Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

How many people ACTUALY die or have complications?

Views
Started by danelle235, May 05, 2013 12:53 PM
2 replies to this topic
2 replies to this topic

danelle235

Expert Member

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
Posted May 5, 2013 - 12:53 PM

There doesn't seem to be any consistent information out there. We know that 1 in 100,000 people die in skydiving accidents. 18 per 100,000 people die in car accidents with South-East Asia and Africa having the highest rates. Can anyone tell me the risks/ statistics of this surgery to put in in perspective??

WorkItOutWoman

Expert Member

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgeon: Michael Snyder
  • Surgery Date: Mar 2013
  • Height: 5 feet 5 inches
  • Starting Weight: 270
  • Weight Lost: 78
  • Current Weight: 192
  • Goal Weight: 150
  • BMI: 31.9
Posted May 5, 2013 - 12:59 PM

Ask your specific surgeon how many leaks deaths their specific practice has had. This is a better Indictator IMO.

ShrinkingBiker

Guru in Training

• Surgeon: Wai Yip Chau
  • Surgery Date: Mar 2013
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Starting Weight: 336
  • Weight Lost: 135
  • Current Weight: 201
  • Goal Weight: 185
  • BMI: 29.7
Posted May 5, 2013 - 1:03 PM

I've seen it listed as low as .01% up to 2% but keep in mind.. This is a surgery like any other.. Things CAN go wrong, but as long as you have a very competent doctor most likely you will be fine.

There is a risk of leaks after, but most doctors test and retest for them, so as long as you follow their diet you should be ok. Blood clots are another.. My doc had leg squeezers on me, and blood thinners.. Walk as much as you can post surgery to help with those as well. Infection is another risk.. Keep your wounds clean and wash your hands regularly.

What I am getting at here is it is a surgery, but you and your doctor can do a lot to prevent these things from happening. Follow the instructions given to you and you should be fine..

I had it in my head that I may not make it off the table, and it was just added stress for nothing as I am alive and well and lost 60 lbs already. It's worth the risk in my eyes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Topics with No Reply