Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did everyone lose before surgery?

22 lbs on the pre surgery liver shrinking diet. It got me in ketosis so weight loss was non stop post surgery.

I wasn't required to lose or on any specific pre-op diet other than being told to "cut back". From the time I started seeing the doctor I went down then up. On the day of surgery I had lost 2 lbs from my last doctor's appt, which was also my highest weight.

I haven't had surgery yet (waiting for a date) but I have lost and gained the same 20 pounds over the past 12 months, trying and failing to follow the goals I set each month with my coach. The last time I actually gained an extra 10 pounds on top of the 20 I kept gaining and losing all year.

But, I guess something clicked in me on September 29th. Not even 2 months ago I weighed in at my max 491. Now I am down to 438. Lost over 50 pounds and lose more almost every day. Really cut back, focused on Protein, cut out most carbs, almost all processed carbs/sugar and am faithfully tracking on my WW app. But what's really done it for me is that I make sure to do something physical or go to the gym almost every single day. Water aerobics and rotisserie chickens. If I take an "off" day I try to go shopping or something where I'm at least walking around a bit.

And honestly? I think I didn't have the motivation to do all of this until I joined dietbet. (Around Oct 7th.) Getting paid to lose weight is incredibly rewarding. You just join a game and bet a certain amount (my first was 15 dollars) and at the end of the month you split the winnings with everyone else who has lost at least 4% in 4 weeks time. I will have to quit the site once I have surgery, because I will be disqualified for losing too much too quickly, but for right now, it is an amazing incentive!

I wasn't required to lose any weight before surgery approval.

I started the process on October 31, 2014 at 529lbs.

My pre-op diet (four weeks) started on Feb. 5, 2015 and I was 517lbs.

My surgery was done on March 5, 2015 and I was 480lbs, making a 37lb weight loss in four weeks.

Today, a week and a half later I am 467lbs, for a total of 62lbs since starting this journey.

I wasn't required to lose, but I lost 60 pounds prior to surgery by following my nutritionists " get ready for bariatric surgery" suggestions.

nothing. Not required. I will have a 1 week liquid liver shrinking diet right before surgery. I am actually on the low end of the 40 BMI...meaning I barely squeeked by with no comorbidities to get insurance approval.

I was self pay, so no insurance requirements. But my surgeon in Mexico required a 5% weight loss on the 2 week preop diet (3 Protein shakes/day and leafy greens). For me, that was 12 pounds. I was nervous I wouldnt lose it all so I started 2 days early and followed directions to a T. I ended up losing 22 pounds in 16 days. But that was definitely a one time thing...I never lost that much that fast postop. But I still hit and even passed my goal weight. You will, too.

Edited by Kindle

I didn't have a preop diet. I think I lose maybe 2 lbs (purely unitentionally) prior to surgery.