavor Protein Powder. It is really tasty. My 1 week checkup is tomorrow, hopefully I will get cleared to phase 2. I have felt hungry today and would like something more than clear liquid.< /p>

Checking in post op. I was sleeved + hiatal hernia repair + gallbladder removed on 10/22/13. Wherever I got the idea that this would be a painless procedure was CRAZY!!! Pain has been severe from incisions and gas. I just got released yesterday 10/26/13 because my blood count levels had dropped and they had to make sure I didn't have internal bleeding. That was slightly scary. I walked a lot while I was at the hospital' date=' but probably didn't drink enough. Drinking Water and Protein shakes have been easier since I've been home. I got a tub of Pure Protein chocolate frosty flavor protein powder. It is really tasty. My 1 week checkup is tomorrow, hopefully I will get cleared to phase 2. I have felt hungry today and would like something more than clear liquid.[/quote']

Way to go! That amazing that you are doing so good. I have just started on this journey. Going to my first consult with the doc on 11/11.

What helped the most before and after surgery?

Well, I would love to say that my experience was great, but unfortunately I had some complications. Since my surgery on 10/22/13 I have been hospitalized twice. It was pretty scary. My initial hospital stay was extended because my hemoglobin count dropped for a couple days in a row. The Dr said that could indicate some internal bleeding. The numbers weren't drastic so he thought I probably had some "oozing" along the staple line. After a few days the numbers leveled off and began rising. I was walking in the hospital and seemed to be doing well, so I was released. A few days later was my 1 week appointment. On that day my heart rate was elevated (116 resting) so they were a little concerned, but I dismissed it as rushing in for my appointment. I was having some difficulty with swallowing, it felt like every drink sat it a funnel then trickled down. It 'gurgled' a lot. Again, I just thought it was part of the deal and would get better in time. By the end of that week I was still experiencing a lot of pressure and rapid heart rate (124 laying down after a nap) and I started having chest pain. I called my Dr and he advised me to go to the ER and he would call ahead with orders. It turned out that the "oozing" must have been a limitless more than expected. Cat scan revealed that I had a hematoma the size of a large orange next to my sleeve. I went back to surgery and they drained 300 cc of old blood out, then left a drain in for a few days. It was also identified that there was some infection so they then called it an abscess. I was in the hospital for about 4 days. Two days after I was released I felt great. Getting that pressure of that abscess off made a huge difference. I went to Dr office to have the drain removed. I guess drain removal is not a big deal, they pull it out then put a bandaid over the hole. I had never had a drain removed, so when it hurt I just assumed it was to be expected. It felt like I was ripped from one side of my abdomen and all across my ribs in the path of the tube. By the time I got home the pain was excruciating. I called my Dr to ask if it was normal or not (I really didn't want to go back). He said that maybe all the Fluid hadn't drained and could have filled back in the space after the drain tube was removed, which would cause pain. We agreed to watch it overnight then touch base the next day. But late that night I still hadn't gotten any relief from the pain meds or hot/cold compresses. It hurt to breathe, like I had been kicked in the ribs, and it couldn't move a muscle without severe pain. I was dizzy, seeing spots, had a cold sweat that soaked my clothes and a 101.2 temp. The pain was so bad I had to call an ambulance. It was so scary. Another CT scan showed more fluid in the same area, so they did another procedure to drain the fluid and insert another drain tube. That was fun!! I was awake for that torture. I have 4 kids and never screamed during childbirth, but I screamed being jostled and positioned for this ordeal. They treated me with antibiotics and pain meds for pleurisy. I spent 7 more days in the hospital. I was released This past Fri (11/15/13) and am feeling a little better each day. Tomorrow is 1 month since my surgery. I have lost almost 20 lbs since surgery date. I sure hope I am past all the drama.

Omg, girl!! I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that!! Keep your chin up and stay positive and you'll feel better before you know it.